Gransnet forums

News & politics

Brexit: Behind Closed Doors. BBC4

(30 Posts)
Sophiesox Wed 15-May-19 12:04:57

Just wondering if anyone saw this two part documentary last week, showing the EU side of the negotiations? Everyone knew they were being filmed and recorded, but were surprisingly candid!

Bridgeit Wed 15-May-19 19:31:14

Sadly there isn’t one!

Greta Wed 15-May-19 19:27:22

Agree, GrannyGravy, this state of limbo cannot continue, the country needs a competent government that can address the many issues we are all concerned about.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 15-May-19 19:22:58

Greta totally agree we have our own problems.

I hope that once this Brexit fiasco is over (and as a leave voter I really do not care how or if we leave anymore) that this or whatever Government is in power can actually get on with the job of governance.

Greta Wed 15-May-19 19:08:49

Yes, GrannyGravy, Sweden has accepted many refugees, more than their fair share, you could say. It is true that this has caused difficulties but allowing refugees fleeing war zones to enter Sweden is seen as a humanitarian act. The Nordic countries are implementing various integration schemes but, of course, these take time.

We must remember, though, that we have our own troubled areas, poverty and knife crimes spring to mind.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 15-May-19 18:47:18

Greta no it has been reported that these attacks are by migrants which in Germany has led to Merkel not being as popular at home.

I have a Swedish friend still with family over there and there are several towns with a large migrant population which are experiencing a variety of problems.

All above information is available via google etc.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 15-May-19 18:42:46

Newstatesman.com and several other non-European newspapers are stating this along with video footage.

I am a technophobe, it only took me approximately 10seconds to find this information.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-May-19 18:42:32

Thank you gg13

GrannyGravy13 Wed 15-May-19 18:38:03

Whitewavemark2 the attacks in France are all over the Internet and easily accessible as is the information re attacks in Germany and Sweden.

Firecracker123 Wed 15-May-19 18:34:00

Guy Verhofstadt makes my skin crawl.

Greta Wed 15-May-19 18:09:19

GrannyGravy13: How some cities in Germany and Sweden are no go areas for unaccompanied white women?

How does this relate to the EU? Are white women being attacked by EU-nationals?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-May-19 18:06:22

gg13 can you please supply evidence for these assertions.

If you are unable to do so I shall consider then to be false facts.

GrannyGravy13 Wed 15-May-19 17:52:07

Varian are you aware how the French Gendarmes under direct orders from Macron have been filmed attacking an old lady, or tipping a disabled man out of his wheelchair to name just a few of their despicable actions since the commencement of the “gillet jeunes” movement?

How some cities in Germany and Sweden are no go areas for unaccompanied white women?

These are just a few examples of Countries in crisis in your beloved EU.

lemongrove Wed 15-May-19 17:44:22

Keep hoping Varian if it makes you happy.

varian Wed 15-May-19 17:41:39

The way that the other 27 EU countries have united in the face of brexit is impressive. It is so obvious that we are stronger to together and the EU has become more popular in all other EU countries in the last three years, as it has also become more popular here.

Let's hope that our country can remain a powerful and influential member of the EU (although abject apologies will be required for the appalling waste of time and money caused to all by this brexit nonsense).

lemongrove Wed 15-May-19 17:36:12

We are all European as we are in Europe, I certainly don’t feel close to any of the EU negotiating side!
However, like in business ( because it is a business) they have acted purely in their own interests, just a shame our negotiating team didn’t act purely in our interest.
T May started off well but became hopeless as time went on,
We needed somebody else who’s heart was in it.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-May-19 17:32:08

labaik ??

Labaik Wed 15-May-19 17:29:43

As one person once said about the British; when they were in the EU they wanted lot's of opt outs and now they're leaving they want lots of opt ins....no wonder the EU negotiators are/were exasperated...

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-May-19 16:25:11

Watching that programme, I realised how European I actually feel. It made me so sad to think we may be turning our backs on what for me are our fellow citizens.

Happiyogi Wed 15-May-19 16:21:43

For me it highlights how little contact, information and news about Europe we have had. Most people have no idea of the lifestyles, heads of state or politics of our closest neighbours. All our focus has been on America. We ignore the people closest to us because we're in thrall to those across the pond.

yggdrasil Wed 15-May-19 16:12:31

I didn't see any contempt. It looked like they were bending over backwards to help us out of the mess the tories had gotten us in to. More in sorrow than anger

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-May-19 16:08:33

Neither does her party

Sophiesox Wed 15-May-19 16:04:26

Yes, I think it depends on your viewpoint really. They have absolutely no respect for Theresa May whatsoever.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-May-19 15:15:34

I thought that the British were squirmingly embarrassing.

No wonder the EU contingent laughed! The U.K. is enough to try the patience of a saint, it was just awful.

If anyone things that this level of competence by the British is acceptable, then they set a very low bar.

Sussexborn Wed 15-May-19 14:40:40

The contemptuous attitude of the eu negotiators said it all really. I suppose it will be seen differently depending on your viewpoint. Walking away seems more of a good option now.

eazybee Wed 15-May-19 14:29:58

Watched part 1, and it confirmed one of the reasons I voted to leave; the absolute contempt with which the EU, or these representatives at least, regard us.