Gransnet forums

News & politics

Peers wanting to remove pensioners' benefits

(407 Posts)
jaylucy Thu 25-Apr-19 09:54:35

I think a few of the peers need to exist on the state pension for a few months and then see if they think the same !

Jangran99 Thu 25-Apr-19 09:51:04

£305 per day attendance allowance,travel expenses and subsidised restaurant facilities.DISGRACEFUL

Beckett Thu 25-Apr-19 09:47:56

I suppose if you are being paid several hundred pounds a day just for showing up you don't need free TV licences or bus passes. Perhaps before the vote they should all have to live on the state pension for 6 months - I think that would give a lot of them a wake up call.

Urmstongran Thu 25-Apr-19 09:39:30

Thanks to the coalition government Nick Clegg brought forward the delaying of state pensions to 66y. I get mine next year. A friend was one of the last of the lucky bunch and she got hers when she was 60y. I also don’t qualify for free bus travel till I get my state pension.

So a conservative estimate is that I am at least £30,000 out of pocket compared to my friend. I’m still sore and the government aren’t listening to WASPI.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if these rich Peers of the Realm decided to vote for even more hardship for some of us. More ‘do as I say’.
☹️

LaraGransnet (GNHQ) Thu 25-Apr-19 09:33:04

Here's a link to the BBC article. Very interesting to know what you think? www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48046595

Humbertbear Thu 25-Apr-19 09:29:57

I agree that there seems to be a misconception that we are all living in the lap of luxury. Not only is this not true but after a life time of hard work and managing tight budgets, many of us are saving the State millions by providing free care for both our elderly relatives and our grandchildren. Unlike the younger generations we see today, we didn’t think anyone owed us anything and just got on with building our lives and families.

Antonia Thu 25-Apr-19 09:24:58

This morning I am reading about peers wanting to remove pensioners' benefits such as free bus passes and free TV licences. This is appalling, given that many pensioners exist on a low income already. For many pensioners, chatting to someone at the bus stop may be the only contact they have all day, and removing bus passes would condemn thousands to a life of loneliness, which is already endemic.