Gransnet forums

News & politics

Notre Dame

(100 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 15-Apr-19 18:41:55

The cathedral is on fire, believed to be an accident

Such a beautiful building

Greyduster Tue 16-Apr-19 08:36:00

They seem to think that the Rose windows have survived, but they won’t know if they have lost the organs until the building is safe to enter. The organist sounded so devastated this morning, I had tears in my eyes. He was playing at a mass when the fire broke out.

Anniebach Tue 16-Apr-19 08:48:00

A business man is on ‘ToDay’ now, he is donating one hundred million euro’s towards the renovations.

goldengirl Tue 16-Apr-19 09:14:05

Windsor Castle had a fire during renovation; I think that the Art College in Glasgow was undergoing renovation and now this! The oft quoted 'lessons have been learned' is not applicable in these cases. It's taken renovations to undo what centuries before and the World Wars did not!!! There's something wrong here

Beckett Tue 16-Apr-19 09:27:39

I have to admit that when I first heard the news I immediately thought of terrorism - it is such an important Christian symbol. Later when more news was available I was relieved it is now being thought that it was accidental.

Of course old buildings have to be repaired and renovated but I wonder whether workmen should use the "old" tools rather than modern ones as so many buildings under renovation appear to suffer accidental fires

It is being reported that some wealthy French businessmen are donating the equivalent of several million pounds towards the repairs. Let us hope we soon see it rise from the ashes

Anniebach Tue 16-Apr-19 10:04:35

I was in tears last night but turning on the tv news this morning there was a still shot of the interior, a large gold cross, what a symbol and in Holy Week.

GabriellaG54 Tue 16-Apr-19 10:04:50

Yes indeed, Actress Selma Hayek's husband is pledging £86m+ .
The picture of sunlight on the cross accompanying Robert Hardman's piece in the Mail should give believers hope.
As an atheist, I too found it a beautiful sight amongst the ruins.

Callistemon Tue 16-Apr-19 10:30:36

The spire that we saw collapsing was not that old (mid 1800s I think) so let's hope that it is rebuilt beautifully but with the expertise that means this cannot happen again.

I wonder if these buildings that were being renovated/restored either did not have sprinkler systems or that the systems were switched off during renovation?

jura2 Tue 16-Apr-19 10:36:13

It was awful to watch. I've seen picture today of the 'forest' eg the massive and intricate roof structure made out of French oaks- just amazing.

However, I have to say Notre Dame has never 'moved me'- too Gothic for me and dark - in the way the Norman/Romanesque CAthedrals of England have. Durham made me cry with emotion- and I felt so moved by Lincoln, York, Peterborough, Wells, and many more.

glammanana Tue 16-Apr-19 10:40:59

Such an awful thing to happen to such a beautiful building
housing so much history.
My heart goes out to the French people at such a loss even when rebuilt the feeling of the history can never ever be replaced.
My DS & DIL have visited every year since they got engaged in Paris they will be devastated also.

Grampie Tue 16-Apr-19 10:47:34

A wonderful opportunity for lot more time-served craftsmen and craftswomen.

...with excellent French language skills.

Frannytoo Tue 16-Apr-19 10:57:58

J'etais horifiee - I had a news flash as it began and cannot understand how it took hold so quickly. I suppose high up there is always a wind.

evianers Tue 16-Apr-19 11:08:05

You can perhaps all imagine how everyone feels here in France. Very long, sad faces with speculations how it could have started. No doubt it will be revealed in due course, but a tragedy for Paris, and equally a tragedy for France

Nannyxthree Tue 16-Apr-19 11:37:40

Not just for France, EVIANERS, but for the world. Whether anyone likes Gothic architecture or not, it was an important building and much loved by many. It is especially tragic when you consider that it survived wars, revolutions and riots, and yet a simple accident brought it down. I hope modern craftsmen have the skills to put it back together.
We had thought of taking the DGC to Paris soon, but I don't want to see the ruin anymore than I want to see Ground zero.

pamdixon Tue 16-Apr-19 11:42:52

devastating in all senses of the word

Deni1963 Tue 16-Apr-19 11:52:49

I was there on Friday to kiss the crown of thorns at a service. Heart broken ?

luluaugust Tue 16-Apr-19 12:09:00

Devastating loss of art and history so sad, old visited once but never forgotten

Funkygran21 Tue 16-Apr-19 12:18:05

So often these things happen while there is work going on in the building.
The French must be feeling as we would if it were Westminster Abbey.
Quelle tristesse.

NannyC2 Tue 16-Apr-19 12:30:20

800 years of history .....it can rise again.
Meanwhile, artworks and artefacts have largely been protected and safeguarded - and will be transferred to the Louvre Museum

Greyduster Tue 16-Apr-19 12:34:01

I have every confidence that there are the necessary skills, both here and in France, to carry out restoration work. The restoration work carried out at Windsor, and at York Minster after the fire there, are superb and no doubt those restorers and craftsmen will be offering their services as we speak for when work gets underway. We are lucky to have such people in an age where technology dominates everything.

Greyduster Tue 16-Apr-19 12:39:40

My DD and grandson took part in a fun run in Paris on Saturday and he told me they ran past Notre Dame, which he had visited on a school trip last year. He was so upset to see this yesterday, shortly after they arrived home, but I’m glad he had the chance to see it in its glory.

allsortsofbags Tue 16-Apr-19 12:46:52

So Sad :-(

Lindylou23 Tue 16-Apr-19 12:48:30

I am wondering if sprinklers were not working !!!

pinkquartz Tue 16-Apr-19 12:51:30

I am totally in awe of the men who built this building. It took a hundred years.
I can't imagine anyone today having the foresight to create a build that will take four generations to build.
And the crafts exhibited in the making are beautiful.
I am not sure that there are people today who can do these things the old way?

It is strange that it burns while being renovated? I wonder what will be found out about this?

BonnieBlooming Tue 16-Apr-19 13:03:04

Our church burned down after renovations. Everyone was devastated, not least me because I was due to get married there in a few months. Whether it's a great cathedral or a parish church it's so sad for people who love the building.

Shazmo24 Tue 16-Apr-19 13:18:37

I'm really surprised by the reaction by some people with the fire at Notre Dame...it's as if it's a personal friend....yes it was/is a beautiful building but it's just a building.. it will be rebuilt and will hopefully have a sprinkler system installed