Gransnet forums

News & politics

Got her just deserts?

(43 Posts)
MawBroonsback Wed 01-May-19 22:21:26

I see Fiona Onasanya has now been removed as MP for Peterborough, triggering a by election.
How stupid was she to have tried to wriggle out of her driving offence, lying under oath, and perverting the course of justice.
Why didn’t she put her hands up to the initial offence, take her points and or fine and she might still have been in a job.
BTW is it true that she still collected her H of C salary while she was inside?

maddyone Fri 03-May-19 19:11:38

You reap what you sew, or so the saying goes. In my opinion, in this case, the saying is right.

maryeliza54 Fri 03-May-19 19:17:16

maddy it’s more accurate to say that some reap what they sow but many don’t sadly.

Chewbacca Fri 03-May-19 19:17:33

I can't decide whether it was an act of rash stupidity or staggering arrogance.

maryeliza54 Fri 03-May-19 19:36:08

Such a disconnect with reality - maybe there’s a fine line between arrogance and stupidity eg BJ ( two sides of the same coin?)

maryeliza54 Fri 03-May-19 19:37:14

The Aitken and Archer cases raise the same questions only far far far more seriously

Grammaretto Fri 03-May-19 20:05:57

Gerald Navarro back in the 70s. Said his secretary was driving.
Nothing new under the sun.

He died soon after his court cases.

He was ridiculed by the Goodies and Monty Python .

MawBroonsback Fri 03-May-19 20:39:26

Nabarro grammaretto

Ohmother Fri 03-May-19 21:39:35

It was just like the plot on a soap where they don’t fess up to a simple wrong doing and the story line only blows up at Christmas or Easter. ?

maryeliza54 Fri 03-May-19 22:09:13

His ‘secretary’??.
GN - lets think what he had in common with others I mentioned.

NanKate Fri 03-May-19 22:25:40

My mother was summoned to me Prep school as I had hit Gerald Nabarro’s son because he was bullying me and my mum said I had to stand up for myself. I wasn’t expelled as I was about 7 and the school needed my school fees ?

maryeliza54 Fri 03-May-19 22:45:37

So he was bringing his son up as a chip off the old block then? He sounded a really horrible man.

Grammaretto Sat 04-May-19 14:23:06

Wow NanKate that's quite a claim to fame!
Well done. Did you get into any trouble after that - for bashing sons of nasty famous people?

dorcas1950 Sat 04-May-19 14:54:32

Sodapop ??

Charleygirl5 Sat 04-May-19 15:24:08

I read that while she was imprisoned she was paid her MP's salary- that should be repaid I think.

NanKate Sat 04-May-19 21:10:41

To answer your question Gramm I have grown up to be quite a placid person, however, when my DS was about 9 he was bullied by a nasty boy who lived nearby. I went and found the boy and said if he ever laid a finger on my son again I would come round personally and sort him out ?I added he could tell his mother about my threat but I meant it. He never touched my DS again.

Anniebach Sat 04-May-19 21:59:31

Christine Hamilton was Nabarro’s Secretary, explains much

Rosina Sun 05-May-19 09:37:26

Lord Hanningfield continued to visit the House of Lords after his trial and conviction. He was reported to be travelling to Westminster for about an hour a day - probably long enough to eat a subsidised lunch- before heading for home again to no doubt claim around £300 plus for his day of 'attendance. ' Quite what Fiona Onasanya was thinking about when she decided to take that particular course of action is unimaginable - who would risk lying about something so trivial, and cause such a spectacular fall from grace and loss of career? Arrogance or stupidity? 'Hard to tell.