Gransnet forums

News & politics

What do we think of Nigel Farage’s Brexit Party?

(1001 Posts)
Kandinsky Sat 13-Apr-19 09:17:01

Whatever side of the debate you’re on he is very watchable.

I wonder how they’ll do in the elections ( if we have them )

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-May-19 18:43:32

Farage voting record.

t.co/Rno3CBZhKE

Day6 Sun 12-May-19 18:45:06

Interesting how Remainers have set up a kangeroo court regarding the Farage traffic accident.

He was not driving his car. It would seem from doing research the landlord of the local pub has spread the story for a bit of publicity. " I have banned him from my pub".

The police came to the scene. The driver of Farage's car stayed and statements were taken. No one seems to be aware of who, if anyone caused the accident but Farage was not driving.

The police are making no further investigations. Nothing to see here folks, as they say, but Remainers (and the pub landlord) will make the most of it.

Rarely are passengers in a car spoken to about accidents. Farage was, apparently on his way to an interview. He would have been shaken up, as are most people involved in accidents. He may have enquired about the passengers in the other car too - who knows?

It sells more papers to say he 'walked off' but if you read the story it sounds very much as if someone was milking their five minutes of fame regarding a prang, and getting some good publicity for their business at the same time.

It is a one-sided report. The accident was dealt with quickly. The police are not involved.

But don't let that stop Remainers making it a big deal to smear Farage. No surprises there. grin

Grandad1943 Sun 12-May-19 18:47:32

Firecracker123, the one man dictatorship known as the Brexit party has not got anyone "running scared" at this point time. We have one bye-election and the European Parliament elections coming up and that will change nothing as the Westminster Parliament is the only body that has any power regarding Britain leaving the European Union. In that, the structure Westminster Parliament and the government could possibly remain unchanged until 2022, though that is unlikely it would seem due to the problems in the Conservative party.

However, should a General Election come about in the near future, Farage would need to come up with far better answers regarding his broader policies than he did on the Andrew Marr program this morning.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-May-19 18:54:08

Farage wasn’t being smeared. The report is factual. Farage chauffeur crashed the car in which Farage was sat. Farage car crashed into another car carrying a baby, who screamed in terror.

Farage left the scene without seeing if the baby was ok.

It takes a certain type of character to behave like that.

Kandinsky Sun 12-May-19 18:56:50

Remainers are petrified of Nigel Farage.
Why?
Because he’s popular.
They hate him for that.

Bridgeit Sun 12-May-19 18:58:51

Thanks Granddad1943, for a good post
I get why some folks want to Brexit, but I don’t get that they believe in NF .

Grandad1943 Sun 12-May-19 19:00:53

Day6, it makes no difference whether Farage was diving the car or not. He was in one of the vehicles that was involved in this accident and following the collision he immediately got out and walked away. Any DECENT person would have asked if everyone was uninjured and given help where necessary.

However, not Farage, he just gets out and walks leaving a thirteen-month-old child screaming in the car. What an indefensible despicable act, but not to be unexpected from a person who thinks of nothing but himself.

Day6, again indefensible.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-May-19 19:01:00

Not popularity that’s nothing to be frightened of. It is the knowledge of his political ideology and what might happen to the U.K., and actually in my case not even to do with Brexit. If Farage came to government Brexit would be the least of our problems.

Day6 Sun 12-May-19 19:08:33

How do you know this to be true Whitewave? Were you there?

Many years ago, a car crashed into the back of mine. I had my youngest, 11 months old, in the baby seat at the back of the car.

It was very frightening. The other driver who had gone into me at speed, at traffic lights, got out and was most apologetic. I was shaking. It was the other driver who had to say to me after a minute or so of his apologies..."Check the baby". True story. That was my own dear son but I wasn't with it at all.

I am not making excuses for Farage but we don't really know what happened , do we? The reports in the paper are from one source, therefore biased and one sided.

Was the landlord the injured party or was he at fault for the accident? Did he accept it was his fault? Who knows, but the police are not involved and we do know Farage was not driving the car.

If Farage had to be at the BBC in half an hour (say) it could well have been that an aide or researcher organised him and left the driver to sort out the collision. Who knows?

Remainer kangeroo court in action. Farage just HAS to be guilty, doesn't he? hmm

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-May-19 19:16:58

Father and baby taken to hospital, with father suffering neck and shoulder injuries.

Police were forced to launch a manhunt for Farage, as he didn’t stay for the police.

Who on earth could walk away from a baby in distress? Bit like a hit and run.

Grandad1943 Sun 12-May-19 19:24:33

Day6, I say again, it makes no difference whether Farage was diving the car or not. He immediately walked away from the scene of the accident without even enquiring as to the well-being of all others involved in the accident.

There are also two sources as to what took place in the immediate aftermath of the incident, as the Farage chauffeur has also stated I believe that he was " dumbfounded" at the Nigel Farage action following the crash.

Grandad1943 Sun 12-May-19 19:37:35

Day6, just to add to my above post, even Farage himself has not denied he immediately walked away from the scene of the accident as he has stated "he did not hear the thirteen-month-old child screaming in the other car.

Totally despicable and indefensible. Much stronger language could be used, but I will not sink to that.

CyclingKnitter Sun 12-May-19 20:24:10

The issue with Farage is not to do with leave or remain, or at least only secondarily. It’s a question of whether you want to vote for a fascist or not. Do you support a liar, who wants to privatise the NHS, doesn’t believe in climate change, runs away from car accidents involving toddlers, refuses to say who is funding him and is pretending, against all evidence, to be a “man of the people”. Do you want the politics of division and hatred and to lose your house because a family member has cancer or a heart problem and the NHS has gone; do you want to see a continuing increase in the violence towards anyone who doesn’t fit his entirely ahistorical and racist view of who is British? This is what you’re supporting if you support Farage. You’re voting for fascism, and hatred. That’s what you’re leaving your grandchildren.

CyclingKnitter Sun 12-May-19 20:30:13

Day6, your “were you there” question is interesting. Does this mean you only believe in accounts of events given by people who have first hand direct experience of an event? Gosh, life must be hard!

Whitewavemark2 Sun 12-May-19 20:33:46

☹️ it is so worrying. I fear for my two grandsons. They’ve grown up knowing nothing but tolerance and security. It could all fall apart if Farage gets into power.

Lily65 Sun 12-May-19 20:46:37

Its not so much the idea of NF getting into a position of power as an MP that is the problem, it's more what he stirs up I think?

He has become a mouthpiece for something very troubling.

Perhaps if a measured and respected individual who believed we would be better out of Europe had come to the fore things would have been so different. As it is, we have him.

Jabberwok Sun 12-May-19 20:56:50

I'm voting for someone who would, I believe deliver Brexit and save this country from becoming a vassal state in a federal Europe. Someone who would honour the referendum as promised by the two main party's, which was obviously a false promise even though MP's SIGNED for article 50, even fighting a GE on DELIVERING Brexit, falsely conning us into believing their treacherous lies! How on earth could anyone vote for these lying charlatans?!

GracesGranMK3 Sun 12-May-19 21:11:40

The views of Farage are really nothing to do with remain or leave. The man is a joke but a very dangerous joke. However, some of you seem to be really glad you can "get one over" half (or as the polls are showing, two thirds) of your fellow citizens by voting for a fascist who does not have your or anyone else's interest at heart. There is nothing democratic about allowing a small majority of three years ago to destroy our country and possibly/probably our union.

CyclingKnitter Sun 12-May-19 21:23:53

Jabberwok, which of the following ways do you want to leave, and why do you prefer that particular option? And is that the option you voted for when you voted leave or have you since changed your mind and prefer a different option now? If so, why?

May’s plan: Withdrawal agreement // Irish backstop
Includes a 21-month transition period where the UK abides by EU rules and pays into its budget. If a broader deal can’t be struck during this phase, a backstop kicks in. In this scenario Britain’s place within Europe would be akin to “Turkey-minus” (FT). The UK would be part of a bare-bones customs union that ensured goods moved relatively freely between Britain and the EU. Scope for trade deals with other nations would be limited, however free movement of people would end

Or, the softest option:
EEA option // Norway
The UK would be integrated into the single market for most goods and services. Britain would be able to strike free-trade deals with other countries, but it would have to accept the EU’s four freedoms, which includes the free movement of people. EU payments would continue and this deal alone would not solve the Irish border problem

Or, a soft option:

EFTA option // Switzerland
A bilateral deal with the EU would give the UK privileged access to the single market for goods but not services. The UK would again have to accept the EU’s free movement of people and contribute to the EU budget for specific schemes. But it’s thought that the EU isn’t keen on replicating the complex Swiss arrangement

Or, a hardish option:
Customs union option // Turkey
The UK would be able to export non-agricultural goods (but not services) to the EU tariff free and wouldn’t have to accept the free movement of people. The catch? Britain’s ability to strike trade deals with other countries would be curbed significantly. But this option would go some way to averting a hard border between Northern Ireland and its southern neighbour

Or, a hard option:
Free-trade deal // Canada
Such an agreement would preserve tariff-free access for most goods and the UK wouldn’t have to accept the free movement of people, but trade wouldn’t be frictionless, with companies having to comply with custom controls and rules-of-origin checks — and services wouldn’t necessarily be included in this deal. This option is favoured by the EU.

Or, a cliff edge:

World Trade Organization option
If no deal was struck, the UK would trade with the EU under WTO rules. Britain wouldn’t have to accept the free movement of people or contribute to the EU’s coffers. But a “cliff edge” would come with many headaches — for example, there would be a hard border in Ireland and the UK would have to accept EU tariffs on goods exported to the single market

Firecracker123 Sun 12-May-19 21:29:19

Good grief it's reaching hysteria level now and we are only talking about the EU elections.

Urmstongran Sun 12-May-19 21:30:18

I agree Jabberwok well said.

Perhaps those on both sides of the political debate should ask themselves why we now have a Brexit Party at all?

Both major parties were elected on manifestos which stated unequivocally that the UK would Leave, and yet the majority of MPs have ignored both the electorate and their manifestos.

So when someone comes along with a simple message - to keep faith with the referendum vote (and I am aware that the majority of the posters on this site disagree vehemently with the result), then why should anyone be surprised that support is forthcoming?

CyclingKnitter Sun 12-May-19 22:00:27

The trouble is, Urmstongran, is that it’s not a simple message. Farage said, at the time of the referendum, that we could negotiate a simple free trade agreement with Europe. Now, he says that those who voted leave all voted for no deal - just crash out.

So, if that happens, we’ll need to consider trade agreements with others. The US, for example. That would mean we’d need to accept US standards- for example, those in place to protect against diseases, which are much lower than EU standards. So we would be subjecting ourselves and our grandchildren to increased risks of illness, because the UK wouldn’t have any bargaining power, being such a small market. For example, www.sustainweb.org/news/feb18_US_foodpoisoning/ reports:

The US reports higher rates of illness from foodborne illness than in the UK. Annually, 14.7% (48m) of the US population suffer from an illness, versus 1.5% (1m) in the UK. This is nearly ten times the percentage of population. [see note 3 below]
The US reports higher rates of deaths from foodborne illness than in the UK. The annual death rate in the US is 3,000 per annum, versus 500 in the UK. [The US population is about 5 times the size of the UK.]
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report around 380 deaths in the US each year attributed to foodborne salmonella poisoning. The most recent epidemiological lab data from Public Health England, 2006 to 2015 shows no deaths in England and Wales from salmonella. Salmonella food poisoning is most commonly caused by consumption of contaminated food of animal origin, such as beef, chicken, milk, fish or eggs.
The Food Standards Agency recently updated its guidance to say that eating soft-boiled British Lion Mark eggs is now safe, thanks to a dramatic reduction in the presence of salmonella. By contrast, the US Food and Drug Administration still advises US consumers to hard boil their eggs due to salmonella fears. They report 79,000 cases of illness and 30 deaths a year from salmonella infected eggs.
The US reports an estimated 1,591 cases of food poisoning from Listeria Monocytogenes, the bacteria that causes listeriosis food poisoning. In England and Wales there were 135 reported cases in 2017. Listeriosis is usually caught from eating food such as cooked sliced meats, cured meats, smoked fish, cooked shellfish, blue veined and mould-ripened soft cheeses, pâté, and pre-prepared sandwiches and salads.

CyclingKnitter Sun 12-May-19 22:04:38

And you might want to read this too, about how we would be giving up control if we leave, far from taking it: theconversation.com/brexit-britains-weakness-exposed-in-us-trade-deal-documents-113077

Firecracker123 Sun 12-May-19 22:17:03

Cycling knitter just scare mongering. My advice would be buy British and use your common sense.

MaizieD Sun 12-May-19 22:22:13

Just shut your eyes and put your fingers in your ears, Firecracker; ignore reality.

Buying British is not going to make up for lost revenue from bad trade deals.

Nor is it going to make up for the massive loss of sovereignty we will experience as we, as the weaker partner in deals, will have to accept terms that work to our disadvantage.

This discussion thread has reached a 1000 message limit, and so cannot accept new messages.
Start a new discussion