Gransnet forums

News & politics

WTO rules - how many have spent time studying what it really means?

(99 Posts)
jura2 Wed 15-May-19 18:48:52

Just wondering what you think will happen if we go out with 'No Deal' on WTO rules.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-May-19 14:24:23

Oh sorry I seem to have missed a couple of pages. Ignore my last post

crystaltipps Sat 18-May-19 14:23:16

I’m not sure why some people bother to post when they’re not interested in giving answers or enter into any discussion that is not all about them.

Whitewavemark2 Sat 18-May-19 14:23:09

maize it hasn’t got force of law has it?

GracesGranMK3 Sat 18-May-19 14:19:10

Cool, carry on correcting my grammar if it suits you to spend time combing my posts. All good.(Sat 18-May-19 12:52:00)

I have no wish to GabriellaG54 and neither should you and yet you do. It's very rude and rather arrogant.

I'm not paid to give answers.
If one cannot find them on Google then one could/might conclude that they haven't been written.
I don't spend my time looking up facts and figures, cut n pasting online tracts or posting links to other people's articles or videos.

So saying that you knew all about WTO was simply not the truth and yet you are prepared to inflict these unknown outcomes on the rest of us without a thought?

jura2 Sat 18-May-19 13:04:13

But can't you see that it is nonsense to say

a) not interested in what it means, don't want to read info, don't want to listen to experts in the field, etc

and then

b) I know exactly what I am doing and I am fully aware of the consequences

Just does not make any sense. But yes, you are free to make no sense at all- as we are free to try and read, listen, learn, understand - and correct nonsense when we see it.

Because the stakes are enormous - for individuals, especially the most vulnerable, and for the country at large.

GabriellaG54 Sat 18-May-19 12:52:00

Cool, carry on correcting my grammar if it suits you to spend time combing my posts. All good.

I'm not paid to give answers.
If one cannot find them on Google then one could/might conclude that they haven't been written.
Whatever, the fact remains that I'm 100% for leaving whether or not a single word has been printed or uttered about life after Brexit.
I don't spend my time looking up facts and figures, cut n pasting online tracts or posting links to other people's articles or videos.

I'm all for out and millions are all for in.
No amount of reasoning is going to dissuade a remainer from their preference and vice versa and it's not something I would ever think of wasting my time on, besides which, if it's not done of the person's own accord then I'm not interested in bending their ear to my way of thinking.
Each to their own, however, I'm answerable to no-one as regards my views.
If certain people choose to act like vultures over carrion then they can but there are no pickings to be had from my carcass and that's a fact.

Nonnie Sat 18-May-19 12:43:20

Razzy are you aware that we trade with more than 70 additional companies because of EU deals with them? We will lose those agreements too.

Razzy Sat 18-May-19 12:28:26

Of course, legally there is a fallback. Will everything be stripped back overnight? Of course not. There will be a transition period where new ways of working will be signed. Many countries trade with the UK, companies want to sell us their stuff as we are one of the richer EU countries. Without our money going into EU Central, these companies in the EU will want new regs. If any of the other major contributors leaves I think the EU will end. Its a big gravy train. Nowadays with new technology we don’t need the same organisation. The EU needs to modernise.
As for aviation, most likely UK will continue to operate under ICAO rules, which is what EASA is based on. There is more to the world than the EU, we have been trading with these countries for years.

GabriellaG54 Sat 18-May-19 12:24:29

No. I did not misunderstand. I meant Worthington.

Nonnie Sat 18-May-19 12:05:40

G54 I think you misunderstood the reference -Widdicombe.

GracesGranMK3 Sat 18-May-19 11:45:12

I don't waste my time with the ins and outs of the WTO.
I know all about it but leave it to those who are paid to get us out, not Johnny-come-lately's who like to appear to know more than anyone in government and expound their theories ad infinitum on here. (Wed 15-May-19 23:41:35)

Just added a missing apostrophe to the above quote GabriellaG54. I know how much you believe in us correcting other people's grammar.

So, you know all about WTO. I don't; I am still researching. I would be grateful if you, or any other leaver, could help by answering these questions. They are beyond my knowledge.

1) How will you protect the UK business from dumping?
2) What will you do for those who lose their jobs because the businesses that employ them are undermined by WTO rules?
3) What will you do on the Northern Ireland border?
4) How will you protect exporters who will have massive increases in their costs?
5) How will you support businesses that suffer cash flow harm from the delays WTO rules will impose?
6) What measures will you take to ensure the NHS does not come to harm from WTO rules?
7) How will you ensure that the quality of government services is not undermined by WTO rules on government procurement that requires that cheapest products be used?
8) What steps will you take to protect the environment when WTO rules threaten it?
9) How will you stop the tax abuse that EU rules help beat and which WTO rules ignore?
10) How will you support businesses that face crises in the UK, as steel and parts of the railway industry have done, when WTO rules prevent that?

Thanks for any help given.

[Information gathered from Richard Murphy's Blog]

GabriellaG54 Sat 18-May-19 09:29:38

My mother's name was not Worthington. ??

crystaltipps Sat 18-May-19 07:56:22

Some of the Farage lovers on here who openly like to laugh at others, may like to consider that their unpleasant triumphalism can turn round to bite you. Still, a career in pantomime awaits.

jura2 Fri 17-May-19 19:37:38

Please don't be - it is a really informative article thanks.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-May-19 19:27:48

Sorry?

jura2 Fri 17-May-19 19:19:12

Of course, I am fully aware of that Ww2- this is a general comment/question to all leavers.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-May-19 18:52:04

Jura not me I’m a remainer. I think you’ve got the wrong person

jura2 Fri 17-May-19 18:47:41

But the article does not say when the WTO elections are- surely we don't want to be ruled by unelected bureaucrats in Geneva, do we? I mean, you want to take back control, no?

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-May-19 18:42:11

Information about WTO rules

www.euronews.com/2018/12/19/how-would-uk-eu-trade-be-affected-by-a-no-deal-brexit

varian Fri 17-May-19 18:05:48

O wad some Power the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!

(Robert Burns)

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-May-19 17:58:03

Views of other world wide countries

Kolkata Telegraph; “How could a modern, educated and open society have got it so wrong?”; Global Times China; “Brexit has become a farce”; Washington Post; “UK is suddenly looking like a banana republic” South Africa; 'UK not to be seen as a serious global player anymore'

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-May-19 17:24:09

The point is nonnie it doesn’t matter who is in government. We don’t have the expertise to negotiate.

Nonnie Fri 17-May-19 16:59:53

I wouldn't trust the Labour party either. I used to respect most MPs but now I don't.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-May-19 16:46:13

WTO means of course negotiating hundreds of trade deals. Given the total pigs ear and incompetence this government has displayed over the past couple of years in negotiating with the EU, and watching how the EU has run circles around us with their superior negotiators, I don’t give the Tories - supposedly the government of business - a cat in hells chance with the mighty USA, China, India, Australia
etc etc.

We do not have the expertise to carry these negotiations out.

Nonnie Fri 17-May-19 16:18:49

Urmston I totally agree with you that if Brexit doesn't happen you will just get on with your life. You will because it won't change. However it will be more difficult for many if we do leave. Some will lose their jobs, some won't be able to afford the things they currently can. Some will find travel more difficult and more expensive. It is likely the £ will fall further thus making many things more expensive for people who can't afford it. I will be OK but many of the next generation and the ones below won't be.