Gransnet forums

News & politics

Poor Jeremy Hunt

(35 Posts)
trisher Sun 21-Apr-19 20:18:17

his accountant has let him down by forgetting to register his interest in a company which bought 7 flats at a knock-down price. This of course had nothing to do with his relationship with the flats developer who just happened to have donated £50,000 to Mr Hunt's constituency Tory party. But of course they hardly knew each other. There now don't you feel sorry for him????
www.theguardian.com/politics/2018/apr/18/jeremy-hunt-investigated-breach-money-laundering-rules-luxury-flats

jura2 Mon 22-Apr-19 18:50:07

Seems to totally contradict your other posts then !?!

GrannyGravy13 Mon 22-Apr-19 19:46:51

I think you will find that 2% of the population pay upwards of 40% of tax collected.

GillT57 Mon 22-Apr-19 20:05:30

Compare and contrast with the sanctioning of benefit claimants if they miss an appointment.

Urmstongran Mon 22-Apr-19 20:47:14

Sorry I’m missing something (if it’s me).
Are my posts contradictory?

jura2 Mon 22-Apr-19 21:22:29

You complain, quite rightly, that:

'It’s always poor Joe Soap taxed at source by PAYE who by default always pay their fair share!'

but you think that is OK if it is Hunt and co.

Or indeed your friend Farage, probably, who uses an outsourcing company to avoid tax of 40% on his 'media' appearances and talks, etc.

jura2 Mon 22-Apr-19 21:23:49

So yes, totally contradictory:

'

Nigel Farage is using a private company to reduce his tax bill on his media appearances, it has emerged.

The Ukip leader diverts money from appearances in the media and on the lecture circuit into a firm called Thorn In The Side Ltd.

It means that last year he paid only 20% corporation tax on profits of £45,000, instead of 40% income tax.'

GabriellaG54 Mon 22-Apr-19 21:37:34

All entirely legal.
I do something similar myself with the containers I invest in.
Money paid to the Netherlands transferred to Ireland.
If it's legal what's your problem?

jura2 Mon 22-Apr-19 21:44:35

It was in response to Urmstongran's post:

'It’s always poor Joe Soap taxed at source by PAYE who by default always pay their fair share!'

Joe Soap does not have the choice to avoid tax as you describe, for sure! My point entirely.

GabriellaG54 Mon 22-Apr-19 22:03:41

It might be an idea to raise the objection with the relevant tax department in HMRC.
Also an idea to get your MP to tackle the inequality by raising the question. I realise that you are not presently in the UK but you have friends and relatives who might help you to get some answers via their own MPs.
It's worth a try anyway.
If it wasn't legal I certainly wouldn't be taking advantage however nobody wants to pay more tax than they have to.