Gransnet forums

News & politics

another transgender surprise.

(271 Posts)
Fennel Wed 10-Apr-19 09:47:40

From the Daily Mail - no apologies:
www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6905503/Transgender-activist-wins-High-Court-battle-force-Mumsnet-reveal-identity-troll.html
This really seems to be going too far.

EllanVannin Wed 10-Apr-19 09:49:39

Of course it's going/gone too far-----PC gone completely mad !

jenpax Wed 10-Apr-19 09:58:49

The issue the court was looking at was around online abuse and harassment, it seems reasonable to me that people are not permitted to abuse or harass others anonymously regardless of their opinions,and so I think it is only right that the court has ordered the online identity to be revealed, it will then be for a court to examine any evidence to ascertain if an offence has been committed.

starbox Wed 10-Apr-19 10:03:08

Message deleted by Gransnet for breaking our forum guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

glammanana Wed 10-Apr-19 10:37:03

Its a good job I can't get taken to court for what I think of the way this person is earning money.

Callistemon Wed 10-Apr-19 11:38:27

This is an interesting case - we believe our data and personal details to be protected under the various Acts, recently updated under EU law, but this can all be overridden, usually if a safeguarding issue is a problem or an offence suspected.

The GN Privacy Policy states:
If contacted by the police about possible breaches of the law disclosed in posts, we may sometimes - on the judgement of a senior person within Gransnet and in consultation with the Data Protection Officer - share your personal information with them. We will share your personal information if compelled to do so by a court order, for example under Section 5 of the 2013 Defamation Act.
Complying with the law and best practice around data
The way that we store and process data is compliant with the following legislation:

UK Data Protection Act 1988 (DPA)
EU Data Protection Directive 1995 (DPD)
EU General Data Protection Regulation 2018 (GDPR)
ePrivacy Directive 2002 (amended 2009)

maryeliza54 Wed 10-Apr-19 11:44:54

Call that’s very useful and a good reminder. We should concentrate on the principle here not this particular case which probably isn’t the most sympathetic. Does anyone really think you should be able to come on GN/MN and say anything you want about a named individual?

Fennel Wed 10-Apr-19 11:47:30

Well expressed, Callistemon.
I had vague thoughts along the lines of your first paragraph, but don't have the knowledge to support them.
It emphasises the feeling I've had for some time that we have to be so careful about what we post. I was even wondering if it was safe to start this thread, including my own opinion.

Fennel Wed 10-Apr-19 12:44:04

Reading the report again it seems that the person accused might be carrying out a regular campaign about this issue.
I still think freedom of speech is also important.
And what constitutes slander and harrassment in the area of transgender?

Callistemon Wed 10-Apr-19 12:49:54

Fennel I think starting this thread was a good idea and a salutary reminder to us all.

I wondered if GNHQ may have commented by now but perhaps they are all too busy at the moment hmm.

If MNHQ thought that that particular post was libellous then why did they not delete it immediately?

notanan2 Wed 10-Apr-19 13:30:26

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

notanan2 Wed 10-Apr-19 13:43:09

notanan2 Wed 10-Apr-19 13:48:00

gillybob Wed 10-Apr-19 13:48:08

I am left wondering what this person intends to do with the personal details once they receive them?

notanan2 Wed 10-Apr-19 13:53:05

Gonegirl Wed 10-Apr-19 13:58:14

She had no right to call a transgendered person by the sex that person was previously. You can state your views on the subject in general terms, but it's wrong to harass someone who has chosen this path in life.

notanan2 Wed 10-Apr-19 13:58:26

Gonegirl Wed 10-Apr-19 13:58:59

I would imagine she would sue gillybob.Quite rightly IMO.

notanan2 Wed 10-Apr-19 14:01:03

Gonegirl Wed 10-Apr-19 14:04:30

I suppose unless you have followed the threads on Mumsnet, you can't know all the ins and outs of it. But the simple facts I stated I still believe in. And maybe that's what the case actually boils down to when you strip away all the hoo-ha.

notanan2 Wed 10-Apr-19 14:07:28

notanan2 Wed 10-Apr-19 14:08:50

notanan2 Wed 10-Apr-19 14:11:05

notanan2 Wed 10-Apr-19 14:12:51

Gonegirl Wed 10-Apr-19 14:13:11

To answer your questions notanan2 I would have to repeat what I have already said. I'm not going to do that.

I believe the law is far from being an ass.