Gransnet forums

News & politics

Nicola Sturgeon-does appearance matter?

(130 Posts)
trisher Sun 28-Apr-19 19:23:55

She strides onto the podium, her every movement is confident and controlled. She speaks with passion and authority and still manages to connect with her audience. How come we can't produce a politician with such panache?
Oh and she does selfies without looking as if it is all a set up.

Caledonai14 Wed 08-May-19 11:10:40

Thanks for that Granny23. I liked NS's reaction to Baby Grace's mishap. Very natural all round and the self-deprecation is one of her most endearing attributes.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-scotland-47473442/baby-grace-is-sick-on-nicola-sturgeon

Granny23 Wed 08-May-19 10:28:28

Here is my favourite picture of NS - taken when she was visiting a Nursery. She always seems to have a special rapport with babies and toddlers.

SirChenjin Wed 01-May-19 18:51:24

Yes it will be interesting to see how RD handles things - she’s in a hugely difficult position as a result of WM politicians. Although the Tories were the only party who campaigned to remain it was always going to be a U.K. wide result - and of course with such a close result there was always going to be a huge backlash, and now of course the penny is dropping and the implications for the terms separation is becoming clear.

It’s interesting that you mention ‘hatred’ stirred up against NS. The whole country is still very divided unfortunately, with hatred for both RD and NS very evident, especially the more hard line unionists and nationalists. On the flip side of that they are robustly challenged by the electorate - which is a positive thing.

Caledonai14 Wed 01-May-19 18:24:48

All the major parties in Scotland campaigned for remain. Ruth Davidson campaigned for remain.

We don't know what she will do when she comes back, but she has currently ruled out a move to Westminster, so I think she will fight for Scotland's interests as far as any Tory is able to in the current leadership tensions and skulduggery over EU membership. She may have to do it very quietly under the radar, however.

Our best hope, though, lies with the SNP and the Greens who don't have to pander to their unionist bosses in London and who aren't treated as a branch office in the way that Scottish Labour are. History will show Nicola Sturgeon as one of the best Scottish leaders, despite all the ridiculous hatred stirred up against her.

We are lucky that - at the very least - Indy2 will give us a "people's vote" of a kind on Europe and the many pressing Tory-manufactured social injustices of our age ... and probably that will be after people come to their senses about the damage Brexit will foist on us.

SirChenjin Wed 01-May-19 17:44:52

Because, as you know paddy, the vote was U.K. wide, and through a democratic vote in 2014 Scotland voted to stay in the UK.

I don’t see myself as a yoon (or a quisling or any of the other terms thrown at the majority of Scottish people by many nationalists) - they’re laughable, in the same way that claims about unionists (you mean the majority of us) putting party before country or letting Scotland down by voting no or not being real Scots are.

paddyann Wed 01-May-19 16:26:33

Nationalist or not surely you should expect the leader of a so called SCOTTISH party to work FOR Scotland and not against it ? We voted remain ,every single area of the country brought home a Remain result.Why then isn't Ruth or for that matter the tories from the branch office in WM fighting our cause and not just following the party line ?I dont call folk yoons ..but if thats how you see yourself ....I take it you wont be marching on Saturday ?

Callistemon Wed 01-May-19 16:25:03

Is it just coincidence that two of the best women politicians are from Scotland?
I reckon it's those porage oats that makes 'em all strong in Scotland!

lemongrove Wed 01-May-19 16:09:23

I never venture ‘beyond the wall’ ?

Mycatisahacker Wed 01-May-19 13:04:51

grin grin

SirChenjin Wed 01-May-19 12:28:30

Very probably! grin

Mycatisahacker Wed 01-May-19 12:22:00

I reckon it’s the cold keeps you all on your toes wink

SirChenjin Wed 01-May-19 12:13:39

Aaaaand the Nationalist is off.....you'll be claiming that Yoons aren't real Scots soon paddy - or at least, we are, but not really, because we believed the lies of they evil Toories and that's why we don't have independence, by the way, but hmm

Trish - no, I don't think it is co-incidence, we're obviously a fantastic bunch up here grin. I suspect there's a combination of reasons - less rigid class structure maybe? Population size making it easier to climb upwards in politics? I don't really know.

paddyann Wed 01-May-19 11:55:52

See I'm not a fan of Ruth,she'll completely change tack and decide Brexit is the way forward after saying the opposite for months.nay... YEARS .She's certainly PARTY before country as are most unionists and its a pity because when we get Independence ...and it is coming she'll have to prove she has OUR interests at heart instead of the Westminster master she currently dances for .

trisher Wed 01-May-19 11:48:19

Is it just coincidence that two of the best women politicians are from Scotland?

Mycatisahacker Wed 01-May-19 09:56:10

I don’t blame you hanging on to her! She’s such an assert! Warm and a great communicator

SirChenjin Tue 30-Apr-19 15:36:54

Yes, it will be interesting to see how RD approaches the thorny (to say the very least) issue of Brexit within a Scottish context. I'm not sure though that it's just the Tories that are a mess nationally - Labour aren't far behind. I'm watching Change UK with interest, they could be the middle ground party that I think many of us who are currently turned off politics across all parts of the UK are looking for. Time will tell though.

Caledonai14 Tue 30-Apr-19 15:04:29

The difference is that the Tories nationally are now in such a mess they can be named and shamed by all the other parties in the Scottish parliament. It's a dilemma for Richard Leonard and Willie Rennie, and one that didn't really exist when RD went off on maternity leave.

The good thing about Holyrood is that you do sometimes get answers during debates and there is much more consensus than we see at Westminster, especially recently.

SirChenjin Tue 30-Apr-19 14:28:34

Hands off - she’s ours! grin The political sparring between RD and NS is something to behold and makes for very interesting viewing on FM Questions, regardless of what you think about their politics. Never a dull moment when they both take to the floor, that’s for sure.

Mycatisahacker Tue 30-Apr-19 10:28:41

I wasn’t specifically talking about her demeanour after the attacks but in general. She appears nervous to me but that’s my view probably clouded by my New Zealand midwife friends who are not impressed.

Love love Ruth Davidson I wish to god she was English and we had her here. grin fabulous woman

SirChenjin Tue 30-Apr-19 09:01:26

Why on earth would Ardern look at ease during such a horrific time? If she'd looked at ease there would have been something very wrong with her. She did an amazing job of uniting the country at a hugely difficult time for everyone and then dealing swiftly with the aftermath by changing the gun laws. That requires huge confidence and she has that in spades.

I'm looking forward to RD coming back too - it's been too quiet without her. I'm not quite sure how she'll deal with or justify the disaster that is Brexit but I'm sure NS will hold her to account and likewise the challenge Indyref2 will be well fought by RD.

Caledonai14 Tue 30-Apr-19 08:37:16

Looking forward to some ding dongs later this week when Ruth Davidson returns to the Scottish parliament. Two confident female politicians, both very popular with their core voters, NS and RD will both continue (NS)/get on with (RD) the day job.

If they were on the same side, they'd be unstoppable...in the nicest possible way.

On the radio, a commentator said they both need Indyref2 as a popular battleground, but these two will deal with other pressing issues and one thing's for sure, we'll hear all about it. The Scottish press like them both.

Mycatisahacker Tue 30-Apr-19 08:06:05

No in my view as much as I think Arden spoke well and passionately about the horror inflicted on her country she looks neither confident or at ease.

Mind you my New Zealand friends tell me she’s not popular due to the swinging cuts to midwife services.

SirChenjin Tue 30-Apr-19 07:48:10

Merkel

SirChenjin Tue 30-Apr-19 07:47:01

I see your Markel and raise you an Ardern. An absolutely amazing woman whose actions speak louder than her dress, manner of walking or her hair do in my opinion.

Eloethan Tue 30-Apr-19 00:38:54

I understand why many Scottish people want independence, particularly now that it appears the majority in Scotland wish to remain in the EU. I see Scotland (and Wales) as being intrinsically part of Britain and I would be very sad to see them breaking away.

Having said that, I think Nicola Sturgeon is OK and a very able politician. She has never come across to me as being "aggressive" and I doubt if she would be described in such a way if she were a man.