Gransnet forums

News & politics

There will be a Scottish Independence Referendum

(18 Posts)
SirChenjin Fri 26-Apr-19 07:19:10

What’s that got to do with the lack of confidence that so many of us have in the SNP? I don’t believe for one second that the party will suddenly disband if - god forbid - we were to become independent as it does actually have policies which extend beyond Indy.

FarNorth Thu 25-Apr-19 20:02:10

Zero confidence in SNP and after independence you'd be able to vote for whoever you want.
SNP MSPs and MPs, having achieved their main aim of independence, would be free to join and campaign for any party they choose.

SirChenjin Thu 25-Apr-19 19:49:00

Exactly that Cherry grin

Mycatisahacker Thu 25-Apr-19 19:34:33

cherrytrees59

In a nutshell grin

Cherrytree59 Thu 25-Apr-19 19:17:44

Stage one (If UK government santions another referendum)
A Vote

Stage two
Debate and arguments from the losing side to say that the referendum was based on lies and that the 'winning' majority did not understand or comprehend what they were voting for.

Stage three -
If pro -independence loses, well obviously just call for another referendum as that seems to be how it works.

Stage four
Keep having votes and referenda until people get the answer they consider to be the right one.

Sod democracy

Septimia Thu 25-Apr-19 18:52:58

I can understand anyone in Scotland being fed up with Westminster. Probably most of us are at the moment anyway.
But there are a lot of us south of the border (and I'm not far south) who have relatives in Scotland, who originated there, etc., or who would simply prefer a trip to Edinburgh to one to London.
So if the Scots can vote whether to separate from England, can the English have a say in it too, please?

Granny23 Thu 25-Apr-19 18:38:36

Greece is a much poorer Country than Scotland and beset with financial corruption.

From Wikipedia:

" However, the Greek economy continues to face significant problems, including high unemployment levels, an inefficient public sector bureaucracy, tax evasion, corruption and low global competitiveness.[64][65]
Greece is ranked 59th in the world on the Corruption Perceptions Index alongside Romania, with only Hungary and Bulgaria scoring worse among EU member states.[66] Greece also has the EU's lowest Index of Economic Freedom and second lowest Global Competitiveness Index, ranking 115th and 57th in the world respectively."

Mycatisahacker Thu 25-Apr-19 13:51:34

Maybe ask Greece PaddyAnn

Mycatisahacker Thu 25-Apr-19 13:50:33

paddyann

If you were referring to me I am in support of the Scots having another vote. Go for it. How is that telling you what to do? wink

mcem Thu 25-Apr-19 13:48:59

If you choose to read a thread which is not "for SNP zealots" hop over to the other referendum thread which has some optimistic and non-threatening posts! Mind you I'd like to know where on this thread to find these overzealous posts. I see enthusiastic presentation of facts!

Jane10 Thu 25-Apr-19 11:17:47

Remain EU. Remain UK.
Zero confidence in SNP after more than a decade of them and their inept centralising government.
No point in saying more as this is a thread for SNP zealots.

Urmstongran Thu 25-Apr-19 11:01:49

Sorry mcem I didn’t phrase that very well.
I didn’t mean to be disrespectful.
☹️

I’ve just noticed another thread on the same topic! Will they merge?

mcem Thu 25-Apr-19 10:52:37

Denmark? Finland? Ireland? ( And many smaller.)
All "weird"?

Urmstongran Thu 25-Apr-19 09:46:35

Good luck in your endeavours. If that’s what the majority in Scotland would like to happen, it will fly.

That said a recent poll still shows a majority would vote to remain in the U.K.

It’s weird though to think of the size of Scotland having less people living there (just over 5 million) compared to those who live in London - approximately 8 million!

paddyann Thu 25-Apr-19 09:38:24

love how English folk STILL tell us what we WILL have to do!! Maybe you could get your own house in order without the financial support of Scotland .I have no issue with the euro ...I have memories of the change to decimal in the early 70's and that went without a hitch as far as I know .Why wouldn't any other change work well?

Mycatisahacker Thu 25-Apr-19 09:20:20

I think you should go and you will probably prosper and so will England. See that’s upbeat.

Think you would have to adopt the euro though to join the eu.

mcem Thu 25-Apr-19 09:02:10

Have just posted on the other new thread.
I see my post as positive.

Granny23 Thu 25-Apr-19 08:40:18

I think it is time for a fresh thread now that we know it is going to happen within the next 2 years.

Everyone in Scotland will have the chance to opt out of the Brexit Shambles, dissociate themselves from the corrupt and 'Not fit for Purpose' Westminster Parliament and instead will become a prosperous, welcoming, nuclear free, eco friendly, slightly left of centre, small Country within Europe and hopefully, once the dust has settled a good friend and neighbour to the rest of the UK.

Is it too much to hope for that this thread could be upbeat and positive?????