Gransnet forums

News & politics

Parliament at it's worst.

(39 Posts)
POGS Wed 27-Mar-19 22:15:58

I have watched the debates all day and tonight confirms my opinion Parliament has become a farce and to be frank the votes tonight simply confirmed the waters are further muddied by meddling .

All 8 Amendments were voted down and I couldn't believe the hypocrisy of some of the MP's who ' still ' refuse to accept their ' red lines ' have been put forward and tested and failed.

The Speaker is out of his depth.

Nonnie Fri 29-Mar-19 15:59:07

I think I remember that when David Cameron went to the EU to try to get us a better deal he said that, if he failed, there would be a referendum. He failed so had no choice.

I am happy to admit I got it wrong when I thought T May would make a good PM. I didn't just think she would be better than the others, I thought she would be good. Looking back I'm not sure any of the others would have been better but it would have been better for the country if one of the arch Brexiteers had taken the job and had to admit they couldn't achieve what they promised. Then we would all have known the truth.

varian Thu 28-Mar-19 19:42:19

Try saying "if we leave the EU" not "when", lemon.

I assume you are not an emploee of the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation.

lemongrove Thu 28-Mar-19 19:27:56

Disenfranchised? They are EU citizens and are able to vote on matters in their own countries, why the heck should they have a vote here?
Under 18? So no vote there either!
You really are scraping the barrel.

lemongrove Thu 28-Mar-19 19:24:51

varian you will still be disseminating ‘numbers’ years after we have left the EU.

varian Thu 28-Mar-19 18:25:06

These 49 million people, some of whom voted to remain and some who were disenfranchised like the 3 million + EU citizens living in this country and paying taxes, and some who were too young, although they might have been old enough to vote in the 2014 Scottish referendum, get married, serve in our armed forces, pay taxes, or some UK citizens living in other EU countries who would be very much affected by brexit.

All these people have been totally ignored for the last (almost) three years. That is why so many marched in London last Saturday and so many have signed the petition to Revoke Article 50.

GabriellaG54 Thu 28-Mar-19 17:54:25

humptydumpty
I didn't write/say/infer/propose that I had any idea why those who didn't poll their votes, didn't vote.
I merely observed that Varian's comment that 49m people didn't vote to leave, was disingenuous in that it implied that a greater number didn't vote to leave than voted to leave.
It's all in the wording.
One can imply without being accurate which is, as I said, disingenuous.

humptydumpty Thu 28-Mar-19 16:55:36

The point is GG54 if there is a second referendum, hopefully more people will see the importance of voting and participate. I can't see any point in your observation - you have no more of an idea than any of the rest of us why those people didn't vote.

Anja Thu 28-Mar-19 16:37:42

These, and other, alternatives ought to have been put to the house at the start of the Brexit process so they could be explored and thrashed out.

I see Letwin’s proposals as a effort to find a way out of the current impasse.

GabriellaG54 Thu 28-Mar-19 16:27:22

49m people didn't vote to leave?
I think that is a very disingenuous statement.
Millions couldn't be bothered to vote and those who voted to stay were approx 1.4m fewer than those who voted leave.

Jabberwok Thu 28-Mar-19 15:01:06

No Annie, Cameron didn't shuffle in Mrs May, he'd run away by then!!!!! and yes I do remember Boris and M.G., but lets face it it wasn't a proper selection process and the Conservative hierarchy did elect Mrs May on a bit of a wing and a prayer!!

varian Thu 28-Mar-19 14:39:39

In the end there was no contest as the other possible candidates dropped out one by one, usually because they were discredited. TM kept her head down. In the end I was actually rooting for her , on the basis that , at least she wasn't Andrea Leadsum.

I think she had quite a lot of public sympathy, even support, at first from folk who thought she'd been given the poisoned chalice, but that soon evaporated because of her behaviour, failing to consult other parties in spite of advice to do so from her senior civil servants, going overboard to pander to the Kippers and ERGs and totally ignoring the 49 million people living in the UK who did not vote to leave, laying down ridiculous red lines which made it impossible to achieve a coherent deal, saying she would not call a snap election then calling one, telling us all how strong and stable she was, then losing her majority and spending £billion of taxpayers money to get the support of the DUP, who have always hated the Good Friday Agreement and want to wreck it and going on and on and on about honouring the (fraudulent) referendum and "delivering" brexit and telling everyone else to compromise when she is so patently unprepared to do so.

Anniebach Thu 28-Mar-19 14:13:10

Cameron didn’t shuffle in Mrs May, there was a leadership contest , do you not remember Gove and Johnson’s antics ?

Jabberwok Thu 28-Mar-19 14:04:55

David Cameron running away almost before the result was confirmed has been a good proportion of this shambles. He didn't want to face the EU - well ok!!! but surely at least he could have stayed as PM long enough for the Conservatives to have a proper leadership contest and pass the baton on in an orderly fashion instead of shuffling in the first person available! That way Mrs May might never have been voted for and we might well now be in a different place. His behaviour was quite disgraceful both to the country and to his party as the good people of Witney, ( just a few miles from us) made crystal clear! As for a second vote? If politicians can't decide what to do, how on earth can we? Passing the buck?!! I for one am not falling for that again - YOU signed article 50 en masse, for whatever reason!! YOU went to the country on the back of delivering brexit, so YOU pull yourselves together and do what you led us to believe was possible.

GabriellaG54 Thu 28-Mar-19 13:51:54

My MP is Foreign Secretary, Jeremy Hunt who may be in the running for PM. I hope so, as he is least likely to upset the apple cart and is a true Conservative.

varian Thu 28-Mar-19 13:00:44

Our right wing Tory MP, listed as a member of the ERG was threatened with deselection by the "bluekippers" in his local association. He has now caved in and supported no-deal in spite of having reassured his constituents that a no-deal brexit would never happen.

Fennel Thu 28-Mar-19 12:54:46

Thanks for posting the voting results Pogs.
The closest was staying in the customs union.
I think if TM would bend a little and add that to her deal Bercow would allow the vote and it would pass.
But the hardline brexiteers wouldn't like it.

1inamillion Thu 28-Mar-19 12:47:01

Did he really Urmston, wonder what his constituents voted for.
My constituency voted out by 55% yet we have a remain MP.

Parliament is currently a laughing stock.Mr Bercow is there to ensure fairness. .....I agree with previous comment, that he is out of his depth.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Mar-19 10:30:43

Hey get this.

Dennis Skinner voted for no deal last night.
Think about that.

craftyone Thu 28-Mar-19 10:26:16

I will vote for my mp again, he was against 7 and for the no deal, as his constituents, including farmers, wanted

Parliament and turncoat, self-serving mps are an absolute farce. I don`t listen to or watch news any more

mcem Thu 28-Mar-19 10:22:13

Far less horrific if FPTP were to be abandoned.
Then they'd be forced to compromise and reach consensus regularly.
Clearly the idea of co-operation is alien to them.
The proposal that came closest to achieving any kind of support was for the second referendum.

Nonnie Thu 28-Mar-19 10:19:00

jura & Urmston my MP, who campaigned to Remain but has now become TM's lapdog, was not in the House yesterday to hear the debate but did vote. I think that shows he had already decided and wasn't open minded enough to listen.

On the radio this morning M Beckett was quite sanguine about the vote yesterday, said it was always going to be the case that the most popular would be discussed and voted on again on Monday.

TM's latest tactic looks like it has failed too.

I watched most of it yesterday with DH checking that I hadn't thrown something at the TV.

Jane10 Thu 28-Mar-19 10:16:43

It just gets worse and worse. I'm so ashamed of our MPs.

Urmstongran Thu 28-Mar-19 09:40:10

jura2 that is because the government ministers purposely abstained. They didn’t want the indicative votes to take place. They have already indicated they will not take them into account so there was no need to be present.

jura2 Thu 28-Mar-19 08:46:07

that video is truly shocking - the opposition benches full - and the Government benches almost empty, with none or very few of the key players - a mockery

jura2 Thu 28-Mar-19 08:44:24

Margaret Beckett was very dignified and spot on - respect:

www.facebook.com/adigitalrecruit/videos/10157234738043223/