Gransnet forums

News & politics

Parliament at it's worst.

(38 Posts)
POGS Wed 27-Mar-19 22:15:58

I have watched the debates all day and tonight confirms my opinion Parliament has become a farce and to be frank the votes tonight simply confirmed the waters are further muddied by meddling .

All 8 Amendments were voted down and I couldn't believe the hypocrisy of some of the MP's who ' still ' refuse to accept their ' red lines ' have been put forward and tested and failed.

The Speaker is out of his depth.

megan123 Wed 27-Mar-19 22:27:33

What a shambles!!

POGS Wed 27-Mar-19 22:32:40

Results

1. Leave without a deal: Ayes 160, Noes 400

2. Common Market 2.0: Ayes 188, Noes 283

3. EFTA and EEA: Ayes 65, Noes 377

4. Customs Union: Ayes 264, Noes 272

5. Labour’s alternative plan: Ayes 237, Noes 307

6. Revoking Article 50: Ayes 184, Noes 293

7. Confirmatory public vote: Ayes 268, Noes 295

8. Contingent preferential arrangements: Ayes 139, Noes 422

And they are still talking as though they have a chance of getting their way.

MaizieD Wed 27-Mar-19 22:38:10

Well, this Parliament is what we've got and all of us who have voted over the years are complicit in what we have now because there has been no appetite for changing the system in all those years (which must be 40+ years for most of us).

So there's no point in complaining about it now.

Urmstongran Wed 27-Mar-19 22:43:10

Tonight has been a rollercoaster.

How did 17 million voters choose all these different Brexits? Was there an extra sheet they forgot to include on my ballot paper?
???

Ginny42 Wed 27-Mar-19 22:50:46

It was never about what kind of Brexit the public wanted, and who knew there could be so many? It was a casual in or out, make your mind up, just a jolly jape. Paying the price now though aren't we?

Urmstongran Wed 27-Mar-19 22:53:25

Alastair Campbell, Tony Blair’s former communications chief and a People’s Vote campaigner, has tweeted out a list of Labour MPs who did not back the Beckett amendment for a confirmatory referendum.

Absolutely pathetic performance from MPs tonight - especially Labour on Beckett as far as Remainers are concerned.

So how is taking back control working out today? Hilarious.

Urmstongran Wed 27-Mar-19 22:57:43

The idea was for Monday to revisit options that had achieved consensus.

And there aren't any.

POGS Wed 27-Mar-19 23:19:20

Monday will no doubt see more shenanigans and hypoic

crystaltipps Thu 28-Mar-19 06:02:31

Talking to someone ( not British) today she said-
“I don’t understand parliament- it’s all honourable members this and that, then they shout at each other, then they have votes they know will be ignored anyway, then they vote on the same thing over and over- can you explain it?”
Me - “no”

Grandma70s Thu 28-Mar-19 06:27:31

It is all Cameron’s fault. If he hadn’t been foolish enough to call a referendum in the first place, we would not be in this mess. The public was not nearly well-informed enough to vote on such an important issue.

An uninformed public, two totally incompetent party leaders - oh well, it makes for riveting television entertainment.

POGS Thu 28-Mar-19 08:27:20

I could have put my foot through the telly last night when I heard MP's saying in Parliament the decision should be decided upon and abided by looking at the Ammendment that ' FAILED ' with ' HIGHEST VOTE SHARE ' and that should be the ' DECIDER '.

This morning I wake up to hear that is still be promoting and there is no sign of the hypocrisy, the shenanigans that some MP's are using to get their way.

As per the EU Referendum it was the Remain MP's who thought that was a good idea because it favoured them.

Parliament is a disgrace.

MamaCaz Thu 28-Mar-19 08:40:38

Grandma70s

I agree with you there on every single word

For opportunistic reasons (personal and Party), Cameron decided to offer the public a sham referendum that he was, in his ignorance, absolutely sure would result in a 'remain' vote.

He was PM, but still couldn't have made this decision in isolation, so the whole of his Conservative Government are equally to blame.

But the thing that couldn't possibly happen did happen!.
The Tories realised that they couldn't backtrack without committing political suicide.

That's how we come to be in this huge mess, which has already cost, and will continue to cost, the UK a fortune for the forseeable future!

This whole bl***y mess is down to Cameron, the then Government and the existing Government which has continued to prioritise its own survival over economic stability.

jura2 Thu 28-Mar-19 08:44:24

Margaret Beckett was very dignified and spot on - respect:

www.facebook.com/adigitalrecruit/videos/10157234738043223/

jura2 Thu 28-Mar-19 08:46:07

that video is truly shocking - the opposition benches full - and the Government benches almost empty, with none or very few of the key players - a mockery

Urmstongran Thu 28-Mar-19 09:40:10

jura2 that is because the government ministers purposely abstained. They didn’t want the indicative votes to take place. They have already indicated they will not take them into account so there was no need to be present.

Jane10 Thu 28-Mar-19 10:16:43

It just gets worse and worse. I'm so ashamed of our MPs.

Nonnie Thu 28-Mar-19 10:19:00

jura & Urmston my MP, who campaigned to Remain but has now become TM's lapdog, was not in the House yesterday to hear the debate but did vote. I think that shows he had already decided and wasn't open minded enough to listen.

On the radio this morning M Beckett was quite sanguine about the vote yesterday, said it was always going to be the case that the most popular would be discussed and voted on again on Monday.

TM's latest tactic looks like it has failed too.

I watched most of it yesterday with DH checking that I hadn't thrown something at the TV.

mcem Thu 28-Mar-19 10:22:13

Far less horrific if FPTP were to be abandoned.
Then they'd be forced to compromise and reach consensus regularly.
Clearly the idea of co-operation is alien to them.
The proposal that came closest to achieving any kind of support was for the second referendum.

craftyone Thu 28-Mar-19 10:26:16

I will vote for my mp again, he was against 7 and for the no deal, as his constituents, including farmers, wanted

Parliament and turncoat, self-serving mps are an absolute farce. I don`t listen to or watch news any more

Urmstongran Thu 28-Mar-19 10:30:43

Hey get this.

Dennis Skinner voted for no deal last night.
Think about that.

1inamillion Thu 28-Mar-19 12:47:01

Did he really Urmston, wonder what his constituents voted for.
My constituency voted out by 55% yet we have a remain MP.

Parliament is currently a laughing stock.Mr Bercow is there to ensure fairness. .....I agree with previous comment, that he is out of his depth.

Fennel Thu 28-Mar-19 12:54:46

Thanks for posting the voting results Pogs.
The closest was staying in the customs union.
I think if TM would bend a little and add that to her deal Bercow would allow the vote and it would pass.
But the hardline brexiteers wouldn't like it.

varian Thu 28-Mar-19 13:00:44

Our right wing Tory MP, listed as a member of the ERG was threatened with deselection by the "bluekippers" in his local association. He has now caved in and supported no-deal in spite of having reassured his constituents that a no-deal brexit would never happen.

GabriellaG54 Thu 28-Mar-19 13:51:54

My MP is Foreign Secretary, Jeremy Hunt who may be in the running for PM. I hope so, as he is least likely to upset the apple cart and is a true Conservative.