Gransnet forums

News & politics

Life on Earth

(65 Posts)
Telly Mon 06-May-19 19:04:12

'Human society is in jeopardy from the accelerating decline of the Earth’s natural life-support systems, the world’s leading scientists have warned, as they announced the results of the most thorough planetary health check ever undertaken.' Extract from an article in the Guardian today. Amazing how a threat the planet itself from a reputable source is not the news item that everyone is talking about. Can't say we were not warned.......

Mycatisahacker Mon 06-May-19 21:32:38

But a royal baby! wink obviously the planet isn’t as important

Mycatisahacker Mon 06-May-19 21:34:05

Maybe Emma can lead the way by cutting her carbon footprint

petra Mon 06-May-19 21:51:40

I don't think the majority of people realise how serious this is because to be honest it's beyond our comprehension that we could actually wipe ourselves out.
I saw a documentary some time ago and it was shocking how quick it can happen.
I only have to read some of the posts here on GN to see that the message is nowhere near getting home angry

Urmstongran Mon 06-May-19 22:01:57

I think we feel small, helpless and therefore hopeless.
Not using straws.
Stop buying plastic bottles of shower gel.
Eating less red meat.

All seems futile compared to the India & China emissions.

No wonder we turn away from it.
?

Mycatisahacker Mon 06-May-19 22:08:50

petra

That was a lighthearted response but of course we must take it seriously.

I have to say I felt nauseous seeing the politicians listening attentively to little miss pigtails and clearly only doing it for votes.

I think Urmstongran sums it up perfectly.

Mycatisahacker Mon 06-May-19 22:12:44

However I do wish these celebs would stop getting involved as their hypocrisy and idiocy becomes the story.

New technologies need to be found as we are not going to all go vegan, stop flying, stop driving and only have 1 child.

It’s just not going to happen.

petra Mon 06-May-19 22:31:05

Mycatsahacker
Tell these 'celebs' exactly what you think of their false sentiments anyway way you can. Facebook, instagram, twitter, anyway to get the message over.
I'm writing to all companies where there is needless plastic packaging and asking them to re-think an alternative.

Urmstongran Mon 06-May-19 22:34:03

Thank you Mycat

And this - below - illustrates perfectly what I mean. Our little (but well intentioned) attempts to help are ‘wiped out’ thus: (just now, in the Daily Mail)

“Sadiq Khan has been branded a hypocrite for campaigning on green issues

He has come under fire because his team have racked up 280,000 air miles

Mr Khan's team's globetrotting has produced 180 tons of carbon dioxide

Sadiq Khan has been branded a hypocrite for campaigning on green issues while he and his team have racked up enough air miles to reach the Moon since he became Mayor of London.”

No wonder us ‘little people’ become overwhelmed and dispirited. What’s the point in our minuscule efforts??

petra Mon 06-May-19 22:45:58

Urmstongran
We have this wonderful tool called the internet. Use it to let these people know what you think of them. After all, they employ people to read what the public are saying about them: well give them something to read grin

Urmstongran Mon 06-May-19 22:48:12

I get what you are saying petra
I just wish I had your conviction that they would give a damn.

Mycatisahacker Mon 06-May-19 22:59:54

Yes I get you too petra and good for you but I can’t not think they don’t care that much.

Namsnanny Mon 06-May-19 23:00:32

Prof. James Lovelock (Gaia) as early as the 70s warned of the problems, and had the courage to supply a perfectly good remedy. Did anyone care?

The Greens of the day dropped him like a hot potato because he supported nuclear as the ONLY alternative energy to get us to through until we devise/invent a better solution.

As soon as he was virtually silenced I gave up.

Urmston...….I agree wholeheartedly with everything you have said.

petra Tue 07-May-19 07:52:08

Urmstongran
I doubt if there are many high profile people who are immune to being called two faced lying hypocrites grin

Telly Tue 07-May-19 08:39:40

There's so much 'do as I say, rather than do as I do' with these celebs. However we are going past that now and the policy makers must take action. Our worries will seem ridiculous in a few years time, when we have something real to worry about. They predict that the current generation will feel the impact, not just some imagined future.

123coco Tue 07-May-19 10:28:49

Everyone who is knocking Emma Thompson,think on when you are tucking into your beef, driving your car and buying from China and having long haul holidays, buying out of season veg, If everyone went vegan tomorrow it still wouldn’t make any difference because the intensive-agro industry around the world must change , so people who live in glass houses etc ! However we vacant make a difference with our plastic use. SO if you want to knock Emma , look at your cling film!

123coco Tue 07-May-19 10:29:30

Should have said can’t , not vacant!

SillyNanny321 Tue 07-May-19 10:34:45

I feel very worried for my DGC. Will the planet still be able or even still here when they reach my age? Being very selfish I am thankful that I will not be here to see the mess we have made for them to deal with.
I have been laughed at for years for thinking of the damage we are doing to our planet. Maybe they will stop laughing now but probably not as they always told me I was mad to think the way I do. Alone we can do almost nothing but together we may have an effect. Can we all please forget Brexit, Royal babies etc & concentrate on saving our planet?

sarahcyn Tue 07-May-19 10:41:25

I so sympathise with those who feel that our little efforts, refilling our water bottles and walking to the shops etc, are useless. But they are not. Even though Greta Thunberg isn’t planning to go to China...
My younger daughter has just finished her dissertation for her BA in Philosophy and she chose to write about exactly this issue - what she calls the “motivational gap” - the fact that people know the environment is at risk but carry on destroying it.
My feeling is that actually our collective awareness is extremely important and everyone plays a much bigger part in it than they realise. All your actions have ripples. Your neatly sorted recycling sacks serve to remind your next door neighbour to sort theirs too. Your decision to hand back the plastic cutlery with your fast food makes the server, and the person in the queue behind you, think... and so on. Eventually your actions help the powers that be realise they must take the issue seriously or be voted out - and this should extend to dealings with China and Russia too. But also, in a failing world, you are responsible for your own actions because they define you in your own mind. Just because people in power are failing to save the planet does not mean you have to join them.

HannahLoisLuke Tue 07-May-19 10:41:51

I've heard a synthetic meat has been invented, for those who want it.
I'm a farmer's daughter but haven't eaten meat since the age of four, for all sorts of reasons.
Haven't flown anywhere for at least ten years. I do drive thirteen miles a day but not well enough to cycle or I'd do that instead.
I feel utterly depressed about how we've reached this point.
Was wondering where the swallows were this year until I read about them being trapped in mist nets all along North Africa, from Morocco to Egypt at the rate of 140 million a
year. Not just swallows, all migrating birds.
Those that escape get caught in Italy, Malta or France.
I'm sickened by what we humans have done to the earth.

Nanny41 Tue 07-May-19 10:47:39

Went to a neighbours party at the weekend they had wooden knives and forks, which was a briliant idea, knives were hopeless of course, but they had the right idea.When in the UK recently I couldnt resist buying paper straws ( not that we use straws) to check if they were the same type we used when we were little, moons ago, they cost the pricely sum of £1:50 for twenty four straws,I think things need to be reduced in price before we all start buying regularly, but people are getting the idea of saving our planet.

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 10:56:01

I think governments should just stop building more houses. We are losing too much countryside/habitat. Our council has it right though. High rise, good quality, tower blocks near the town centre, buses and railway stations. No parking included. None needed.

Gonegirl Tue 07-May-19 10:58:12

Also, I go along with the view put forward by Princess Anne a while back, that people should not be so ready to get divorced and then expect two residences instead of one.

Buntybunny21 Tue 07-May-19 11:02:46

What about all those water bottles made of plastic and milk ones too. It's not going to be easy as we have become used to this way. I remember only getting milk delivered in glass bottles, washed out and returned. Not so many milkmen now, another supermarket spoiler?

pigsmayfly. Tue 07-May-19 11:07:58

This is such an important issue and something we can all do for our grandchildren. Ok we can’t run China but we should do whatever we can. I’d like to learn a bit more about these issues to make sure I maximise what I can do to help. I appreciate that each of us can make only a tiny contribution which may seem futile but surely better than doing nothing?