Gransnet forums

News & politics

JRM - man of principle

(145 Posts)
maryeliza54 Wed 27-Mar-19 10:54:06

He’s really stuck to what he believes in hasn’t he? His supporters must be so proud of him ( not to mention Nanny of course). So he gets the chance to change his mind but the great unwashed don’t?

mostlyharmless Mon 08-Apr-19 10:54:07

This is Geoffrey Cox the Government’s Attorney General with the theatrical, booming voice talking about Brexit on a BBC podcast. He’s another Brexiteer who’s having serious doubts about Brexit.

“I just feel we have under-estimated its complexity. We are unpicking 45 years of in-depth integration. This needed to be done with very great care, in a phased and graduated way. It needs a hard-headed understanding of realities”

varian Mon 08-Apr-19 10:05:24

I think someone like Peter Oborne, who has in the past been very strongly pro-brexit but has now realised he was mistaken, could have more influence than those of us who always thought brexit was wrong.

mostlyharmless Mon 08-Apr-19 00:22:36

Peter Oborne, one of the most ardent Brexiteers (he writes for the Mail and the Telegraph) has shocked everyone today by changing his mind about Brexit.

It’s nearly three years since I, along with 17. 4 million other Britons, voted for Brexit. Today I have to admit that the Brexit project has gone sour.

Brexit has paralysed the system. It has turned Britain into a laughing stock. And it is certain to make us poorer and to lead to lower incomes and lost jobs.

We Brexiteers would be wise to acknowledge all this. It’s past time we did. We need to acknowledge, too, that that we will never be forgiven if and when Brexit goes wrong. Future generations will look back at what we did and damn us.

So I argue, as a Brexiteer, that we need to take a long deep breath. We need to swallow our pride, and think again. Maybe it means rethinking the Brexit decision altogether.

Its worthwhile reading the full article. www.opendemocracy.net/en/opendemocracyuk/i-was-strong-brexiteer-now-we-must-swallow-our-pride-and-think-again/

paddyann Sun 07-Apr-19 23:01:20

thats part of the problem granny70's YOU believe there is an true UPPER class.....the class system is a huge part of the problems in this country ..When people are living on the breadline and Lizzie is taking £82 MILLION a year plus all her wee perks and expenses its a very sad indictment of how peoples minds work .Somehow they believe shes worthy of special treatment ? Why exactly ? Royalty and"class" Knights and Lords and EMPIRE medals are out of date ..a medieval concept .JRM is a prime example of the arrogance and entitlement these people use to make others believe in their superiority.

maryeliza54 Sun 07-Apr-19 22:12:30

.Jabber I blame nanny. If only she’d brought up Jakie to be better behaved then he’d have set me a better example but there you go. He started it so it’s not my fault?

varian Sun 07-Apr-19 17:45:34

If a Brexit delay meant the UK being – thanks to the need for us to participate in May’s European elections – “stuck” in the EU, then it would be incumbent on our representatives in Strasbourg to be “as difficult as possible”.

Rees-Mogg suggested such wheezes as a veto on any increase in EU budgets, the obstruction of any moves towards the creation of an EU army and a block on what he described as French president Emmanuel Macron’s “integrationist schemes”. As is the norm with a frustrated hard-Brexiteer, Rees-Mogg lashes out at others when things don’t go his way. The frightfully polite gentleman schtick evaporates and the teeth are bared beneath that stiff upper lip.

www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/euan-mccolm-rees-mogg-s-hissy-fit-as-lies-come-home-to-roost-1-4903254?utm_campaign=The%20Scotsman%20-%20Daily%20RSS&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=71519885&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--DW28BqKUGK-TjTMaj58aOyHx-kDar_7Aitr--0JG9qveOqJyiW660RzhLKK2j8ARqjeJPsLg59L03FSZUpU3zZ9BOmg

Jabberwok Sun 07-Apr-19 17:25:34

What some pathetic posts! Surely ladies you can do better than this childish sarcasm!

maryeliza54 Sun 07-Apr-19 16:45:50

My behaviour can be put down to not having a nanny - woe is me.

trisher Sun 07-Apr-19 16:37:07

Well it's the naughty step for you maryeliza54. JRM may, or may not, be joining you. it all depends on Nannie

maryeliza54 Sun 07-Apr-19 14:05:20

Oh woe is me - so completely busted

Firecracker123 Sun 07-Apr-19 13:53:01

That's the gist of it. It's blatantly obvious in all the Brexit threads and it's not just you.

maryeliza54 Sun 07-Apr-19 12:33:04

Oh Firecracker you have rumbled me - what more can I say? I’m such a simple soul.Leavers = Bad people, Remainers = Good people.

M0nica Sun 07-Apr-19 12:26:46

Hang on Annie, I am agreeing with you ditto on the cleaner, I do my own cleaning, next door, several neighbours have a cleaner. We all get on very well.

Firecracker123 Sun 07-Apr-19 12:22:02

So predictable you just don't like him because he supports Leave.

maryeliza54 Sun 07-Apr-19 12:09:22

Oh trisher you are being very mean now and just engaging in class warfare. Shame on you

trisher Sun 07-Apr-19 12:06:36

I think that might have already been tried maryeliza54 and look at the result (or perhaps it wasn't and Nanny was too nice to him). Suggestions about how he might be dealt with can be sent in a sealed envelope to JRM c/o the House of Commons. Envelopes should be clearly marked "Only to be opened by Nanny".

maryeliza54 Sun 07-Apr-19 11:58:53

Spot on varian. He’s in a strop because he’s not so much the poster boy now. Nanny should send him to bed without any supper imo.

varian Sun 07-Apr-19 11:31:46

Mogg has revealed just how petty and ridiculous he is by saying if we have EU elections the UK MEPs should make as much trouble as possible by trying to sabotage EU business. This from someone who previously said the EU was undemocratic and the UK had no influence.

maryeliza54 Sun 07-Apr-19 10:14:11

I dislike class war. Well given that the rich, priveleged and powerful have always fought it, so do I but as they started it.......

maryeliza54 Sun 07-Apr-19 10:12:10

Most of us who think JRM is an entitled, priveleged, self absorbed egoist totally lacking in any principles whatsoever who is rapidly approaching both his ‘best by’ and ‘use by’ dates just think the Nanny thing is an example of what is wrong with him and his ilk but not what is fundamentally wrong with what he represents. He has had a sticky week trying to justify why he supports the right wing thug party AfD.

Anniebach Sun 07-Apr-19 10:06:28

MOnica should I ridicule those who have a cleaner because I don’t ?

I so dislike class war.

M0nica Sun 07-Apr-19 09:59:22

Annie I agree, I mean lots of people leave their children with childminders, friends, family members, nurseries and nannies of various kinds.

At various times when DC were small I paid friends to look after them after school, as does DS and DDIL for their DC now.

Anniebach Sun 07-Apr-19 09:11:29

I am baffled that some keep on about him having a nanny when a child and his children having a nanny now .

M0nica Sun 07-Apr-19 09:07:31

What is wrong with being a potted plant? Better than being a pernicious weed.

Grandma70s Sat 06-Apr-19 09:33:19

Snobbery is the domain of those who are striving to be in a higher social class, or have recently risen from a lower one. The true upper classes are not snobs.

I agree on the whole with both Gabriella and Monica.