Gransnet forums

News & politics

TM/JC

(26 Posts)
Mycatisahacker Wed 22-May-19 12:15:28

Last day/week so we think? Graham Brady being pressured to change the rules to oust her. Her deal won’t get through. Julian smith the chief whip is furious with her for bringing it back.

JC why isn’t he going for the jugular??? He’s asked one question on British Steel! Now education at this time of national crisis and the pm on the brink

Seriously bloody awful leaders.

loopyloo Wed 22-May-19 12:19:51

You watching pmq ? I agree about questions on education etc.

Mycatisahacker Wed 22-May-19 12:24:56

Yes I mean honestly of course education is vital and I wish we could get back to normal pressing issues and get Brexit done but his second question was about 20 schools!!!

At a time like this. He didn’t press her on,never mind her rotten deal, but on British steel.

Although that’s quite dodgy ground for him as EU competition laws stop us propping up British Steel as we really should.

humptydumpty Wed 22-May-19 12:33:36

Very disappointed in JC throught the whole Brexit process. Can't say he's shown any leadershil at all. Nor has TM! They could both take a leaf out of Vince Cable's book, pity he won't become PM.

Mycatisahacker Wed 22-May-19 12:42:38

You know what I agree with you.

He’s been consistent and has a calm
Statesman quality I don’t always agree with him over Brexit but at least you know where he stands.

I admire vince.

Corbyn and May are utterly awful.

Mycatisahacker Wed 22-May-19 12:57:09

Journalist now saying she’s under attack from brexiteers re northern Ireland veterans prosecutions.

It’s actually becoming unpleasant and she should go for her own dignity and even mental health wellbeing

GillT57 Wed 22-May-19 13:06:18

mycatisahacker. That is one thing wr can all agree on irrespective of our Brexit stance. Both party leaders have proved to be weak and ineffectual and can't even garner support within their own party, let alone the country as a whole. Of the two I consider JC the weaker. He had been handed the discord within the Tory party on a plate and made nothing of it. Talk about snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Nonnie Wed 22-May-19 13:11:48

I used to believe TM would be a good PM. Even people who care about politics get if wrong sometimes and I'm happy to admit I did.

Mycatisahacker Wed 22-May-19 13:15:43

Totally agree GillT57

Nonnie

Me too and if she had gone after the first vote defeat and withdrew gracefully she would have been admired for a good try but this now is just painful!

Anniebach Wed 22-May-19 13:25:46

Brexit , and Corbyn’s first question, 26 schools are crowdfunding

Mycatisahacker Wed 22-May-19 13:28:00

Exactly Annie

It’s like a fox having a rats exposed jugular and then chatting about the weather!

Mycatisahacker Wed 22-May-19 13:58:32

Labours Caroline Flint, who I admire, urging MPs to consider the deal.

Strange bed fellows.

crystaltipps Wed 22-May-19 15:57:38

She’s got to go down in history as the worst pm ever. Shes tried to please everyone but in doing so has pleased no one. JC has had an open goal
but has preferred to twiddle his thumbs on the sidelines. Useless.

Nonnie Wed 22-May-19 16:23:37

crystal are you sure she tried to please everyone? I'm not so kind, I think she just went bull-headed at it, decided what she wanted, thought if she kept going back to the EU they would give her her cake to eat and keep and when that failed closed her eyes and put on her ear muffs and behaved (is still) like a toddler who couldn't get its own way and kept insisting.

varian Wed 22-May-19 17:08:58

She's tried to pander to the ultra brexiters in her party but there was never any way she could satisfy these people. They will always demand more.

Meanwhile she has totally ignored those who voted remain, or didn't vote, or were disenfranchised or voted leave but now want to remain and she has alienated the more sensible members of her party.

Appointing James Slack, the journalist who was responsible for the disgraceful "Enemies of the People" headline in the Daily Mail as her Press Secretary ensured that she kept on the brexit path to nowhere. She only has herself to blame.

Anniebach Wed 22-May-19 17:35:46

She should have put those who didn’t vote and those who voted remain before those who voted leave ?

varian Wed 22-May-19 17:45:05

She should have seen that 17 million out of a population of 66 million was not a mandate for "brexit at any price".

She should have interpreted this narrow result as an indication that the possibility of brexit should be explored, negotiations should take place and further research done, and then she and her government should have reviewed all the information in an even handed way.

When it became apparent that the advisory referendum was won by lies and cheating and that any kind of brexit would damage our economy, our security and our international reputation, she should have either Revoked Article 50 or at least offered another vote.

Anniebach Wed 22-May-19 18:03:52

Some chose not to vote , we have no idea what they would have voted for if they done so.

suzied Wed 22-May-19 18:13:21

She could of handled it so much better in hindsight, If she'd have said, well the result was really close so we'll leave but keep a close relationship with the EU most people would have said fair enough, but she took the side of the extremists and started banging on about Brexit means Brexit and other meaningless soundbites.

Mycatisahacker Thu 23-May-19 08:15:38

Trouble is she if faced with extreme leavers and extreme remainers and neither of them will work together.

GillT57 Thu 23-May-19 08:19:51

Agree that TM and JC are hopeless party leaders and politicians but I nominate bloody Cameron for worst PM ever. He is responsible for this catastrophe.

Anniebach Thu 23-May-19 08:27:51

I have never seen a party leader / PM abused as much as Mrs May.

Mycatisahacker Thu 23-May-19 08:41:55

I actually am finding it very nasty now. Yes she’s made huge mistakes but really would any of the others have done any better??

PMQs always was robust but equally humerous.

Now it’s just a hideous unpleasant bear pit!

Urmstongran Thu 23-May-19 08:55:02

It's hard to feel sad for her. She was and is a Remainer and should never have been chosen to deliver Brexit. She has left her Party and the Country in tatters. It's time for change now and a believer in Brexit to finally deliver it.

No wonder Leadsom has resigned. She has gone too far, with everyone calling it ‘an overly generous deal’ and JC and KS have turned it down anyway!

I think a general election is on the cards ....
?

Anniebach Thu 23-May-19 08:58:14

Johnson v Corbyn, do you want to be hanged or shot.