Gransnet forums

News & politics

Liberal Democrats

(132 Posts)
dragonfly46 Fri 03-May-19 09:29:27

Why isn't anybody surprised they have done so well in the council elections?

SirChenjin Fri 17-May-19 16:05:04

They're getting our vote. First time DH and I have ever voted for them - the rest are an absolute shambles and I'll never put my cross next to the SNP, so the Lib Dems it is.

Mycatisahacker Fri 17-May-19 16:07:25

I have to say I find Vince cable quite sexy! He’s a bit of a silver fox wink

Nonnie Fri 17-May-19 16:10:30

Thanks varian I've done various permutations and found it interesting. You can add UKIP to Brexit but then LibDem, Change and Green, which come to less. However I keep being told by Leavers that the Cons are all really Remain and we know a lot of Labs are too so it looks like no one will be able to claim to have won if the poll is correct. They all will of course!

SirChenjin Fri 17-May-19 16:14:22

mycat shock grin

varian Fri 17-May-19 18:02:44

Here is a letter written to the Liberal Democrats by Julie Girling MEP, first elected as a Conservative MEP in 2009. In 2017 she was expelled from the Conservative Party for having pro-EU views (after 40 years of membership). She joined the Change UK group this year but has now urged all Remain-supporting voters in the SW to vote LibDem.

"On Wednesday before the TV cameras, I attended my first ever Lib Dem meeting in Bristol sitting beside your Leader, Sir Vice Cable. Please let me explain why I was there.

I am a passionate Remainer and not a member of your party. Indeed I have stood against you many times.

The last was when I was re-elected to the European Parliament as a Conservative. Then, I was saddened to see the narrow defeat of your long standing MEP Sir Graham Watson, a real loss.

Since that election I have left the Conservatives over the disaster of Brexit. Like many of you, I campaigned hard for Remain in the referrendum.. I have marched for the People's Vote.

So, after careful consideration I have gone public before the TV cameras and press that my decision to vote Lib Dem this time.

You have outstanding candidates, a strong organisation and your stunning success in the recent local elections secured my vote.

I am a former Conservative Leader of Cotswold District Council. To see that council go from blue to "gold" on local election night as Lib Dem Joe Harris became Britain's youngest Council leader is a measure of remarkable progress.

You are clearly the strongest Remain party in the South West and a real challenger here to the narrow, grim nationalism of the Brexit party.

Years of experience tells me that political momentum is key in any successful campaign‎ and you have it.

The latest polls show your support doubling as you overtake the Tories. I suspect you have already done that to Labour here.

This is your moment, our moment. We must stop Brexit. We can only do that with the strongest possible Lib Dem vote and the maximum number of Lib Dem MEPs being elected here. I am doing all I can to help you. The finish line is in sight. Please dig deep and help fund this final push‎

Let's win this race and stop Brexit!

Yours sincerely

Julie Girling
Member of the European Parliament for the South West of England and Gibraltar (2009-2019)

Julie Girling"

www.westernlibdems.org.uk/

varian Wed 22-May-19 16:19:44

It is interesting to see that in the recent local elections, the LibDem share of the vote increased in areas which had mainly voted Remain in 2016, but also in areas which had mostly voted Leave.