Gransnet forums

News & politics

"I wish I loved the human race; I wish I loved it's silly face;"

(349 Posts)
Gonegirl Fri 24-May-19 12:07:11

This poem just about sums it up for me today.

Yes, she's resigned. But the nasty, vindictive vitriol coming from so many people this morning is unworthy of the rest of us.

Poor woman. She did her best. She worked so hard and for so long, without any useful help from the rest of them. And now all people can do is kick her when she's down.

Personally I think the whole country should give her the biggest and best bunch of flowers possible, and say THANK YOU FOR TRYING SO HARD!

Now let the vitriol continue....

Urmstongran Fri 24-May-19 16:24:55

I disagree with you on one point Maw

I thought David Davies, Boris and Dominic Raab were all men of principle as they actually resigned from Cabinet. They put their money where their mouth was, so to speak unlike so many who said they were ‘thinking’ of resigning their posts!

Urmstongran Fri 24-May-19 16:30:27

Actually I do think her resigning will make a difference to the logjam. The new PM will clear out the Cabinet, assert his/her authority better, not capitulate and the EU are already planning a get together next week, after the results of the EU elections, to discuss how to deal with the new U.K. Prime Minister.

Fennel Fri 24-May-19 16:41:04

But it will take a big personality to re-assert leadership of the weakened Tory party. And lift Parliament out of their current paralysis.
As well as reaching consensus or compromise with the other parties

lovebeigecardigans1955 Fri 24-May-19 16:45:02

Poor woman. She did her best with a very bad situation. MPs of all parties have behaved shamefully in this situation and have lost our respect (what little there was in the first place) and trust. They are a complete and utter shower.

lemongrove Fri 24-May-19 16:47:06

Exactly Urmston smile
Time to get things moving again.

crystaltipps Fri 24-May-19 16:53:30

Whilst one feels sorry for her on a human level with the amount of strain she has been under, her resilience could be interpreted as obstinacy and a refusal to listen. Her legacy won’t be positive, she has to take a good part of the responsibility for the current crisis, calling the unnecessary election for one. She has put her party before the good of the country as a whole, and no doubt we will be in for more of the same.

GracesGranMK3 Fri 24-May-19 17:27:31

On a human level, I feel sorry for anyone having to go through the awful way we treat our Prime Ministers when they fail. However, I cannot feel sorry for Theresa May when I look at the disintegrating government she leaves behind to be headed by a Tory leader voted in by about 100,000 electors. We need a new government and her efforts have meant we have needed one for some time.

We need a government that will fix the Brexit Crisis for everyone not just the third of the country that voted "out". May couldn't do it and I don't believe a new Tory leader will be able to either.

We need a government that believes in the NHS, not one led by someone who believes in selling it off and privatising it.

We need someone to fix the worst housing crisis since the war. Someone who cares about the homeless and does not set them targets they can only fail. We need a huge programme of house building.

We need someone who does not have austerity as their ideology. We need all communities to get the funding they require to offer a reasonable life to the people in them. No more North-South divide.

We need a New Deal based round Greening our country.

It's not just May. In some ways, she never stood a chance both because of her party and because of her beliefs. Why should the country have to have a new PM imposed on them by a minority government?

We need an election.

Mycatisahacker Fri 24-May-19 17:34:34

I think she tried her best and did what she thought was best but I think she was the totally wrong personality for the top job totally out of her depth.

. I think the same with Corbyn. Good man Also totally out of his depth.

I hope no one would be gleeful today it was quite painful to watch her speech

trisher Fri 24-May-19 17:46:04

Am I gleeful no I'm angry that this woman has kept this despicable government in power. And as for quotes Cromwell on the Rump Parliament says it best You have sat too long for any good you have been doing lately... Depart, I say; and let us have done with you. In the name of God, go!
Address to the Rump Parliament (20 April 1653)
And that goes for all of them!!!!

Bridgeit Fri 24-May-19 17:49:06

GGMK3, true, but I notice you haven’t advocated who should do what you suggest , is this perhaps because at this moment in time there really isn’t anyone ....... the very thought of Boris Johnson...... to quote the well known saying ‘It can’t get any worse’ I suggest that it most definitely can.

Jabberwok Fri 24-May-19 17:50:34

Sorry, mycat, but J. C is not only out of his depth but a most unpleasant man as well. His comments about Mrs May were to say the least disingenuous and frankly out of order, the only person to be so. Along with his complete inability to put together a rational sentence let alone idea, the man is generally awful!!

M0nica Fri 24-May-19 20:42:01

I tend to agree with eezybee, she was the author of her own downfall.

I was in London today and picked up a copy of the vening Standard to read on the train home. Now the editor of the Standard is George Osborne, so he has a particular, but informed view. But the paper gave a fair assessment of her faults and successes.

The paper said that her first mistake was to fail to fully take on board how close the referendum result was, instead by describing it as 'decisive' and pushing through Brexit plans regardless of other opinions, she was, at least partially, responsible for the mess Brexit has become.

Then there was the decision to call another election in 2017. A decision made by a small tight group of advisors with little wider party consultation. This applied to a lot of her decsion making, with, at times, cabinet ministers not told in advance of major decision announcements.

Overall I think she was cloth eared and socially gauche. Dealing well with terrorism, but not acting fast enough at a personal level, to the Grenfell Towers fire, and then only because she was advised to, nor did she understanding the need to be seen to be listening and responding to her parliamentary colleagues

I am not sure whether she would have been any better if her term in office had not included Brexit. I feel her personal traits, not being a people person, vital in politics, where networking and a certain amount of buttering -up is essential and not being sensitive to public expectations after desperate and tragic events, would have lad to her downfall.

Gordon Brown was another such and his lack of the personal touch, made his premiership similarly fraught, despite having a wife in PR, who had a very sure feel about these things.

Both of them worthy and principled people, but lacking the populist touch so essential if you are prime minister.

Anniebach Fri 24-May-19 20:51:46

True Brown didn’t hug a husky or want to hug hoodies, he didn’t hug people and say ‘I feel your pain, Some cannot act for the camera

M0nica Fri 24-May-19 20:53:15

That was his problem and Mrs May's as well.

Avor2 Fri 24-May-19 20:58:12

Agree Gonegirl they will always slag anyone they can to climb to the top, goodness knows what we will get instead, they will vote in another man I expect and then they will start to stab him in the back, I have had it with politicians, The last one left in the country please turn the lights off !!

Gonegirl Fri 24-May-19 21:03:38

I agree Avor2. sad

TwiceAsNice Fri 24-May-19 21:06:21

Brexit has been an absolute shambles from start to finish but I feel Teresa May has tried really hard and deserves some peace now ( and a nice holiday!)

grandma60 Fri 24-May-19 21:10:56

Gonegirl I agree with every word you have written.

Sara65 Fri 24-May-19 21:11:32

I agree as well Avor2
I’m fed up, disgusted, and there’s not a single person I can think is who I would want as party leader
I also loathe Jeremy Corbyn, and a large chunk of the Labour Party
I think the state of British politics is at an all time low

Anniebach Fri 24-May-19 21:18:39

What have we become that we want politicians to publicly
display emotions for the camera

Gonegirl Fri 24-May-19 22:23:00

It is so not necessary to put up onscreen a head and shoulders still of her becoming overwhelmed at the end of her speech. That is so mean.

Gonegirl Fri 24-May-19 22:24:04

And no doubt it will be on the front pages of all the newspapers tomorrow.

rosecarmel Fri 24-May-19 22:27:35

Maybe people want to vote for people who act like human beings instead of machines? I dont know ..

mumofmadboys Fri 24-May-19 22:40:40

As an aside, I met T M just before Easter on Cader Idris in Snowdonia. She was out walking with her DH and two body guards. I had a very brief exchange with her but no mention of the B word!!

Gonegirl Fri 24-May-19 22:45:09

Two bodyguards?! In the wilds of Snowdonia! Wow! grin