Gransnet forums

News & politics

DWP review into the death of six-stone Stephen Smith will be held in secret

(53 Posts)
GracesGranMK3 Tue 21-May-19 11:29:40

Please could all those of you who believe free, unregulated markets and low taxation for the wealthy and large companies are the answer to everything explain why this is happening in this country and why the review is being held in secret.

welfareweekly.com/dwp-review-into-death-of-six-stone-stephen-smith-will-be-held-in-secret/?fbclid=IwAR1hwAddCFjq0GzLMtJWHFKMgubmUVpKU6c8FHlo-zQQBBtzOLXbyzTkUi8

GillT57 Wed 22-May-19 15:50:18

gonegirl. I don't understand your last comment to me? I was welcoming and agreeing with what I thought was a new member.

Gonegirl Wed 22-May-19 15:10:00

hugshelp like your post!

Gonegirl Wed 22-May-19 15:08:06

Didn't take much to read between the lines Gill57

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 14:33:55

It's good to read of another poster, namely hugshelp, who is sick of this government's wasteful ways. Garden bridges and duck houses however, have much less of an impact on our finances than the NHS computer fiasco costing 10.1 bn, only to be abandoned and HS2 costing billions to shave 20 minutes off a train journey, when the trains built to run on those lines will be obsolete by the time it's finished.
It will be good to get some fresh input on these threads. smile

mcem Wed 22-May-19 13:41:30

HH well put and welcome to GN . Welcome also to posts which heartily endorse the philosophy of utter, unashamed selfishness.

There are GN posters who have opened my eyes to attitudes I have not encountered in RL.
Greed, delusions of grandeur, self-righteous calls for us to return to the days of deserving and undeserving poor.

Fortunately, such posters are vastly outnumbered by the decent members.

I look forward to further contributions from you!

GillT57 Wed 22-May-19 12:59:29

hugshelp. If you are new, welcome. If not, your concise summing up of the frustration I feel is very welcome. Nicely said.

hugshelp Wed 22-May-19 12:41:43

If watching governments waste millions, if not billions, on spurious blx that will benefit them and their cronies, eg Boris and his garden bridge, every MP and his uncle and their spurious expenses charge, subsidised dining at Westminster cos they would starve otherwise obviously, while people who have become unable to work are literally being starved to death, and I'm feeling a tad peed off with - if this makes me judgemental, well colour me an opinionated cow.

If seeing large corporations complain when their profits are only X million, and their chairman only gets a few million quid bonus, while they lobby to ensure they can charge what they want, build obsolescence into every device that comes out their door (never mind the effect of this on the planet as long as granny uses a bag for life - and yes I do use reusable bags), can over-package the life out of every food item, so we don't see the rubbish bit they hide or the fact the item is half the size suggested, while the queues at the foodbanks grow - if this also pees me off, well ditto.
And if those with the money and power haven't even got the balls to screw us over without hiding it... because they can't handle a demonstration?...

GillT57 Wed 22-May-19 12:19:41

Gonegirl. You mentioned racism. I don't think I did.

Gonegirl Wed 22-May-19 12:08:53

That is a ridiculous post GillT57. Can we not separate simple economics from racism?

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 12:05:25

As of 3rd quarter of 2018.

GillT57 Wed 22-May-19 12:03:33

I agree with you GG54. It is rather obvious why this hearing is to be in private. It could be that the conclusions and findings will be rather embarassing for DWP. Did I just hear a thud as GG54 fainted at me agreeing with her? ?

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 11:59:24

It's to be hoped that the findings will be made public however, I do understand, had it been a public enquiry, that there may well have been ructions and demonstrations which might have derailed the hearing.
Reading the posts on here gives you an idea of the level of anger which they want to avoid.

grannysyb Wed 22-May-19 11:40:52

I thought the point of this discussion was to ask why the DWP were having this enquiry in secret? It should be done in public, as it is clearly in the public interest to find out why this really sick man was abandoned.

GillT57 Wed 22-May-19 11:15:21

It took less time than I anticipated for the 'we are overcrowded' and other such thinly veiled xenophobia to pop up. Nigel will be proud.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 11:10:12

Try this.
Float an empty saucer in a bowl of water. Then start to load it up with pebbles, a few at a time.
The saucer won't get any bigger but, as the number of pebbles increases, the saucer will start to sink. Whoosh!
That's GB for you. We're a tiny island.

Gonegirl Wed 22-May-19 10:40:50

"what do you expect me to do?"

Good point GG. ?

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 10:35:45

GillT57
A couple of comments from MailOnline yesterday re the steel job losses.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 10:01:44

Oh I do have sympathy but, IMO, that can be very patronising if one actually does nothing.
All the sympathy in the world doesn't change a thing.
I vote for Brexit...not that it's any of your business unless, of course, you're being judgemental and that m'dear is definitely not a good trait to admit to on GN as most posters are against anyone being judgemental. grin
As for the projected job losses in Scunthorpe...what a stupid question.
If the bosses have no answers and the banks and government can't or won't bail them out, what do you expect me to do? What an idiotic question. You might as well ask the fairies.
Do you want an answer regarding job losses elsewhere...Jamie Oliver's empire maybe?

GillT57 Wed 22-May-19 09:37:03

riverwalk and no doubt Farage or the loathsome Widdecombe will trot up there and whip up feelings and tell everyone it is the fault of the EU that BS is closing.

Riverwalk Wed 22-May-19 09:33:04

I wonder how the BS workers voted in Brexit - North Lincs was two-thirds to leave.

Elvive Wed 22-May-19 09:23:00

I think G, is having a little joke and saying silly things for effect. Maybe he/she needs some way to pass the time.

GillT57 Wed 22-May-19 09:21:31

I am fortunate enough to have good health and to have had a good education. I also live in an area which is not dependant upon one industry. This does not stop me being aware of and having sympathy for those with lives less fortunate than mine. What do I do about it? I don't vote Tory. So GG54 based on your Victorian values, what are your suggestions for those hard working people about to lose their jobs at BS in Scunthorpe?

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 08:19:03

EllanVannin
I lived there for decades and it was a great place to live. I had plenty of work opportunities, decent food, nice home and family life. Every large city has it's less salubrious areas but the majority of people in Liverpool, then and now, are gems.

GabriellaG54 Wed 22-May-19 08:12:37

Poverty and a lack of motivation have nowt to do with me. It's an individual thing. I can't cure the ills of the world or oust corrupt governments nor am I paid to address poverty or motivate people.
If you can't be bothered to motivate yourself (as I have in my own life) then I'm not inclined to help those who expect others to do it for them.
There are motivational experts who get well paid for doing just that.
I'm no saviour.

GillT57 Wed 22-May-19 08:00:33

Just when I wonder why this country has descended into the state it is in with poverty, lack of motivation etc along comes GG54 and then I understand.