Gransnet forums

News & politics

The priest at Lyras funeral

(264 Posts)
Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 17:43:03

Got a standing ovation. Very deserved. Good on him

Day6 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:12:47

She was made very unhappy by how she was made to feel about her sexuality for most of her sadly very short life

I truly sympathise, but isn't that the case with many, many young homosexuals, whether they have religion or not? Coming out is a big deal for many people, still. (It shouldn't be, but declaring it to parents, relatives, friends, colleagues, the world, is a scary step for many.)

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 19:16:03

Of course I think it must be. but surely the average house hold (not religious in Britain) must be more accepting than those with a strong religious belief? Maybe I don’t know as not been there or my kids. Obviously there are ignorant bigots everywhere

Anniebach Wed 24-Apr-19 19:18:49

Are all with a religious belief less accepting of homosexuality than those of no faith *Mycatisahacker?

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 19:33:22

No Anniebach sorry of course the C of E accept and embrace all?? I think??? Dodgy ground here as not religious and know some of no religion who are bigots.

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 19:34:43

Day6

Mad isn’t it!

Callistemon Wed 24-Apr-19 19:39:33

I may be old fashioned but I didn’t think one clapped in church?
Well, I go very rarely but I have clapped in church on several occasions in the past.

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:39:53

She said herself that what the church said about it being evil and she would go to hell deeply affected her. Hence the letter. If the church changed its teaching then surely this would impact positively across society in general?

Anniebach Wed 24-Apr-19 19:41:59

Mycatisahacker the Anglican Church does not accept marriage between same sex couples, I don’t accept this is bigotry

Callistemon Wed 24-Apr-19 19:43:50

I don't think it is just the Roman Catholic church either - other religions preach against it too.

Look what is happening in Brunei for instance.

Anniebach Wed 24-Apr-19 19:45:10

Why should a church change it’s teaching ? You approve of hypocrisy?

I get irritated by atheists who criticise people of faith , being an atheist is such an easy path.

jura2 Wed 24-Apr-19 19:48:50

Easy? When you say 'church' what do you mean?

There are virtually 100s of different Christian denominations - with massively different attitudes to many things- Some have evolved, some have not. Some believe the earth is flat and that Evolution does not exist.

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 19:49:34

Anniebach

I do understand that people have sincere beliefs of course they do but I think those beliefs should be personal? So you believe what you think is right but accept other people have other sincere views and rights.

I thought some Anglican vicars married same sex couples?? I thought it was their choice???

Anniebach Wed 24-Apr-19 20:06:13

Marriage between same sex couples is not allowed in the Anglican Church, an Anglican priest can choose to bless the Couple after a civil ceremony.

Pity this thread has moved quickly from the fears of the people in NI that the dark days of ‘the troubles’ could return
to same sex marriage

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 20:15:20

Not a pity at all ab the thread has kept pretty focused on love and the acceptance of the many ways of loving that should be the cornerstone of any religion. Love and acceptance of difference would go a long way to help heal NI rather than pedalling of hate and calling people evil for loving differently.

Anniebach Wed 24-Apr-19 20:19:14

The Troubles were not caused by disagreements of people loving differently

maryeliza54 Wed 24-Apr-19 20:26:38

I didn’t say that and I certainly don’t want to get into a discussion of the complex history of Ireland. What I do know is that making young gay people feel evil and fearing hell is wicked and evil and those who believe and preach that have nothing, nothing to say about peace and love and a better society. That’s it really. I remember how excited everyone got about that priest at Meghsn’s wedding and I bet no one can remember his name now. Well this one will have no impact either - you think the DUP would take the slightest notice of a RC priest anyway?

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 20:30:47

I have to agree with you Maryeliza

The troubles were caused by intolerance, hatred, discrimination and division.

It’s all one and the same just pick your prejudices

Callistemon Wed 24-Apr-19 20:36:49

I remember how excited everyone got about that priest at Meghsn’s wedding and I bet no one can remember his name now.
No, I can't remember his name, but I can visualise him clearly and hear him - wasn't he a bishop?

Callistemon Wed 24-Apr-19 20:37:23

Michael?

Mycatisahacker Wed 24-Apr-19 20:39:59

Best part of the wedding! grin

annep1 Thu 25-Apr-19 05:02:02

you think the DUP would take the slightest notice of a RC priest anyway?
SF would?
Perhaps people could stop voting for these two parties and move forward - without looking backwards.

Grandma70s Thu 25-Apr-19 06:15:26

When I was young gay people didn’t usually ‘come out’. If you were male, it was illegal anyway. Nothing was said, but people of the same sex could live together and be referred to as friends. For some there was more to it in private, for some there wasn’t. For the most part, nobody knew which. In some ways, that was simpler. Looking back, I knew one or two couples, male and female, who were probably homosexual, but nobody mentioned it at the time. Don’t ask, don’t tell.

Sorry, I’m probably off topic. I didn't see Lyra’s funeral so can’t comment except to say that the attitude of most religions towards homosexuality is one of the reasons I would not follow a religious faith. Who do they think they are?

Anja Thu 25-Apr-19 07:01:59

What the hell is all this nit picking, flagging up her sexuality got to do with anything?

A young woman is dead. Dead because of the tribal intolerance, so common in some sections of society and manifesting itself as religion in N. Ireland.

It wasn’t her homosexuality that killed her it was a bullet from the gun of an intolerant bigot. The body language and faces of certain of the politicians sat at the front wore that same look and their reluctance to get to their feet to applaud the words directed at them spoke volumes.

Grandma70s Thu 25-Apr-19 07:13:00

You are right, of course, anja. I think some of us just got sidetracked by another sort of intolerant bigotry.

Anja Thu 25-Apr-19 07:43:08

Easily done.

I am just so SAD at a young life lost.