Gransnet forums

News & politics

Liberal Democrats

(132 Posts)
dragonfly46 Fri 03-May-19 09:29:27

Why isn't anybody surprised they have done so well in the council elections?

Labaik Fri 03-May-19 13:03:48

Framilode; I did vote for Labour in the end because there were no LibDem/Green/ Change candidates here and the people standing assured me they were staunch remainers. I think people that voted Labour for that reason need to write to any winning candidate and tell them why they voted for them. I'm still being told by the media that my Labour vote at the last election was a pro Brexit one whereas it was to stop May having a huge majority and being able to push through any old unsavoury policy that she wanted.

Mycatisahacker Fri 03-May-19 13:44:28

yes we all know what happened in the 2017 election labour didn’t win grin

I think some Corbyn worshippers take defeat as victory.

Look labour did better then just like the Lib Dem’s are now because people are mightily pissed off with the government. No one wanted that election and the Tories were punished.

Jane10 Fri 03-May-19 14:04:01

It was good to see UKIP losing so many seats despite predictions of them making huge gains.
LibDem could make real progress in a GE especially if they could link with that other new party of independents.

MaizieD Fri 03-May-19 14:15:11

Let's not forget that the tories didn't win the 2017 GE either. They're only in government because the DUP support them.

Day6 Fri 03-May-19 14:16:13

The Lib Dem = Remain
The Brexit Party = Leave

These will be the two big beasts in the next GE!

I sincerely hope you are right Urmston.

The Lib Dems did well in our area. They are so active at local level, throughout the year, canvassing and replying to queries. At Christmas time they even pop little notes through the door thanking residents for Christmas lights in the garden which brighten the area and bring joy (maybe?) to the not so agile or housebound and neighbours generally. (We do have lots of pensioners in our area - we have joined their ranks!)

I let it be known to our Councillor that I voted for Brexit, and appreciated remaining in the EU was what Lib Dems were about, but mentioned how good they were in our ward regarding looking after the concerns of locals.

I will never vote Labour - it has lost its way with Corbyn ditching all his principles over the EU, (shame on him!) and hard left Momentum being in control - and the Conservative government's handling of Brexit - and May's duplicity in keeping us tied to Brussels - has finished off the Conservative party everywhere, for the time being I imagine.

Time for the Lib Dems to shine, but only because Labour and the Conservatives have messed up. They still do not inspire at a national level. You couldn't make it up.

Cherrytree59 Fri 03-May-19 14:30:06

There are reports that there has been an unprecedented amount of spoiled ballot papers.

kittylester Fri 03-May-19 14:59:07

Does anyone else think that this large vote for the libdems indicates that we definitely should gave a second referendum.

crystaltipps Fri 03-May-19 15:04:39

How can May claim that the voting indicates people want her to “get on with Brexit”- when the big gains have been for the Lib Dems and Greens?

Urmstongran Fri 03-May-19 15:10:53

Well unless the voting yesterday was all about bin collections (!) those who voted Leave had nowhere to put their vote really as Mrs May is useless (if you usually vote Tory) and Labour are just as split within the party so Labour Leave voters don’t trust Keir Starmer & JC.

Leave voters are keeping their powder dry whilst we await the Brexit Party.

Remainers feel they’ve done well with the Lib Dem’s & the Greens.

Wait till 23 May!
?

maryeliza54 Fri 03-May-19 15:11:10

Cherry I don’t know what happened last time re spoilt ballot papers but I’ve just looked at my council. Most wards had figures between 0-8 with two registering in the twenties/ thirties. One had 100 but the reason behind this must be that there was no Tory candidate as they forgot to put in a nomination ?. It will be interesting to see some proper analysis of the spoilt paper figures this time compared with the normal number

maryeliza54 Fri 03-May-19 15:12:42

LDs took control of our council btw

Cherrytree59 Fri 03-May-19 15:27:39

We have stayed same Husband and wife team.
Who live in the area and work hard for our area.
Happy with the result smile

Have not seen parish results but almost same amount of candidates as there are vacancies.

annodomini Fri 03-May-19 15:40:45

One year, at the count, I was involved in counting the spoilt papers some of which contained somewhat 'interesting opinions. One, which must have been a postal vote, had been folded into quarters, had been cut into lots of little crosses. Someone must have had time on their hands!

Mycatisahacker Fri 03-May-19 17:08:18

Lib Dem’s are good st local level though.

However we have been here so many times before and protest votes in local elections are not actual votes in GE.

Think Urmstrongran spot on

Framilode Fri 03-May-19 17:27:46

Kitty Lester Parliament seems unable to agree and as it is nearly 3years since the first vote I think we should have a second. We all know a lot more now. Of course I hope that remain would win but if the leavers are so sure that they are still in a majority what are they worried about? Maybe this time it should be a threshold of 55% to save argument.

kittylester Fri 03-May-19 17:33:57

I think we should have a second vote as we now know what the implications are. I feel that the strong vote for Libdems, as a remain party, shows that the result might be very different.

Marieeliz Fri 03-May-19 17:34:36

I voted Lib Dem. Not because I am a Remainer I am not, but because in the Local elections Labour always get in in my area and they ride roughshod over residents wishes. We are trying to water them down. I will not vote for them in a GE or European Election. Neighbours have done the same. The area as a whole are Labour no hope of changing that. Just a couple of Liberals and Greens got in this time but they never get appointed to any committees.

Urmstongran Fri 03-May-19 22:39:17

Lib Dem's up 3% from their 2011 nadir.

David Steel 1997
"Go back to your constituencies, and prepare for government!"

Vince Cable 2019
"Go back to your constituencies, put the cocoa on and and prepare for retirement!"

petra Fri 03-May-19 22:47:39

Basildon had just short of 800 spoilt ballot pappers.

maryeliza54 Fri 03-May-19 23:05:21

My guess would be that there is a direct relationship between number of spoilt papers and result of Referendum

GabriellaG54 Sat 04-May-19 00:42:33

Where I lived in Liverpool, we had the same Conservative MP for 37 consecutive years.

Grandma70s Sat 04-May-19 06:18:00

Not many Conservative MPs in LIverpool!

I voted Lib Dem. It was that or the Greens, and I couldn't find out anything about the Green candidate. I just wanted a Remain candidate. I may be older and northern, but I am a firm remainer, as are most of the people I know. Labour is still in control here, but in my area their majority is very much reduced.

I may vote Green in the European election.

Granny23 Sat 04-May-19 10:17:48

I am getting a bit annoyed at the Liberals for constantly claiming that the are the biggest (sometimes the only) remain Party when they are not. In terms of Membership and Number of MPs the SNP are far bigger even though they are not a UK wide party.

Mycatisahacker Sat 04-May-19 12:27:14

Ah but you must remember the only real country in Britain is England and the only real city in England is London. grin

That’s what Westminster thinks isn’t it! hmm

MaizieD Sat 04-May-19 12:40:00

That’s what Westminster thinks isn’t it!

I get the impression that that is what most Leavers think, too. hmm