Gransnet forums

News & politics

Saudi Arabia

(39 Posts)
maddyone Sat 27-Apr-19 11:03:58

Apparently on Tuesday Saudi Arabia beheaded 37 of its people in a mass execution. It is reported that five of these people were gay. It is also reported that confessions were obtained under torture.

This piece of information makes me feel so repulsed that I haven’t any words. I would post the link but I’m rubbish at doing that, However a simple Google search will bring it up. If this has been reported on television news, I have missed it. I’m just so appalled that something like this can happen and receive so little attention. Apparently Soudi Arabia is one of our ‘friends.’

Much attention in the media seems to be on Brexit, and Trump’s projected visit, both important, but covered endlessly. Meanwhile this can happen in Soudi and receives little attention. Of course the appalling terror attack in in Sri Lanka has received much attention too, but people in Soudi must feel that the world has forgotten them. How I feel for the mothers of those poor young men, those poor, poor, parents, to lose their children in such an abhorrent way.

Does the world care, do you think?

maddyone Sat 27-Apr-19 11:05:16

The title should read Saudi Arabia, of course. This iPad plays tricks I’m afraid.

MaizieD Sat 27-Apr-19 11:07:39

I share your horror, maddyone. But we support this regime... sell arms to them.

grannysue05 Sat 27-Apr-19 11:11:39

Maddy I think a lot of atrocities occur in Saudi Arabia. Whatever happened to the outcry over that journalist Khashoggi ?
We have multi billion pound deals going on with this country so our government will remain quiet.

Chewbacca Sat 27-Apr-19 11:14:30

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2019/04/26/victims-saudi-arabia-mass-execution-made-false-confessions-torture/

It's appalling maddyone and I'd like to think that the world would collectively condemn SA but sadly I don't think they will and, if they do, it will have little effect. The increase in homophobia globally, especially in Arabic countries, in deeply worrying but I suspect that little can, or will, be done.

SA is a terrifying country to be in if you don't fit in with what they determine as normal.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Apr-19 11:16:37

Someone who lives very well as a result of Saudi Arabia and its barbaric practices in the Yemen. Why would our PM question SA?

www.stopwar.org.uk/index.php/news-comment/3017-philip-may-profiting-from-wife-s-military-policies

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Apr-19 11:26:06

I am a little unclear what is said to the May’s god when they kneel in front of him/her every Sunday.

Do they continually ask for forgiveness. If I was their god I’d be inclined to send down a bolt of lightening.

maddyone Sat 27-Apr-19 11:26:07

Maizie and GrannyS, you are so right. As the mother of one gay son, and two other children, I feel so repulsed by this news, and equally repulsed by our media that has barely covered it. These young men (I think they were all men) were just beginning their lives. One was about to go off to university in America. I’m sitting here this morning, having just had a lovely evening out last night with one of my sons and his wife, and I actually feel like crying. I’m so lucky, we all are who live here in Britain. We have no fear that our beloved children will ever face such a threat. And you’re right Maizie, I believe we sell arms to this regime. It’s absolutely sickening.

maddyone Sat 27-Apr-19 11:27:25

Thanks for the link Chewbacca.

maddyone Sat 27-Apr-19 11:38:24

Thank you also Whitewave, I wonder why I’m not surprised about Phillip May. How anyone can live with themselves, and go to church every Sunday, knowing about all of this. It’s sickening.

PamelaJ1 Sat 27-Apr-19 11:47:10

What surprises and saddens me is that are people still seem surprised to hear about these atrocities.
These, it isn’t just SA, are appalling regimes.

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Apr-19 11:56:39

It is their religious beliefs that lead them to do these things, just as other religions and races carry out different acts which are possibly less disturbing but nonetheless abhorrent to us.
To meddle in their 'politics' is suicide.

maddyone Sat 27-Apr-19 11:57:21

I’m not surprised about the regime Pamela, I’m sickened. But I am surprised that there has been so little (if any) coverage on the television. The television is where most people get their news, newspaper sales have been falling for a number of years now. As retired people (mostly) we on Gransnet have time to read news online, but I never did that when I was teaching, and probably most people don’t when they’re busy working. I relied on the television for news then, and there has been nothing on television as far as I’m aware. That’s why I think the Saudi people must think the world has forgotten them.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Apr-19 12:04:22

“Meddling in politics” is a tad different to actively supporting their barbarous activities with arms, instruments of torture etc. And to add insult to injury profiting from it.

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Apr-19 12:27:37

Whitewavemark2
The reason we sell arms was for a very altruistic reason. Their reasons for killing these men were nothing to do with us selling them arms.
We still trade with other countries with whose practices we disagree.
If we withheld sales of everything we trade to countries whose morals and practices disgust us, we'd do little to no business.

Anja Sat 27-Apr-19 13:05:03

And what ‘altruistic’ reason would that be GabbyG?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Apr-19 13:08:55

Altruism and arms seem very strange bedfellows.

Selling a country bread or medicine with whom we disagree politically is in my view perfectly acceptable. Selling them arms and instruments of torture to use on innocent children and individuals and then lining my pockets with this blood money is not acceptable.

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Apr-19 13:58:28

I'm sure that you can Google the reasons Anja however I'm sure that someone of your intelligence already knows the answer. grin

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Apr-19 13:59:57

They weren't sold with that in mind Whitewavemark2

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Apr-19 14:02:22

We trade with other countries which sell arms to SA.
There is no difference.

EllanVannin Sat 27-Apr-19 14:03:18

Whatever happens, we mustn't interfere. How others rule their countries and its peoples has nothing to do with us.

I'm only interested in what goes on under our own noses in this country----such as slavery, exploitation, grooming of young innocents for sex or wars against religion etc etc.
Do other countries come to our aid in stopping these odious crimes ?

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Apr-19 14:04:53

I suppose you use petrol...and it's derivatives.
Why buy from a country which, as you mention, kills children?

GabriellaG54 Sat 27-Apr-19 14:06:02

The above was to Whitewavemark2 and Anja.

M0nica Sat 27-Apr-19 14:13:05

I cannot understand why we continue to trade with this barbaric kingdom - and getting worse. The current young man in in charge is well on the path to being an absolutist dictator, a psychopath utterly indifferent to other people.

I know the great cry will come up about British jobs, sales of technology etc etc But surely the death of Jamal Khashoggi and these executions surely must make the government take pause for thought. How many deaths must we countenance before we say enough is enough. One death per British job, 2 deaths per British job .........10 deaths per British job?

Whitewavemark2 Sat 27-Apr-19 14:29:17

We only import a very tiny amount of oil from SA. We can very easily switch to another country.

Just like our trade with the EU we trade most with our nearest neighbour Norway. It would only amount to a tiny bit more from them.