Gransnet forums

News & politics

Guess Farage policies

(39 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Apr-19 11:39:57

It occurred to me when answering a post on the Brexit MEP thread, that we (no one) has a clue what Farage policies will be if he actually achieves the nightmare of getting into power.

I am wondering if anyone has any theories of what his policies might be

Day6 Sun 28-Apr-19 14:52:11

I am wondering if anyone has any theories of what his policies might be

I thought it as pretty clear?

The Brexit Party is standing fo the EU elections only, at the moment.

It's a one issue party - to respect the referendum result and to ensure Leave means Leave.

I'd like to think that if the Brexit does contest GE, with a lot more candidates, it will have a manifesto that appeals to a broad spectrum of people living in the UK, from the poorest to richest and that policies bring about fairness and a recognition of all, from whatever backgrounds, faiths, circumstances people are from.

This is something Labour in particular has failed to do. It has totally ignored working classes and become London-centric and far left. I dare say they'll be out canvassing in poorer places come the election, but they fool no one.

The Brexit Paty will be for immigration, if it is controlled and people coming to work in Britain will add to the skills base and benefit the UK, rather than be a drain on the taxpayer and resources, which affects us all. I suspect most fair and compassionate places like the UK have similar sensible policies, unlike Labour and it's open door policy (and David Blunkett's 2004 statement that the UK is capable of taking in and housing all-comers.)

I feel SURE you wanted us to mention immigration Whitewave. hmm

Having listened to Farage speak he seems genned up on the problems we face, like affordable housing, social housing, an NHS which is efficient and strong, manufacturing being supported and a UK which trades with the rest of the world on our terms, as well as the EU.

How our present, incompetent politicians have managed to make such a big cock-up of that last one beggars belief and leaves us all looking for an alternative political home. The Brexit Party is likely to be the place many turn to, for good reason. Labour with Corbyn and the Conservatives with May have worked to tie us to the EU.

Day6 Sun 28-Apr-19 14:57:32

Remember Whitewave (to address your OP) to many in the UK, the threat of Corbyn gaining power and running the country is a much bigger 'nightmare' than the thought of having Farage at the helm. shock

Devorgilla Sun 28-Apr-19 15:01:01

I think anything below £5000 is allowed without disclosing. I too am amazed at how the electorate is prepared to vote in these elections for a leader whose party policies are so unclear. I am also amazed at people who say they won't vote or will spoil their vote. You silence your voice by doing that. As for Farage's policies, my betting is like WWM2, the NHS will be the first victim. It will form a major part of any Trump American deal and will favour business people rather than the sick and the poor. We will be tied in to a contract for a very long time and the health of our nation will deteriorate. The chances of the NHS being resurrected again will be very slim indeed. I can understand people's anger at Brexit not being sorted yet, but anger is not a good frame of mind in which to make a decision about the long term future of your country. Stop, take several very deep breaths and consider what the other policies of these parties seeking election are. Once the last vote is counted and the result declared it really is too late to change your mind. You can spend a very long time regretting that decision made in anger.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Apr-19 15:21:39

day6 nope you may like to think you know, but you don’t. That is the point I am making.

One can make a guess at his policies, and judging by the friends he keeps, they are not particularly attractive. We know what he has said in the past and with whom he is in agreement.

So either you are assuming that he is a one trick pony and will resign after achieving your longed for Brexit, or he will continue with what? You have absolutely no idea. That is not democracy that is absolutism.

I can give you a long list of potential policies knowing his political sympathies, but I am never going to vote for something over which I am clueless.

crystaltipps Sun 28-Apr-19 15:31:38

When he was part of UKIP I think bringing back smoking in pubs and relaxing gun control were two of the policies ?

trisher Sun 28-Apr-19 15:47:36

GillT57 I'm very aware that that was how Hitler started and I fear that the down turn in our economy which will most likely follow our exit from the EU is in fact just the sort of situation Farage and his mates want. They will then blame it on someone else and begin their campaign, using the prejudices evident in Day6's post. People do know that Farage stated he was a fascist when he was at school, don't they? That he used to sing "Gas 'em all"? And after all many thought Hitler was a bit of a joke when he first started.

Day6 Sun 28-Apr-19 15:49:38

One can make a guess at his policies, and judging by the friends he keeps...

So, you know his friends Whitewave? Who are they? Who informs him, who advises him? Pray tell? He has publicly denounced the toxic elements of UKIP (thank goodness!) and distanced himself from the party a long time ago.

He hosts a phone-in current events radio programme and he speaks off the cuff and very well, imo. He seems fair. Yes - must admit I wanted to hate him when I first tuned in to LBC but he spoke sense and was prepared to listen to other view-points too and discuss everything with courtesy. I was surprised but I am not the first to mention his good hosting skills and honest answers.

Shouldn't we be even more wary of Corbyn's friends? He seems to be friends with every enemy of the UK. He doesn't support the monarchy or the armed forces and he makes a show of being patriotic, but does it uneasily.

Don't you find Corbyn's friendships more bizarre and frightening?

GrandmaJan Sun 28-Apr-19 15:53:18

Farage and the Brexit party are aiming for the EU elections first then they’ll probably decide on policies in preparation for the next General Election. They’ll never have enough MP’s to cause too many problems at a GE but MP’s who have not voted the way their electoral did in the referendum need to be careful because a lot of people aren’t happy.

Whitewavemark2 Sun 28-Apr-19 16:13:20

So let’s have a look at Farages political stable mates and the policies they espouse. Difficult to know where to begin. But I’ll start with

Steve Bannon. Co-founded Cambridge Analytica- remember that scandal. Links all the way to Farage.
Co-founded Breitbart News. A far right publication . It’s articles are misogynistic, racist and xenophobic. It has been proven to have published lies and misleading “facts”
Banning is in contact and actively working with the fascists in Europe. His intention as I have previously mentioned though “The Movement” is to destroy the EU. He is in regular contact with Farage and has frequent meetings.
Bannon is a self confessed white supremacist.

So Farage has links to all the fascist parties in Europe.

Anyone with half a brain will understand what sort of political policies they will pursue given half a chance.

Labaik Sun 28-Apr-19 16:32:48

Am I alone in worrying that we assume these extreme groups will target 'furriners'. But I can't help but feel the elderly [ie me] will be targeted too....

MaizieD Sun 28-Apr-19 16:56:09

I think anything below £5000 is allowed without disclosing.

Too many noughts, Devorgilla. It's £500 that isn't counted as a 'donation'; anything over it is a donation and has to be accounted for. And, it can only come from specified sources. The leaflet I posted the link too is very helpful in explaining this.

I see what Whitewave was thinking, though. A sizable sum could soon be collected through £499 'gifts' which seem to be untraceable.

Urmstongran Sun 28-Apr-19 17:14:36

I think there’s a lot of unsettled people on this thread! I’ve enjoyed reading all the comments.

Labour and Tory ARE remain Parties, Libdems are irrelevant. 17.4 Million people are politically homeless and the only Party for us now is The Brexit Party, once we have won a landslide victory in the EU elections the Brexit Party will I hope produce a common sense "for the people" manifesto.

The main parties have treated the electorate with utter contempt time for REAL CHANGE!!!

They arrogantly continue as if you are untouchable. Goes for Labour too.Well, have we got news for you.

GillT57 Sun 28-Apr-19 18:33:23

urmonstangran. I cannot decide whether to laugh or weep at your touching trust in Farage and his merry men, even despite all the facts about his dodgy friends.