Gransnet forums

News & politics

The Brexit Party

(611 Posts)
Firecracker123 Tue 14-May-19 15:08:33

A Party Political Broadcast on behalf of The Brexit Party is on BBC1
tonight 18.55pm.

varian Tue 16-Jul-19 19:54:14

Any attempt by the next prime minister to suspend Parliament to force through a no-deal Brexit is likely to end up in the Supreme Court, a Tory MP has said.

Sir Oliver Letwin told the BBC it was not clear whether MPs had the numbers to stop a no-deal Brexit themselves.

But if the government tried to get its way by by-passing Parliament, he said it would become a "legal question".

Campaigners say they will challenge any "prorogation" of Parliament to allow Brexit on 31 October without a deal.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-48988419

GracesGranMK3 Sun 14-Jul-19 12:14:10

The first didn't have an Mk1 because I didn't know at that time I would occasionally give up on GN. I should just leave it off for ease.

petra Sun 14-Jul-19 11:57:25

Urmstongran
I remember MK2 but not a MK1.

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 11:46:10

Oh god MK3 I should pay more attention. Apologies.

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 11:45:14

Sorry. Mark3 !

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 11:44:26

I can only speak for myself - I’ve never used those words myself GGMk2. (was there a Mark1?)
?

GracesGranMK3 Sun 14-Jul-19 11:36:12

Do you complain when the words Marxist and Communist are thrown around in the way that you commented on Grandad's post UG?

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 10:51:57

I try always to be polite. As my posts show.

Politics is a dirty enough business!

GracesGranMK3 Sun 14-Jul-19 10:43:00

Would that this were true UG. You may not but many do. Personally I am very concerned about any extreme. They put forward mindless, reckless fantasies which make the impossible and impracticable look like a way forward. The waft vague ideas and convince people believe the practicalities are already in place. So no extremists for me, thank you, but I also defend my right, your right and Grandad's right to decide who is and who isn't extreme. Breaking the law in order to make political gain seems to be one trademark of the extremist so it is a large part of what I base my judgment on - personally.

MaizieD Sun 14-Jul-19 10:29:33

Oh, we're well used to 'communist Corbyn' on here, Ug. It's been going on ever since he was elected leader of the LP.

I think you'll just have to get used to Fascist Farage. Used because he makes fascist statements (and uses techniques very similar to fascist propaganda techniques).

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 10:23:07

Why such strong language Grandad?

‘Fascist Farage’ indeed. Is that necessary do you think? I don’t say ‘Communist Corbyn’.

As Michelle Obama said ‘when they go down, we go up’.

MaizieD Sun 14-Jul-19 10:17:14

The only recent Com Res Poll I can find, taken early July, says that 1 in 3 Brexit Party voters would vote tory if BJ were to become PM.

Grandad1943 Sun 14-Jul-19 10:00:05

Fascist Farage can HOPE that Labour has "gifted him an opportunity." However, Labour has NOT changed its Brexit policy brought about by last year's Delegate Conference. That policy would be pointed out far more firmly in any General Election campaign.

MaizieD Sun 14-Jul-19 09:57:24

What happened to the verb 'to give'? sad

But that's by the by.

I shall have to investigate this poll further, it seems...

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 09:52:47

I posted them because it illustrates why Nigel Farage is delighted! He regards it as a ‘golden opportunity’ gifted to the Brexit Party by Labour.

MaizieD Sun 14-Jul-19 09:45:02

^Nitpicking poll results (who trusts ‘em anyway -

So why did you post them?

54 new voices! Yay!

I agree that the 'new voices' may make parliament more representative of the population but what exactly would these voices represent? They have no policies. Unless, of course, you count Farage's fascist proposal to purge the civil service and the military of all unbelievers as a policy.

Grandad1943 Sun 14-Jul-19 09:43:34

I fail to see how Fascist Farage will be able to appeal to the traditional Labour voters of the North of England in a General Election held under normal circumstances.

Farage has no time for the NHS, employee rights, Social Services and much more that working families of the north of England and elsewhere so much rely on.

However, if a General Election were forced on this shambles of a government due to Brexit remaining deadlocked in parliament, then Fascist Farage and his brown shirt supporters may get some support.

That stated, in any such General Election matters other than Brexit would come to the fore for debate, and in that Farage has no policies other than the above.

With Corbyn on his campaigning soapbox as in 2017 who knows how well the Labour Party may do.

However, I feel the Labour Party will not have Corbyn for much longer.

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 09:26:29

54 new voices! Yay!

Add that to Cooper, Grieve and Soubry deselected (amongst others) and the HoC will reflect the result of the referendum so much more robustly!

GracesGranMK3 Sun 14-Jul-19 09:21:55

If the most recent poll were extrapolated into seats the Brexit Party would gain 54 if it were to reach the requirements of a party. Labour would have the most seats but only as a minority government. However, that is just one day in July and a lot could change by the date of a general election.

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 08:57:05

The poll was conducted by The ComRes research for the Sunday Express MaizieD I don’t have a link, sorry.

Nitpicking poll results (who trusts ‘em anyway - they always have a bias) aside, NF seems jubilant.

He is quoted as saying “We are the only party committed to giving 17.4 million Leave voters what they voted for more than three years ago - a clean-break Brexit”

This is gonna be interesting!

And what I meant about Boris - I don’t think we will leave 31 October. He won’t go for No Deal it’s just a negotiating tool.

MaizieD Sun 14-Jul-19 08:40:59

Could you post a link to the source of your figures please, Ug?

Or tell us who was polled, and by whom?

If Johnson doesn't deliver

Can you clarify? What would indicate that he hasn't delivered? Going for another extension? Revoking A50?

Urmstongran Sun 14-Jul-19 08:32:01

Now that Jeremy Corbyn has declared Labour wants a new referendum and would back Remain in a GE Nigel Farage said the Labour move was 'golden opportunity' for the Brexit Party!

Northern heartlands that voted heavily for Brexit could now be vulnerable

In the North-east, 35 per cent said they were less likely to back Labour due to its call for a second referendum.

The figure was 36 per cent in the West Midlands, 38 per cent in the East Midlands, 40 per cent in the N.W. and 43% in Yorkshire & the Humber.

The only region where the new policy has improved Labour’s chances is London.

I think the Labour party has betrayed its voters and has no chance at the next GE. The Brexit party, on the other hand, is going from strength to strength.

They offer hope to millions of disillusioned voters who are tired of the lies and chaos.

British politics is changing and the Brexit party is the key player.

This will be interesting if Boris doesn’t deliver and calls a GE (which I think will happen).

jura2 Tue 02-Jul-19 10:56:11

sorry, I see another thread on the very subject has been opened- may be stick to that one on this.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Jul-19 10:47:38

Nothing to be proud of and everything to feel ashamed about.

What is happening to this country, it is being dragged down into the gutter

jura2 Tue 02-Jul-19 10:45:47

Brexit Party MEPs refuse to stand up for the European Anthem, then turn their back on the young people playing it beautifully at the Opening of session for the EU Parliament.

Shameful and disgusting behaviour - and we are all being judged by the EU and the world on their behaviour. They refuse to engage in the work of the commissions, and will agree to pick up salary and pensions- just as Farage has been doing for so long.

Truly shameful - and those who voted for them share the shame, for sure. Disgusting and shows them up for what they are.