Gransnet forums

News & politics

WTO rules - how many have spent time studying what it really means?

(98 Posts)
jura2 Wed 15-May-19 18:48:52

Just wondering what you think will happen if we go out with 'No Deal' on WTO rules.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 15-May-19 18:50:56

I looked at it before the referendum, but I have forgotten the detail. I just remember being horrified.

Dinahmo Wed 15-May-19 19:35:33

WWM2 - you're right. it is horrifying. I've had a quick look and my findings in about 10 minutes are as follows:

WTO rules and regs on product safety are very limited or not universaly recognised. Does anyone remember a few years back the toys from China, the import of which were banned because they were dangerous?

Medicines, product and food safety standards in the UK are recognised as EU ones but when/if we leave UK manufacturers may need conformity assessments from the EU which would be the responsibility of an EU importer. Therefore UK exports would take longer to reach the EU markets and would be more expensive.

We will not be able to have a frictionless border.

It has been suggested that we scrap all tarrifs for EU imports and exports. If we did this we would have to extend this to products from all other WTO members.

Apparently there is a standard rate of tarrifs and those for cars and their parts is 10.5%. The finished cars are exported but many of the parts are imported so cost will go up.

I've just had my call to dinner so that's it for now.

Services are barely covered by the WTO rules. This includes financial services and transportation. This means that there would be no deal on air transport and airlines would have to relocate their HQs to the EU, as required by EU rules. So an end to cheap flights.

It would not be quick or easy to negotiate WTO rules with 164 countries. Apparently trade deals can take several years and we don't have the skilled negotiators. I remember seeing a trade lawyer on one of the political programmes and she said that a trade deal with Canada (I think) took about 7 years. I can always look it up if anybody really needs to know.

GabriellaG54 Wed 15-May-19 23:41:35

I don't waste my time with the ins and outs of the WTO.
I know all about it but leave it to those who are paid to get us out, not Johnny-come-latelys who like to appear to know more than anyone in government and expound their theories ad infinitum on here.
We'll live, whatever the outcome. Life is much more than table-tennis with words.

crystaltipps Thu 16-May-19 06:02:25

Why waste time with details when you can put your faith in snake oil salesmen like the Farage Give Me Your Money Party ( oops not a party, a limited company, so he can pocket all the cash from the faithful without any of that scrutiny that real parties have).

MaizieD Thu 16-May-19 08:52:12

It is definitely a registered political party, crystaltipps. It just has no membership, no constitution and no policies...

MaizieD Thu 16-May-19 08:59:58

Life is much more than table-tennis with words.

You really have to be one of the most pointless posters I've ever known on this forum, GG54. Word table- tennis is what forums like this one are about. grin

MawBroonsback Thu 16-May-19 09:19:46

I don't waste my time with the ins and outs of the WTO.
I know all about it
Well that’s OK then GabbyG
Perhaps you could lend your expertise to the “powers that be” as it seems a more complex issue than anyone led the general public to believe. ??

jura2 Thu 16-May-19 09:31:44

GG54- I am so impressed that you are such an expert in WTO, and yet feel you don't have to waste time on 'ins and outs' - a contradiction if ever there was one.

I am dumbfunded that people say 'unelected bureaucrats in Brussels' (and we all know that MEPs are elected- as the same people are currently bitterly complaining that we are supposed to elect them !?!) - say we need to get back control, and yet are prepared to throw our destiny into the hands of bureaucrats in Geneva who wouldn't know the name 'elected' if they saw it.

Our WTO agreements are totally linked to being part of the EU- we have NO right to trade under WTO on our own - to do so will require the approval of 164 countries- and they will be able to set quotas and tariffs as they see fit. Getting back control - really ?!?

GabriellaG54 Fri 17-May-19 07:59:52

MawBroonsback ?

MawBroonsback Fri 17-May-19 08:00:24

???

MawBroonsback Fri 17-May-19 08:03:49

Oops I meant ????

Mycatisahacker Fri 17-May-19 08:08:52

you really have to be one of the most pointless posters here

That’s really mean you know!

Surely debate is better than that.

MaizieD Fri 17-May-19 08:53:18

Not mean at all, mycat. If she doesn't intend to debate what is she doing on here?

Mycatisahacker Fri 17-May-19 09:19:58

Yes I get that but still!

Urmstongran Fri 17-May-19 09:29:14

I only have a limited idea of what it would involve but I trust our elected government to keep us safe and look after our interests. I don’t think say (now we are all more health & safety conscious these days) that cheap shoddy goods from China would just get waved through.

And as regards airlines etc I’m convinced negotiators will sort something out that benefits both sides.

I suppose I could buckle down and read up on it but I don’t want to.

Mycatisahacker Fri 17-May-19 09:31:57

urmstongran

Yes I tend to agree with you.

lemongrove Fri 17-May-19 09:39:10

I agree with you as well Urmston and in any case, since that scenario is unlikely to happen (WTO rules) since Parliament will not go with ‘no deal’ why waste time trawling through the ins and outs of it all.
In the event that it does happen or is going to happen, that would be the time to read about it, although we could do sod all to change anything anyway.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 17-May-19 09:56:12

If there is a new PM, and they once again fail to confirm the leadership with a GE, then there will be a new parliamentary session. The new leader can go for no deal. It might get through.

varian Fri 17-May-19 10:07:04

"I only have a limited idea of what it would involve but I trust our elected government to keep us safe and look after our interests."

I am sorry to say I no longer trust our elected government, our any other government elected in the near future, to keep us safe and look after our interests.

Any government intent on "delivering brexit", let alone one enabling a disastrous "no-deal brexit" would be acting against our nation's best interests, willfully damaging our economy and endangering our security. Treason indeed.

Urmstongran Fri 17-May-19 10:07:32

I think it will. Not only is it the legal default position but the EU election is demonstrating to the HoC that it’s popular.

Who was it again from the EU who said that the UK should use the time of the extension wisely (was it Tusk?)? I don’t think he had a Tory leadership contest in mind…

Mycatisahacker Fri 17-May-19 10:10:58

I can see no deal with a GE and a new Tory Brexit leader.

A hell of s lot of MPs who are pro remain will loose their jobs I think.

Mycatisahacker Fri 17-May-19 10:12:06

What really is going on in TMs Brain. Why on God’s earth bring meaningful vote 4 again!!!

Framilode Fri 17-May-19 11:40:23

Do you think there is a possibility that it might just pass this time knowing that a new Tory leader will probably go for no deal?

MaizieD Fri 17-May-19 11:53:19

Parliament voted against no deal in April. Do you think a new PM would defy the will of Parliament?