Gransnet forums

News & politics

Project Fear

(64 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 08:15:43

These are some of the companies who are falsely reporting issues with Brexit and who are moving entirely or partially.

How very dare they spread Project Fear! We always knew it would never be true. In fact this very post is Project Fear!!?

Barclays
Dyson
HondHSBC
Lloyd’s of London
Money gram
P&
Toyota
Jaguar
Airbus
Avila
American Bank of Merrill Lynch
Credit Suisse
Ford
Goldman Sachs
JP Morgan Chase
Michelin
Nissan
Panasonic
Philips
Rolls Royce
Schaeffler
Sony
Toyota
UBS
Unilever

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 13:22:17

Not one of you is able to provide concrete evidence of your argument.

However here are some reports providing evidence of the result of the threat of Brexit which we must remember has not yet happened.

“From CNN
Banks and other financial services have so far moved £800 bn. to Europe.
The amount represents so far 10% of the total assets in the U.K. The numbers only represent what has already been announced, there are firm plans afoot for more movement in the event of a no deal.

It is considered that the fallout from a no deal scenario will be worse than the 2008 banking crash and financial institutions are keen to avoid what to them would be an absolute nightmare.
The U.K. economy has already suffered from the Brexit effect. Inflation spiked and consumer confidence has dropped.
Business investment has fallen drastically, and large manufacturing industries are warning that they will be forced to quit the U.K.

Lots more where that came from.

lemongrove Thu 16-May-19 13:26:14

For one thing, you need to wait and see which companies actually do set up shop in another country as opposed to saying they may do, and for another it has been widely reported that fear of a Corbyn government will lead to some doing so.
Because everything to do with Brexit is in flux, businesses are planning for every possible eventuality ......what we need is some stability so the sooner things are sorted out the better.

varian Thu 16-May-19 13:31:47

We were far more stable before the fraudulent referendum and the best and only way to regain stability and salvage our economy is to stop brexit.

gillybob Thu 16-May-19 13:34:50

One of our major customers has already set up a full production line in Europe ready for the Brexit fallout. My DH was asked to be involved but he is a very moral man and said he would not assist in what will eventually be the loss of hundreds of jobs in the UK as they gradually cease production here. Imagine helping to dismantle a machine in full view of those currently running it? Horrible.

varian Thu 16-May-19 13:39:18

Your DH is indeed an honourable man * gilly*

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 13:39:38

The list is of companies that HAVE ALREADY moved their assets. These will never come back.

I think that we can therefore be confident that the advise being given that there will be more leaving the U.K. post Brexit is a high risk, however, there is no evidence that companies have left because of the Corbyn factor, therefore the risk that this is likely to happen is very low.

Grandad1943 Thu 16-May-19 13:49:53

GrannyGravy13 Quote [Grandad can you honestly say that a qualified person in your business would be happy to earn the same as an apprentice?] End Quote.

Saleries in our Buisness are based on the qualifications that any member of staff holds. Any young person joining us under training has to hold A level or higher educational qualifications and therefore will have a starting salary well above minimum wage on beginning employment with us.

In many companies should legislation dictate that any young person has to be paid at least minimum or living wage then it would be that experienced and highly trained employees earn well above those rates already and therefore it should be no problem.

The real problem comes with many reasonable employers would be when competitor businesses use Gig Economy employment terms, which can make those good employers uncompetitive and they are forced to use similar conditions of employment in their business.

The above is known as "the race to the bottom."

gillybob Thu 16-May-19 13:59:58

In many companies should legislation dictate that any young person has to be paid at least minimum or living wage then it would be that experienced and highly trained employees earn well above those rates already and therefore it should be no problem

I'm afraid I cannot agree with you there Grandad1943. We only employ skilled people therefore no-one on minimum wage, however....

Example :Person has worked for us for 10 years or more. He knows the business and what is required of him inside out. He is paid say for arguments sake £15 per hour. If a young person comes into the company knowing nothing whatsoever and has no work experience but I have to pay him say £9 per hour then I have effectively devalued my 10 years experience mans wage and he will expect (and deserve) more money, which will mean more NI and more pension which we absolutely could not afford without putting our prices up significantly which the NE marketplace will not tolerate.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 14:05:23

My problem is that I have real difficulty in accepting that paying anyone less than a salary which enables them a basic standard of living is acceptable, and which if they cannot manage they have to seek state benefit of one sort or another.

In my opinion, we are effectively subsidising businesses to the tune of millions and millions a year because they don’t pay their staff sufficient to live on.

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-May-19 14:08:53

gillybob I think it's "the ripple effect" the scenario you describe is never ending and factual.

gillybob Thu 16-May-19 14:22:51

That is not true at all Whitewave. I know my business. I know how much we can charge per hour for our services. Our work is all business to business so we do not make and sell to the public. The government can raise wages to any amount they choose but how could we pay them? Seriously? Our prices are already cut to the bone by our customers (the large manufacturers) and our costs are going up at an alarming rate as are pensions, rents, rates, NI, insurances.... the list is endless. there will come a point where businesses like our will not be worth running at all and we will all just give up (I know plenty others like ours).

We could make minimum wage £20 per hour but then everything (and I mean everything) will have to rise accordingly. The cost of travel, food.....everything.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 14:28:44

So is it morally right to employ a person who works to further your companies aims and profit but knowingly not paying that person sufficient to feed their family or live in a safe warm environment?
Or pay them insufficient to live knowing that the tax payer will pick up the tab through benefits, housing subsidies or even food banks?

Grandad1943 Thu 16-May-19 14:35:03

gillybob, let's face it in many industries young people have been used as "very cheap labour" for many years. One example would be Coffee chains which state that their young employees are "Apprentices." However, all these people learn is how to make and serve coffee and other sundries while on pitiful hourly rates based often on zero hour contracts. In my opinion, the foregoing has to be stopped, and if legislation is required to bring that about, so be it

However, in other industries and professions employees are paid based on the qualifications they hold at any point in time. With that, the further training they are prepared to undertake in furthering their career the greater the asset they become to the business, and the higher the salary they will achieve

By example, many of our employees have their salaries based on the Insitute of Occupational Safety and Health (IOSH) qualifications they hold. The further up that rating they achieve, the greater an asset to the company they are and higher their salary becomes.

Therefore, if a trainee were to join us on basic living wage, then those more qualified are already paid well above that due to their qualifications, and in that, the work we can give them.

No problem.

Mycatisahacker Thu 16-May-19 15:12:30

I have to say though regarding Corbyn I
Find him odious but this Tory government hasn’t been any friend to small business or to those self employed contractors caught by the ludicrous IR35 so you are treated as employed but with none of the perks!

I think it’s the uncertainty surroundinh Brexit that’s the problem. Business will cope with in or out that’s what businesses do they adapt.

It’s the uncertainty that’s difficult

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 16:12:40

So May’s WA is dead. There is no way it can get voted through now.

What on earth will happen now?

Nonnie Thu 16-May-19 17:05:54

£ has plummeted again!

Nonnie Thu 16-May-19 17:09:03

Struggling to see why taking the time to check out facts and put links to said facts can be seen as wrong. May we please have some facts to prove that leaving the EU is positive? If you have no basis to challenge facts it must mean they are correct and should be taken note of.

Btw White you have missed out Land Rover although it is the same company as Jaguar.

JenniferEccles Thu 16-May-19 17:38:26

Gillybob I think you should send your recent posts to the dreaded Corbyn.

You have explained so well just how this proposed £10 per hour for 16 year olds just wouldn't work.

Surely even he could not argue with your logic (and experience).

His proposal is so blatantly an attempt to woo young voters who don't have the experience to question how it would work and who would pay for it.

Nonnie Thu 16-May-19 17:41:12

JE I think he had to backtrack on the free university places and this is his replacement bribe. The outcome, imo, would mean less young people in work, especially the 16 -18s because they are usually the less able.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 16-May-19 17:43:33

non I’ve missed out quite a few. More fuel for the fire at a later date??

GrannyGravy13 Thu 16-May-19 17:43:47

Nonnie I totally agree with your post of 17.41 ??

gillybob Thu 16-May-19 17:53:39

I agree that at this moment in time there is no “friend to small businesses” in any political party mycats but I stick by my feelings that a labour government under JC & Co would be a disaster and the final nail in the coffin for many SME’s already struggling.

You are absolutely right Nonnie who in their right mind would employ a young kid without any experience of work, knowing that you had to pay them £10 per hour plus employers NI plus the mandatory pension etc ? Not me that’s for sure . He will have to back track on this ( like his bribe of free university places ) or see mass unemployment of the young .

Elegran Thu 16-May-19 18:44:48

Grandad "Many young people are having a difficult time at present with not being able to get on the property ladder etc. " Do many 16-year-olds even want a toe on the property ladder? That seems very young to have such a mature attitude to their living quarters.

Elegran Thu 16-May-19 18:46:36

Whitewave " knowingly not paying that person sufficient to feed their family or live in a safe warm environment?" What size of family is a sixteen-year-old feeding?

GabriellaG54 Thu 16-May-19 20:12:18

Grandad1943
With respect...
I have no wish to know what time you finish work or what problems 'your company' is sorting out.
My post was to all who thrust their views down the throats of those who laugh at, ridicule and bait leavers.
If the cap fits, wear it. If not, don't.