Gransnet forums

News & politics

Visit of Trump

(315 Posts)
maddyone Tue 23-Apr-19 23:43:50

Well Trump has been invited by those at Buckingham Palace to come to Britain for an official state visit. So we can all forget about Brexit, and stop wringing our hands in dismay at Farage and his antics, and we can turn our attention towards a new fashion, hating Trump.

Discuss.

phoenix Wed 24-Apr-19 08:48:07

Yes, a Mass Moon, "Show Your Rump to Trump"

Flatulence optional, of course.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:08:00

I visited 3 USA states in the September during the run up to the election, Florida and Nevada loved DT, New York were all for Hilary.

DT has a huge following and I would be very surprised if he was not re-elected.

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 09:18:29

I think these posts epitomise a petty nastiness. Trump for the time being is the President of our key ally, our shield during the Cold War - and with NATO and Five-eyes into the future. What Trump said about Germany and France was true - something that was previously shirked by his predecessors and we all know. Yes, he has some undesirable, vulgar traits, but he should be seen as the elected Representative of the US.

Try and have some thoughts for his late British mother who instilled good thoughts of Britain in him. He has great respect for the Queen. A better friend than Merkel or Macron. He hasn’t got anywhere near the crime of Tony Blair - and he’s still given a lot of U.K. media space! (Actually probably because he’s a Remainer).

lemongrove Wed 24-Apr-19 09:23:59

I agree GG13 and unless the Democrats field a very popular figure to oppose him, I think he is in for a second term.
Awful people (worse than DT) have been feted here, it’s called diplomacy.
Am surprised that he is not going everywhere by helicopter, surely there is a helipad in BP grounds, perhaps he wants to travel the old fashioned way?
The government have to right to invite him and the populace have the right to protest and shout.

Anja Wed 24-Apr-19 09:25:20

Rubbish! He should never have been elected. More people voted for Hilary, but it was her burning ambition to be the first woman POTUS that helped get him elected.

The man is a moron and a disgrace to his office.

PS not petty nastiness just righteous disgust

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:34:34

Anyone would think that it was the norm for the POTUS to come on a state visit. It just so is not and certainly not to be invited so quickly after being ‘elected’. It’s another example of TM’s lack of judgement and I look forward to the gaffes, impoliteness and sheer stupidity that DT and his entourage will exhibit during the visit. I also love the pickle DT lovers will be put in when he yet again insults the Queen as I guess the average DT supporter is a royalist ( but not vice versa I hasten to add).

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 09:40:54

After climate change and Brexit demos this is certainly turning out to be a summer of protesting. Just glad it’s not of Parisian proportions.

Protesting about Trump is just virtue signalling. We need to remember Trump was democratically elected by the people of the USA.

lemongrove Wed 24-Apr-19 09:43:40

anja.....’he should never have been elected’ ??
He was elected using the American system of voting, the same as always there.

Who are the DT lovers ( certainly there aren’t any I have seen on GN.) Probably not many in the UK either.

Jane10 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:46:07

As previously stated Urmstongran he polled 3 million votes less than Clinton. It's not virtue signalling it's our honest opinions!

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:48:35

I never said that there were DT lovers on GN but I’m sure there are in the country - one of them is leader of the Brexit Party.

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:49:50

FFS virtue signalling again. How utterly utterly pathetic.

MaizieD Wed 24-Apr-19 09:50:29

Who are the DT lovers ( certainly there aren’t any I have seen on GN.)

Not been reading Urmstongran's posts then, lemon?

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:51:21

And I don’t care how democratically elected any leader is in terms of anyone’s right to criticise them. It’s a complete irrelevance

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 09:52:20

Maizie ????????

Joelsnan Wed 24-Apr-19 10:04:01

I do not like Trump, didn't like him before he became president, still don't like him now. However, because he is still in office in USA and still has a large following I wonder if we are being spun all the bad and ridiculous news about him by the UK media. Surely if he was as bad as portrayed he could be ousted.
When I lived abroad I was quite anxious to come home because all I read and saw was bad things about UK. (Although there are problems its not as scary as I had imagined).
The trouble with Trump is that he is narcissistic and in your face. There are other Presidents who dont come out white on inspection yet because they were 'quieter' folk their misdeeds were either ignored, or not unearthed until later.
Maybe its the decade to have clowns and comedians as heads of states.

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 10:12:14

Completely agree with urmstrongran

I don’t think trump is up to the job and he’s not an attractive personally but for now he is president of that USA one of our closest allies and it’s disrespectful to the people of the USA to protest.

Anyway the visit is about commemorating the D day Landings so it’s should be about remembering all the young Allied lives lost.

Presidents and PMs come and go and you show respect to the office not the person.

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 10:15:00

MaizieD

Seriously can you not dissimilar between the man and the office? As I said I don’t like him but protesting against him by British people is disrespectful.

The balloon stunt made The mayor of London look very childish.

Urmstongran Wed 24-Apr-19 10:18:31

Yep I read the Daily Telegraph.
And The Guardian.
And the Daily Mail.

All 3 avidly, every day.
So?

Jane10 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:20:42

I also read what Trump himself writes. Its an embarrassment to decent people in America.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:21:07

Surely if there are demonstrations when he attends the commemoration of the D Day Landings it is extremely disrespectful to all who lost their lives and their surviving relatives.

It will just show the UK in a bad and childish light worldwide?

annodomini Wed 24-Apr-19 10:21:32

If you want to find a very good reason not to welcome this despot to our shores, take a look at this documentary about his treatment of residents in Aberdeenshire. I hope he isn't heading for Scotland.

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 10:21:40

urmstrongran

I read the daily mail and the guardian too. I think it’s good to read and listen to both left and the right or you simply exist in your own echo chamber.

Sadly that’s not the case with many people. That’s why we are all so polarised now.

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 10:22:38

This is not about trump it’s about the D Day landings!!!!!!

Nanniejc1 Wed 24-Apr-19 10:30:30

Well at least he’s doing what he said he would ,not like our politicians.He is the President of one of our biggest allies & I think people should show some respect.Lots of Americans support him & I wouldn’t be a bit surprised if he re-elected.I have no problem with him,at least he puts his own people first which our politicians haven’t done for years.Our government has invited worse tyrants ,Mugabe & the Chinese chap plus several others who were allowed to speak in parliament.........double standards?

MaizieD Wed 24-Apr-19 10:36:18

No, Mycatisahacker, I can't differentiate between the man and the office; he has brought the office into disrepute by using it for his own personal gain and the gain of his family. His words and actions disgust people who care for decency, truth and honour.

As I said in my earlier post, he's only been invited to the UK because May is desperate to try to obtain a trade deal with the US; a deal which will run a train through the high standards we have come to expect from our contributions to, and participation in, EU trade deals and which will destroy the NHS as we know it, as it is left wide open to privatisation.

It's interesting to see where support for, and opposition to, his visit comes from. We truly have two distinctive 'tribes' in the UK as shown by the poll chart varian posted on another thread

www.gransnet.com/forums/news_and_politics/1259534-Brexit-what-else?pg=6

Penultimate post.