Gransnet forums

News & politics

Just when we thought it couldn't get any worse...

(63 Posts)
GrandmaKT Mon 20-May-19 20:02:18

I am getting increasingly alarmed by the escalating trade war between the USA and China.
If we leave the EU, we will very soon be in the position of wanting to strike trade deals with both of these super nations (and their various satellites). I can see us being dictated to by Trump as to who we can and cannot deal with.
It seems to me that this is not a good time to be setting up shop on our own. Strength being in numbers I would feel much more secure remaining in the EU. I'd be interested in hearing any theories that indicate we would be in a stronger trading position by leaving.

Grandad1943 Thu 23-May-19 07:02:23

Whoooo rosecarmel, I always dreamed of a Nun smacking my knuckles and much else when I was younger. ?

rosecarmel Thu 23-May-19 02:23:48

Nuttin bettah tuh do .. smile

I hadda nun smack my knuckles -- once ..

Grandad1943 Wed 22-May-19 23:09:47

Oh, I see the the spelling and grammar police have once again returned to the forum.

Well sea sum of us neber got much off a edumcation sea ass we only went two coouncle estate schools but we ain't don so bAd

Pathetic GabriellaG54 in every sense.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 22:35:06

In that?
I doubt Grandad1943 knows the proper use of 'In that' as it's sprinkled like confetti throughout his diatribes.

jura2 Wed 22-May-19 22:22:04

Excellent post Grandad.

'However, on our own as a single nation, or isolated as a single company, all should think on that.'

and Jeremy Corbyn should be the first one here to do so.

Shizam Wed 22-May-19 22:12:17

Trumpity Trump is forever. He will win next admin and then over see the one after that. Then the awful Trump children. It’s forever! Vote tomorrow to stick with EU. It is flawed, but we are better sticking together against this mad world. And don’t get me started on Putin. Or China.

rosecarmel Wed 22-May-19 00:11:46

Onestepbeyond, I've no evidence to support my opinion, only considerations which anyone, if interested, can research and draw their own conclusions, too-

The US government owns corporations -- some temporarily-

The number of business people in political positions continues to increase, influencing policy outcomes, which can tend to benefit specific citizens/sectors/groups, opposed to the country as a whole-

The indifference to nepotism, cronyism, in every level of government, from federal to local, including associated businesses-

The government is responsible for expanding corporate rights, allowing corporations to spend money on political initiatives, to protect political and business interests -- whereas paying customers/tax payers/citizens have to fight through endless streams of virtual person menus via phone, sometimes for weeks, sometimes months, to be awarded with the money taken from us by corporations, due to their mistake, mistakes that the government doesn't protect us from, because they are "banking" on us giving up, because it's completely legal for corporations to make it increasingly difficult for customers/tax payers/citizens to reach resolution, because they both profit from it, eventually ..

Both business and government are essential and necessary, but the level in which both are intertwined has proven to be, in itself, not favorable for most citizens -- because .. government is being run more like a business ..

JacquiG Tue 21-May-19 23:38:52

Suggest we invest in what my sister calls 'tangibles'. Basic things like quilts, bed linen, tools, phone etc and anything which needs repair, so if we Brexit and it all goes pearshaped, at least you will be warm and comfy.

Urmstongran Tue 21-May-19 22:22:42

Irishlady ??

Onestepbeyond Tue 21-May-19 21:22:02

@rosecarmel
wow - ok
Can you show us some evidence -

Jaycee5 Tue 21-May-19 18:30:47

rosecarmel I agree about Chinese tat. It is one reason that I rarely buy anything from Amazon now. Anything that isn't a recognised name is likely to come from China. There was a time when the country of origin of a product used to be part of its description.

rosecarmel Tue 21-May-19 18:29:38

I think the US (currently) operates more like a corporation and its subsidiary than it does a republic -

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-May-19 17:52:33

day6
95% of economists DO agree and that is probably an understatement.

Brexit Party and Democracy are NOT natural bedfellows. It isn’t a political party it is a company. So democracy cannot sit well with it.

Day6 Tue 21-May-19 16:57:45

They do not know about what to do that is best for Britain

Ha. That made me laugh!

The same applies to the Labour and Conservative Parties then, given they are both split over the EU.

Tell me - WHO does know what is best for Britain, when even economists cannot agree and the governor of the Bank of England, Mark Carney, has made many, many financial predictions since 2016, and they have all been WRONG!?

We have Remainer and Leave MPs. Which group is right, which is wrong? They'll have reasons for their answers.

The Brexit Party is standing up for an ideal - for democracy and for something our MPs said they'd do - respect and honour the result of the referendum.

The protest is what it's all about, and quite frankly, the Brexit Party cannot be any worse than the clowns at war in Westminster who are supposedly taking us down the right path.

You do know we are not having a GE, don't you? The Brexit Party is fighting the EU elections right now - on one issue - to hopefully be a voice in Brussels and Strasbourg for the millions of people who have no faith in the EU or our part within it.

I believe a vote for The Brexit Party is a vote for democracy, and eventually, a long overdue vote for political change in Westminster.

Tillybelle Tue 21-May-19 16:40:24

Grandad1943. Thank you. Excellent and helpful. Demonstrates the vulnerability we expose ourselves to by leaving.

I am sure Huawei make superb phones. I cannot feel secure about their 5G system being implemented in Britain. Indeed I am not even happy about Smart Metres and the close proximity in which we live to microwaves.

I agree with Book. This is A very good topic and thread. Extremely relevant and something I would like to hear people talk about. I really appreciate it when people take the trouble to explain things so that I learn a lot. rosecarmel has opened my mind greatly and I thank her among many others.

I am terrified about the future. Horrified for my grandchildren.

I can't see what the future will hold with China owning the US debt, Trump tweeting "if Iran wants to fight, that will be the official end of Iran”.

We in the UK have an issue of smaller proportions in that we are collaborating with China and France to build Hinkley C. A nuclear power plant that should never have been agreed in the first place and keeps doubling the cost and increasing the length of time before it will be finished.
China is increasing its investment in nuclear power and in the Guardian last July: "If China General Nuclear Power (GNP) – the main player in China’s nuclear industry – buys a 49% stake in the UK’s existing nuclear plants, as it was recently reported to be considering, that would mark a significant expansion of China’s role in the UK nuclear sector."

Regarding Mr N Farage and what he thinks of us go to:

twitter.com/OwenSmith_MP/status/1129145927804047360

Basically it shows you Farage saying say he would feel more “comfortable” about a system where "we are going to have to move to an insurance-based system of healthcare."
Farage is a very dangerous man with pernicious far-right beliefs. Under his beliefs, it won't be long before they would bring back something like the old Work-Houses.

The Brexit Party are not fit to call themselves a Political Party. They have no policies or knowledge of issues on which MEPs have to make crucial decisions. They do not know about what to do that is best for Britain. They only have one issue and are so ignorant that they do not see that the job involves taking care of us in every aspect while they are in the EU. They simply do not have the expertise to maintain the best for Britain in all issues.

Irishlady Tue 21-May-19 16:15:24

On the subject of our food being protected by staying in the EU. I remember the horse meat scandal from a few years ago. I think I'm correct in saying that it was an east european country that was responsible for that

counterpoint Tue 21-May-19 15:44:18

Sorry, 500 million peope!

counterpoint Tue 21-May-19 15:36:54

@Day6 you're making misleading claims again! It's natural that rapid growth in Asia would outstrip the mature economies of the EU. If you look at GDP per head, which is far more important than raw GDP, the UK has been pretty stagnant for the last fifteen years too. Both the EU and the UK adopted foolish austerity policies, contrary to the view of nearly every respectable economist. That is something else than propping up the Euro.

The EU doesn't need our markets as much as it needs the integrity of the EU. If the two are in conflict, integrity will win out. And that is the view of EU businesses, not just governments.

If we want to engage in trade with the rest of the world, the EU is a positive advantage. We have, via the EU, trade deals with pretty near every country where a deal is feasible. The obvious exceptions are China and the USA, but in both cases it is highly unlikely that the UK on its own can strike a better deal than the EU. The Japanese have already told us that they expect to give us a worse deal than their agreement with the EU. How would it be otherwise, when the EU is a market of 500 people?

dayvidg Tue 21-May-19 15:33:58

I thought the 'v decisive Referendum in the ‘70’s' was to be a member of a free trade area, not to become subjects in a European project. Also, the safety of food provided by EU regulation; horsemeat anyone?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 21-May-19 15:30:54

There is no doubt that the euro, as with other economies has seen a downturn over the past couple of years. However, it is expected that the worst has past now and it will be performing better by the year end.

This is perfectly normal for a modern economy

123coco Tue 21-May-19 15:16:15

Grandad1943. FANTASTIC. WELL SAID. I think the people who want to leave should really be sent to another part of the Country together. We had a v decisive Referendum in the ‘70’s. Leave it at that! Plus Nigel Farage IS FOr PRIVATE HEALTHCARE ready to help his friend Don to rape the NHS. Despite what one poster posted on here. And Trump doesn’t have to be here for ever but his legacy will probably outlive us all on here. All this so some people can have their blue passports! Fgs!!

sarahellenwhitney Tue 21-May-19 14:26:54

123Coco
I stand corrected .'won't be damaged by leaving'

sarahellenwhitney Tue 21-May-19 14:21:15

123Coco
Quote 'anyone who thinks we won't be in trouble by leaving'.
Ask that of the twenty five thousand British Steel workers who today learn they have lost their jobs, alleged! to Brexit will we wont we. Got to blame Brexit
This is not their first loss .Take a look back to when Tony Blair himself commented in 1997 on job losses at BS who he claimed had been in trouble since 1980.

rosecarmel Tue 21-May-19 14:16:59

Consider it this way, too- All those barges transferring garbage from one country to be disposed of in another -

Day6 Tue 21-May-19 14:09:51

The EU is a relatively strong bloc.

No it's not!

Remainers are refusing to see the truth!