Gransnet forums

News & politics

Notre Dame

(100 Posts)
Anniebach Mon 15-Apr-19 18:41:55

The cathedral is on fire, believed to be an accident

Such a beautiful building

Whitewavemark2 Tue 16-Apr-19 13:19:21

What a lovely expression I’ve just heard.

A stone mason talking about the fire.

The interviewer stated that “surely it will affect the walls if there is no roof?”

The stone mason replied “ *yes the building will sigh*”

Meaning that as a result of damage the structure will move

Patticake123 Tue 16-Apr-19 13:20:01

It is very sad but fortunately all is not lost and no one has lost their life. I am astonished by the donations that are pouring in for the restoration project. I wonder why there wasn’t a similar outpouring of support for the people affected by the tragic Grenfell fire where lives were lost and families made homeless?

B9exchange Tue 16-Apr-19 13:31:35

Utterly heartbreaking to see that beautiful building destroyed, stained glass melted away centuries old woodwork and ceilings gone in the space of a few hours. I am so glad Macron has said it will be restored. We can build beautiful buildings still, look at the Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, but it is the history that is lost. And for Parisians for whom this was their church where they were planning to celebrate Easter, a bereavement.

alchemilla Tue 16-Apr-19 13:40:26

Patticake it's a symbol of France as St Paul's is for us. And a symbol of history.
There was an outpouring of help for Grenfell in many millions.
I have more sympathy for those who are arguing the mega millions for Notre Dame could be better used fighting global warming and disease, but billlionaires do what they want.

craftyone Tue 16-Apr-19 13:47:33

I am ex catholic and remember learning about plenary indulgences. I am glad there is money from these very rich people but those were the words that popped into my mind. Plenary indulgences were officially not sold since 1567 but there was an undercurrent of being able to buy indulgences, certainly still when I was young

Missiseff Tue 16-Apr-19 14:32:01

Very sad yes, but meanwhile, in tents in Calais...

Dinahmo Tue 16-Apr-19 14:33:32

Patticake - The Grenfell fire was a real tragedy and the government and local authorities should have been doing something about it. Money was given but it has been very slow to disseminate it. But, we are on this earth for a short time. Buildings like Notre Dame which have existed for hundreds of years are a testament to the thousands of people who have worked on them, whether artists, craftsmen or labourers. Churchill understood the importance of such buildings during WW2 when he sent word that St Paul's should be protected at all costs because he believed it would be devastating for morale if it was destroyed. This was at the height of the blitz.

The renovation of Notre Dame, however it is carried out, will provide good quality work for skilled craftsmen and also an opportunity for young people to learn a craft.

Craftyone - I can't believe that people still believe in plenary indulgences. You can have little or no idea of what other charitable causes these donors support. Some chose to help the poor (Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation) and others chose to support the arts. Some chose to do both - such as the Tate family who, in addition to the Gallery, funded the building of libraries.

Flowerofthewest Tue 16-Apr-19 14:34:58

It is a devastating thing. I'm very sad for the people who hold it dear.
I just wish that as much passion was shown regarding the state of the planet as whole

Graso Tue 16-Apr-19 15:05:33

Well said Dinahmo.
Meanwhile I’m sorry to see that some people see this thread as an opportunity to air their own particular political grievance - of course Grenfell, ecology, migrants in tents etc etc are all relevant issues, just not to this particular topic.
I for one am very sad to see Notre Dame so damaged. It has no bearing on how I feel about anything else!

georgia101 Tue 16-Apr-19 15:50:45

I only saw it once and I thought it was beautiful. It made a lasting impression on me, and churches don't usually do that. I'm very sad, but am optimistic that it will eventually be restored. Huge donations are already pouring in.

Muppies03 Tue 16-Apr-19 17:32:20

So very sad, and all the treasures inside, its heartbreaking.

Muppies03 Tue 16-Apr-19 17:32:21

Muppies03 Tue 16-Apr-19 17:35:04

So very sad, and all the treasures inside, it`s heartbreaking.

Sheilasue Tue 16-Apr-19 18:21:40

Beautiful cathedral inside and out.
Reminds me when Windsor castle had a fire.

Grandmama Tue 16-Apr-19 18:59:08

I surprised myself by how moved I was by the fire, I even logged on at 7.30am to see the latest news, usually I don't log on until tea-time. My first trip abroad was a week in Paris with my school when I was mid-teens. I fell absolutely in love with the city, have been back several times but sadly not since my visit with DH some 40 years ago. I long to return. One would never know that York Minster was badly damaged 35 years ago. Notre Dame will rise again but I could cry with the people of Paris, my love goes out to them flowers

Ashcombe Tue 16-Apr-19 20:25:20

Poor France!

A friend from my local theatre company (Toads) wrote this:-

The Ghost of Quasimodo

On our knees with grief and disbelief,
the masses throng the barricades once more.
People paralysed in an unplanned demonstration
of unity through adversity.
Here the Communards and First Republic’s dreams were voiced.
Napoleon and Hitler stood in awe.
Esmeralda clung to gargoyles.
Demands for freedom shouted in the square.
Now we can only stare, heavy of heart and humbled.
Our petty parliamentary wrangles seen for what they are.
This is not ‘Their Lady’; it is Our Lady,
martyred by fire; put to the torch.
Ask not for whom the bell tolls; that dismal knell
is a last-ditch wake-up call for Europe.

Through the smoke of the bell tower,
Quasimodo dances in the flames.

John Miles.

‘Notre Dame de Paris’
15th April, 2019.

Hm999 Tue 16-Apr-19 21:38:57

Some of the beams that burned were almost a thousand years old - that's a heck of a link to the past, to history, and of course the cathedral has withstood wars and invasion.

Blondiescot Wed 17-Apr-19 11:13:11

It is an iconic building and yes, of course it should be restored, but I can't help but think the Catholic Church - one of the richest institutions on this planet - should be footing the bill themselves.

craftyone Wed 17-Apr-19 12:22:57

france owns the cathedral, the catholic church just uses it

Callistemon Wed 17-Apr-19 12:37:44

Do they pay rent craftyone?

jura2 Thu 18-Apr-19 17:18:09

agreed that the Vatican should pay a substantial part.

The whole thing is creating such a stir on social media- as it seems obscene that billions can be found in a couple of days- when Grenfell residents still leave in unsuitable digs- and children are dying of hunger all over the world- in wars we have created and are profiting from massively.

And I say that having been really upset at watching the fire at ND. It's a crazy world we live in, for sure.