Gransnet forums

News & politics

another transgender surprise.

(272 Posts)
Fennel Wed 10-Apr-19 09:47:40

From the Daily Mail - no apologies:
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6905503/Transgender-activist-wins-High-Court-battle-force-Mumsnet-reveal-identity-troll.html
This really seems to be going too far.

notanan2 Sat 13-Apr-19 02:43:34

notanan2 Yes, you are correct with the Mumsnet timeline.
The banned poster came on to a support thread for Caroline Farrow and posted in an unconstructive manner.
They also consistently broke the strict posting guidelines and were treated as any other transgressor. They accused Mumsnet of banning them due to transphobia.
Then as they say, the stuff hit the fan.

For context for those who havent followed any of the previous events:

www.thepostmillennial.com/british-womans-family-relentlessly-mobbed-by-activists-for-misgendering/

Caroline also alleges something awful about her children being signed up to some dark web child abuse site. Her husband being prank reported to crimestoppers, and her NHS records being acessed.

There was/is support for what she is alleging/experiencing on MN (including from people who dont necessarily agree with her religously or politically)

notanan2 Sat 13-Apr-19 01:58:49

So I've been following the MN thread. According to a twitter screenshot: the name of the poster released because of the court order: one of SHs aliases!

SHs response to this is..... um... bizarre!!

notanan2 Fri 12-Apr-19 23:52:31

Funnily enough, the mum & grandma forums that stick to topics like babies and laundry and knitting dont pique the interest of the kind of men who oppose women having womens discussion spaces...

... its only the ones where women venture into politics and finance and current affairs etc that are targetted in this way....

pinkquartz Fri 12-Apr-19 23:46:07

Grandad1943 As men have nothing to add to many discussions women want to have why don't you set up a grandparents group yourself? Then those who want to join an inclusive group can and those who want to be in a female group can do so here.
I thought the comparison with the Golf Club was a bit rich. Golf Clubs have been one of those men only spaces and needed to be changed because guess what we even have the vote now! Women are equal to men and wanted to be part of an outdoor activity.
GN is a cyberspace to share all kinds of info or ask questions with others who are similar.
Like comparing oranges to apples.....you can't do it.

notanan2 Fri 12-Apr-19 23:25:44

^this is exactly what has already happened at a lot of womens groups.

Men take over the space.. women just gather elsewhere. Not silenced.

notanan2 Fri 12-Apr-19 23:22:58

And when men do take over (as opposed to respectfully join) womens forums & groups, and lesbians groups and spaces. Guess what? We'll just leave you to it and gather elsewhere.

It'll be an empty victory. Kings of nothing.

notanan2 Fri 12-Apr-19 23:17:40

MN and GN do not exclude men from doing anything. What exactly does GN or MN prevent any man from doing? Where is the discrimination? There is none

It is nothing new that men dont like women getting together and giving themselves and each other a voice

Gonegirl Fri 12-Apr-19 23:16:30

You reading this CariGN. shock

notanan2 Fri 12-Apr-19 23:15:14

Not comparable

Grandad1943 Fri 12-Apr-19 23:09:30

notanan2 Quote [There are a GAZILLION forums which do not focus on womens perspectives. Men have no shortage of "equal" spaces to join. As well as plenty of male dominated forums where women feel silenced.] End Quote.

Sorry,notanan2 in that change was brought about by woman themselves in many instances.

By example, Muirfield golf club was male only exclusive until woman's pressure groups ensured it would not be allowed to have the British Open Chsmpionship held there until it became open to women members.

The above ensured that gender could no longer be an obstruction to membership or "belonging" to any organisation be that online or physical.

In that, GransNet and MumsNet stand out in their titles as what has become unacseptable.

Change has to come about, or as with Murryfield Golf Club, change will be forced upon it.

notanan2 Fri 12-Apr-19 23:04:33

More dramatic and cat-fighty to say that MN banned member who saught court order cause "transphobes" than to say "previously banned member" maybe???

The former makes a better headline

Gonegirl Fri 12-Apr-19 23:03:10

Right.

notanan2 Fri 12-Apr-19 23:02:31

I think the reporting of timelines in the DM might be a bit misleading to make it appear that SH was banned BECAUSE of the court order.. not ages before it

Gonegirl Fri 12-Apr-19 22:55:59

They seem to get "Best regards, and go well" on the end of the kicking out emails on MN. Very alternative. On GN it's just 'best wishes'.

Gonegirl Fri 12-Apr-19 22:51:38

Oh right.

notanan2 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:48:05

Oh I believe that they were banned back before any of this. Not as a result/reaction of it.

Gonegirl Fri 12-Apr-19 22:32:30

Oh right. I meant the Hayden person. The trans one. I saw the MN email on Fennels second link.

notanan2 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:18:17

So now MN have banned both of them have they? They really don't want to waste their "limited resources" do they? hmm grin

Have they?
It was my understanding that the username that the court order was about was no longer active and had only posted three times?

notanan2 Fri 12-Apr-19 22:12:59

Womens forums may welcome men (as MN and GN do!) But women seeking spaces to discuss womens issues need to be catered for.

I SAUGHT an older WOMEN forum to become more informed about the menopause. I dont particularly need or want male perspectives on that. I want to hear from WOMEN with experience of the issue. Womens health is male dominated enough! This is why I saught out and joined gransnet.

There are a GAZILLION forums which do not focus on womens perspectives. Men have no shortage of "equal" spaces to join. As well as plenty of male dominated forums where women feel silenced.

Men are no more discriminated against by GN than I am by black pride groups.

GN is fine as it is. There are many many many grandPARENT forums about. Why cant women have a womens perspective forum where men are welcome? What is wrong with that?

Gonegirl Fri 12-Apr-19 21:39:33

Cobblers. grin

Grandad1943 Fri 12-Apr-19 21:07:21

To broaden this thread topic somewhat, I believe that the titles of both forums should be changed from MumsNet to ParentsNet, and this forum from GransNet to GrandParentsNet.

The above would encourage far more male presence on both forums I feel which could only broaden the range and quality of subjects discussed with gender or even transgender far better catered for.

At present, the titles of the forums can be described as discriminatory in themselves, and the LGBT community have been for some time online speaking of gathering evidence for a legal challenge against the owners of the sites.

Change has to come, or it could well be forced on the forums I believe.

Gonegirl Fri 12-Apr-19 19:31:44

So now MN have banned both of them have they? They really don't want to waste their "limited resources" do they? hmm grin

pinkquartz Fri 12-Apr-19 19:04:58

Trisher Thank you for that. I can see that things in the law have changed since the worst times though I can remember other times since. I try to bury it but it has been harmful to me.

trisher Fri 12-Apr-19 18:22:59

pinkquartz abuse of people with disabilities is a hate crime. You are entitled to report it and to have actions taken
www.citizensadvice.org.uk/law-and-courts/discrimination/hate-crime/disability-hate-crime/
I hope this helps and I hope things improve.

notanan2 Fri 12-Apr-19 18:05:49

Fennel there are those who argue that deadnaming is ALWAYS a transphobic hate crime and will indescriminately target and label anyone who deadnames