Gransnet forums

News & politics

Lyra Mckee

(83 Posts)
GrannyGravy13 Fri 19-Apr-19 12:03:22

Saddened to hear of the senseless shooting of 29 year old journalist Lyra McKee.

The troubles in Ireland do not seem to have gone away?

jura2 Tue 30-Apr-19 08:53:37

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/brexit-helps-us-recruit-more-supporters-says-new-ira-38057597.html?fbclid=IwAR1BciJ-kVhHX6QprMnU5HkfOIyPxvzs1QeUsqGWHT4cMenZ6t014HBJ8kc

annep1 Mon 29-Apr-19 22:01:16

Violence is not the way.

jura2 Mon 29-Apr-19 20:03:04

If you read the papers this week-end- you will have seen that the New IRA clearly state that Brexit and the discussions re border ad GFA have helped them recruit and resulted in the events which led to her accidental death. Their words.

EllanVannin Sun 28-Apr-19 20:20:40

The " new " IRA they now call themselves.

varian Sun 28-Apr-19 19:14:34

Here here annapl

annep1 Thu 25-Apr-19 22:05:29

Thank you Anniebach. I do, as do many of ny friends. I woke up at 4am and couldn't stop thinking about it all.
I pray that Alliance party will fare better in our forthcoming elections.

Anniebach Thu 25-Apr-19 21:20:14

anneepl no way could you overdo it, I just read your link,
You must despair

annep1 Thu 25-Apr-19 21:11:18

Why indeed.

And also this...(last post. I don't want to overdo it but this is interesting too.)

www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/uk-northern-ireland-48053974

One despairs.

varian Thu 25-Apr-19 19:43:50

It does work annep and anyone who reads it must ask why are these NI politicians not able to get together in Stormont?.

aggie Thu 25-Apr-19 19:43:04

I agree with what you say annep1 , maybe I still can't understand all the nuances of allegiances because I wasn't born here , violence is never the answer

annep1 Thu 25-Apr-19 19:11:20

Not sure if the link will work. Perhaps cut and paste in search bar.
Anyway, what they said afterwards.

www.google.com/amp/s/amp.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/politics/arlene-foster-restore-assembly-now-and-hold-talks-38047803.html

annep1 Thu 25-Apr-19 19:04:10

I try Caillistemon. It's not easy. But you do have to have lived here through it all to have an understanding. It is a complex problem. But no matter how complex, violence is wrong.

Callistemon Thu 25-Apr-19 17:14:34

annep1 and Countrylife thank you for bringing a NI perspective to the thread.

varian Thu 25-Apr-19 17:01:50

Stephen Farry, Deputy Leader of the non-sectarian Alliance Party, writes-

"BREXIT entails new divisions and barriers. Yet, as a divided society and a contested space, Northern Ireland can only really succeed based on sharing and interdependence.

There is an overwhelming case for a unique solution or special deal for this region. This needs to have cross-community support and be presented as a pragmatic response.

However, Brexit is increasingly viewed through the lens of identity politics, with unionists insisting on a one-size-fits-all Brexit for the UK as a whole, and some nationalists portraying any special deal or status as a stepping stone to a united Ireland.

We really need to focus on building a cross-community approach in Northern Ireland. Therefore, while I fully respect the right of various parties and people to argue for constitutional change, if we end up conflating the achievement of special deal for Northern Ireland with the pursuit of a united Ireland, it will be fatal to creating a cross-community consensus.

Much of the public debate has been around avoiding a hard border, either across the island of Ireland or down the Irish Sea. The only sure way to avoid either of these outcomes is for the UK as a whole to have a Customs Union with the European Union."

www.irishnews.com/news/2017/10/10/news/brexit-platform---stephen-farry-1157701/

maryeliza54 Thu 25-Apr-19 16:52:33

When people living on the mainland can’t even get the name of the Northern Ireland Assembly right there’s no wonder the Irish think we couldn’t care less about what happens over there. I’ve even seen ‘Southern Ireland ‘ on this thread

Anniebach Thu 25-Apr-19 16:46:33

Agree Parsley and as the Irish parliment hasn’t sat for two years it is bound to cause even more problems

Parsley3 Thu 25-Apr-19 16:36:42

Well said, Countrylife. I prefer to listen to the views of people who live in the country under discussion.
In radio interviews, the priest who gave the Last Rites to Lyra, an Irish politician and an Irish journalist all said, independently of each other, that Brexit was not the cause of the present violence. The new IRA have been grooming young people to follow a violent path long before the referendum.
However, they will certainly be taking advantage of the political shambles in both the Irish and UK parliaments.

jura2 Thu 25-Apr-19 16:28:52

You are repeating yourself Annieb "The new ! IRA was formed in 2012, how can brexit be used as a reason for this tragedy" - and many have responded.

Anniebach Thu 25-Apr-19 16:09:19

The new! IRA was formed in 2012 , the referendum in 2016,
how could anyone say brexit is the cause

varian Thu 25-Apr-19 15:30:06

Former government advisor Jonathan Powell has said Brexit is contributing to sectarian violence in Northern Ireland, although he was careful to stress it was not the cause.

Jonathan Powell worked as Downing Street Chief of Staff under then prime minister Tony Blair from 1997 to 2007 and played a key role in the peace talks that led to the Good Friday Agreement.

He told the BBC's Today programme that Brexit was one of a number of factors leading to increased violence in Northern Ireland.

www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/brexit-contributing-to-sectarian-violence-warns-key-player-in-northern-ireland-peace-talks-38045241.html

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 12:34:40

Sorry dent.

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 12:34:23

Maybe this terrible killing will deny their support though?

notentirelyallhere Wed 24-Apr-19 12:25:42

Absolutely trisher. The lack of a border has led to a softening and improving of relationships between north and south so that the issue of a united Ireland was less available to the extremists.

British people just don't realise how centuries of interference in the island of Ireland has created problems that resonate still. The creation of Northern Ireland out of six counties was a British fudge built on the 1801 Act of Union when Ireland became part of the UK partly because the British were terrified that the French would invade Ireland in the wake of the French Revolution and revolt in Ireland itself caused by British policies. It's a tangle that the Good Friday Agreement delicately tried to unravel and until the 2016 referendum, things were massively improved. The future does not look healthy as others have said.

trisher Wed 24-Apr-19 11:51:09

Does someone have to explain it in words of one syllable? The extremists in N. Ireland have been prevented from recruiting by a number of things. The lack of a border between North and South being one of them. Brexit threatens to see the border returned, so the extremists are recruiting because of that. It isn't the only reason. The failure of power sharing, the return of N.Ireland to Uk administration and the rising power of the DUP have all contributed. The point is that there have always been extremists but they haven't been able to recruit until now.

jura2 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:50:14

I am sorry, this is not about 'personal gripe' FGS - refusing to see the connection is cruel. The talks about the border, re-unification, the GFA, etc- have triggered a new wave of fanaticisim- even if the New IRA was formed before the Ref.