Gransnet forums

News & politics

Visit of Trump

(315 Posts)
maddyone Tue 23-Apr-19 23:43:50

Well Trump has been invited by those at Buckingham Palace to come to Britain for an official state visit. So we can all forget about Brexit, and stop wringing our hands in dismay at Farage and his antics, and we can turn our attention towards a new fashion, hating Trump.

Discuss.

Nanniejc1 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:38:22

Some people just protest about anything & everything.....it would be very disrespectful to protest .........This is about The D Day landings & respect for all the soldiers who died for our countries UK & USA.

Saggi Wed 24-Apr-19 10:38:52

Discuss Trump Maddyone.... are you really Madd. I’m sitting here in my sick bed having just had an eye operation.... same day got diagnose with a ferocious sinus infection.... need to have a tooth out which is making it near impossible to eat....when all the rest is resolved... and to cap it all fell and twisted my ankle yesterday. But I’d rather go through it all over again than discuss that excuse for a man.

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:40:27

I doubt tbat the ceremonies related to the DDay landings will be disrupted - the rest of the visit is fair game

Sarell10 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:40:51

Oh no. Buy a couple of newspapers in each day. You can always donate to a school or animal sanctuary after.

Craftycat Wed 24-Apr-19 10:43:08

I have never taken part in any political protest ( well not since 1967 & the American Embassy anti war one & even then my parents had no clue I was there & never found out)
but I will willingly stand on the Mall & boo him.
Obnoxious man who wouldn't know the truth if it bit him!
I do so hope there is a huge backlash against this visit.

phoenix Wed 24-Apr-19 10:45:37

My understanding (which could be wrong) is that it is a state visit, part of which will involve the D Day landing commemorations.

Hopefully Trump will show more courtesy to HM this time, and not keep her waiting like he did last time, odious oik.

NannyC2 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:47:14

I agree with MaizeD.
He has the right, as President to attend. I also don't agree with the childish balloon stunts.

icanhandthemback Wed 24-Apr-19 10:49:03

Well, that's b*gg*red up the D-Day commemorations for Portsmuthians! Just another good reason to stay out of Portsmouth for me! grin

jura2 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:52:57

Disagree with anyone- just shout 'virtue signalling' and all will be fine. How ridiculous.

Theoddbird Wed 24-Apr-19 10:59:26

I work on a USA base so am surrounded by Americans. Not a good word to be said about him. He has no grasp of the English language and I think takes no notice of advisors. He sacks anyone who disagrees with him. He has totally lost the plot...deranged to the point of being dangerous

Gingergirl Wed 24-Apr-19 11:01:36

He may have the right to attend the D Day commemoration -but life goes on and people have the right to peacefully protest about what he stands for in today’s world. If I was younger, with more energy, I’d join them. Unfortunately, I think the timing is awful and some people may end up venting their ‘brexit anger’ as well.

M0nica Wed 24-Apr-19 11:04:47

The demonstartions are nothing to do with the D Day celebrations, other than the fact that Trump is currently President of the United States and they played a major part in the war.

Protesting against Trump does not therefore affect our respect for all those who served and those who died in World War 2. What brings disgrace is that the current holder of the post of President of the US is a man of limited intelligence, who works with his countries enemies and is a serial fantasist. I have no illusions about the character of previous Presidents, but this one is a draft dodger who dared to criticise the military record of one of the US's greatest and well deserved military heros, John McCain.

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:10:21

It’s also a little ironic that a draft dodger will be commemorating the D Day landings - especially one who criticised John McCain because he was taken prisoner during the Vietnam War whilst he was at home nursing his ‘bone spurs’. Respect this odious man? Really? Really? You think a draft dodging POTUS should criticise a military man because he served part of the war as a prisoner and still be respected because he’s POTUS.?

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:11:01

X posts ‘MO’

missdeke Wed 24-Apr-19 11:11:34

personally I would like to see him totally ignored by everyone when he arrives, nobody turn up for anything he does, and if you happen to be in the vicinity just turn your back. Can you imagine him travelling down the mall in his, coach, armoured car or whatever and the streets lined with no one.

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:12:36

I expect some of you would think JM was virtue signalling by mentioning his military service

trisher Wed 24-Apr-19 11:12:58

Oh let's demonstrate. Let's knit pink pussy hats and join the women in the USA who refuse to keep quiet. We could even sing
www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgrtOO9dGsE

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 11:13:24

No he’s coming got the D Day lending celebrations here and in France.

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 11:14:31

Missdeke

That sounds a much better idea to ignore someone is far more effective than shouting and screaming.

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:16:12

I don’t care why he’s coming - I doubt he even knows where the D Day landings occurred. Remember his last visit when he ended up not visiting a military cemetery because it was raining? And anyway, why is it a state visit and not just a visit - as awful as even that is?

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:17:08

Of course you think that mycat of course you do

Aepgirl Wed 24-Apr-19 11:33:05

Buckingham Palace hasn’t invited him. It’s just protocol that heads of states are invited to meet the Queen. Sadly she has no say in the matter.

tigger Wed 24-Apr-19 11:36:44

What's to discuss, the Speaker (in my view) rightly refuses to let him speak to both houses. Admittedly he was invited before we were fully aware of what a dreadful person he is but his actions and views speak for themselves. And how much is this visit going to cost us?

HootyMcOwlface Wed 24-Apr-19 11:37:08

I hope Prince Philip is on top form! He should get a good tongue lashing off him! Bless him.

GabriellaG54 Wed 24-Apr-19 11:41:43

He hasn't got where he is by being a wallflower. He's controversial and, regardless of detractors who are always, always the more vocal among any population, I bet that he'll be returned after this term is over.