Gransnet forums

News & politics

Confirmatory Vote

(208 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 13-May-19 08:59:13

If an agreement on a WA is reached, and it is a big if, Starmer has said that Labour intends to put the final decision to the U.K.

Given that the vote for leave left wide open the way we left, and also given the fact that since the vote it has become all too clear how complicated, potentially damaging and divisive this is, then it seems to me that in order to prevent our democracy from being damaged even further than a confirmatory vote is the only way forward.

I am a strong remainer, and my preference is to revoke, but I realise that in order to begin to reach out to those who voted leave across this huge divide then a confirmatory vote is one of the best ways to firstly confirm that we are leaving - essential now that we are all aware of the facts- , and most importantly HOW we leave.

varian Wed 22-May-19 17:22:43

Keir Starmer has expressed doubts that any cross-party Brexit deal lacking a confirmatory referendum could pass parliament, warning up to 150 Labour MPs would reject an agreement that did not include one.

The shadow Brexit secretary said he feared the party risked losing its remain voters after worse than expected losses in the local elections, but he warned Labour remainers tempted to vote for the Liberal Democrats or Change UK that only Jeremy Corbyn’s party could deliver a fresh referendum.

www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/12/keir-starmer-brexit-deal-unlikely-pass-without-confirmatory-referendum-interview

Lily65 Sun 19-May-19 17:54:03

One of those weird puppety things from that TV series. A synth.

Iam64 Sun 19-May-19 17:20:07

Well Lily, your head cant be totally mashed if you’re still able to wonder if NF is human. You don’t think he/it is one of those artificial intelligence beings being made in China (allegedly) do you ???

Lily65 Sun 19-May-19 11:59:30

Apologies Iam, head is well and truly mashed today. I'm not entirely sure if NF is human.

Iam64 Sun 19-May-19 11:41:12

Lily, I may be wrong but Framilode’s reference was to ‘her’. Last time I looked Nigel was male

Lily65 Sun 19-May-19 11:39:37

Confused now......NF is Mary Poppins?

Iam64 Sun 19-May-19 11:39:36

Framilode, if you’re referring to the perfect poster I think you are, please don’t compare her to Mary Poppins. MP can do humour, compassion and magic, things we all need ?

Framilode Sun 19-May-19 11:15:32

She reminds me of Mary Poppins, practically perfect in every way.

Nonnie Sun 19-May-19 10:33:41

"A clique on GN crow over silly stuff such as not getting the response they want or asking questions knowing full well that they are never going to agree despite pretending to be open-minded. They want people to hand over the bullets for them to fire back.* Absolutely untrue, I'm not part of any clique and find that accusation offensive but I'm not surprised. It is the sort of thing playground bullies say (or NF) when they have no answer.

I genuinely want to know why I should vote to leave but the 'clique' of leave voters won't tell me. Actually one has but she didn't convince me. The rest appear to have no reason so deserve some of the comments made about them.

As for NF, maybe the fact that he has been fined £35,000 for fiddling his expenses is a good reason to support him. Or perhaps the fact that he is paid to work for the EU but instead has been swanning around the US on someone else's money and staying in an expensive flat in London which someone else has paid for? There are those who think that 'getting away with it' is a good thing and admire those who do.

Bridgeit Sat 18-May-19 21:45:26

Perhaps Lily65, they are ashamed or embarrassed to admit they like his unpleasant views.

GabriellaG54 Sat 18-May-19 21:38:38

No, and I'm off here now.
Enjoy the peace.

Lily65 Sat 18-May-19 21:37:31

I would have some respect for anybody who would have the guts to tell us why they like NF,nobody will.

Bridgeit Sat 18-May-19 21:29:55

Are you ok GabriellaG54?

Lily65 Sat 18-May-19 21:28:12

Can you share with us which particular attributes of NF appeal to you

Absolutely no chance

jura2 Sat 18-May-19 21:27:48

oh my... ah well struuuuf

GabriellaG54 Sat 18-May-19 21:22:44

Well Bridgeit, I don't know any of you so the caring bit is very minimal.
I care about people in RL, not those I've never met and never spoken to.
I care about family and friends and the causes I support because I know those people.
Naturally, my caring extends to people who perhaps have an accident or haven't got enough train fare but IMV, if I care for me and mine then I'm not relying on anyone else to do it for me.
I care about myself because I have AC, GC and GGC and I want to be the mum they love.
My own opinions, views and morals make me the person I am which is why, in RL, I am well liked because I don't change my mind just to fit in with other views or be part of the crowd. Being honest without dressing it up is part of my character although I don't go out of my way to be rude.
I have never ever fallen out with anyone, nor the reverse.

A clique on GN crow over silly stuff such as not getting the response they want or asking questions knowing full well that they are never going to agree despite pretending to be open-minded. They want people to hand over the bullets for them to fire back.

As for the spelling scenario,
surely fewer than 50% have dyslexia RA or some other issue.
I have no such excuse as to why I get irritated by poor spelling.
According to certain people I don't shop in the right places, I'm a 'complacent Tory', 'smug Little Englander', have an 'I'm alright Jack' attitude.
It's a sad state of affairs when I can't have my own views, even if they clash horribly with yours, without some of the same people piling in...' 'Oh! Isn't she terrible, judgemental, uncaring, ignorant, racist, mad, rude, from the slums of Liverpool...oh yes and much more.
Your views (and those of many on GN) you're entitled to I agree, not that that makes them valid.
I'd heard that mumsnet was bitchy but I think that GN isn't far behind if that's true.

Just because you shout loudly and all at once, it doesn't mean that your thoughts are more important or take precedence.
You will carry on being you and I will carry on being me.
I have no axe to grind but you obviously have because I'm not malleable and don't conform to the ideals of the clique.
That's life.

My apologies to the OP for the rutted track down which this thread has lurched...because of 3 short words.
I did not walk the track alone. smile

jura2 Sat 18-May-19 19:55:03

The great Betty <3 :

www.facebook.com/PeoplesVoteUK/videos/2185506228230489/

Bridgeit Sat 18-May-19 18:03:18

We know all we need to know when we hear a person say or write ‘ your problem not mine’ as their stock reply to any differing opinion or outlook.
Sadly they cannot or do not see or care about anything other than their own opinion, perspective , & well-being.
Very narrow minded IMO

Grandad1943 Sat 18-May-19 17:47:10

Exactly Jabberwok.

Jabberwok Sat 18-May-19 17:40:03

about something that could well be a disability of some sort, ie:- Dyslexia, impaired sight, arthritic fingers hitting the wrong keys, or any other reason!

Jabberwok Sat 18-May-19 17:34:54

I think we are all aware of your name GG54! After all who else could it be as no one else on here is at best petty, and at worse thoroughly unkind?!

Grandad1943 Sat 18-May-19 17:31:25

GabriellaG54, why write even three words when all those words are designed to do is belittle someone who may have a disability?

GabriellaG54 Sat 18-May-19 17:22:45

'She', has a name and that name is GabriellaG54.

GabriellaG54 Sat 18-May-19 17:20:46

I wrote 1 x 3 word comment and 13 yes, thirteen angry retorts come winging back, each nothing to do with the original thread. If I'm rude, what does that make you?
Three words and I get more coverage than George Clooney.
Sad people.

Jabberwok Sat 18-May-19 16:56:55

It's not a very nice trait that's for sure Nonnie , belittling, and totally unnecessary. For once I agree with you Grandad!