Gransnet forums

News & politics

The answer is clear

(94 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-May-19 06:11:37

35% Brexit

40% remain parties

However Farage spins it he DID NOT win the vote and people have indicated that a no deal is not what the country desires. They have no wish to see the U.K. to be ruined by this ideology being spouted by the hard right.

We are a people of moderation.

Nonnie Mon 27-May-19 11:43:21

Oh dear here we go again Mycat hmm hmm if you read my post you will see I said what was happening on Twitter on one and what was said on the BBC news in the other. You could of course check those if it is not too much trouble.

Did you notice my emoticons?

Mycatisahacker Mon 27-May-19 11:37:58

I think that’s you Nonnie

You are always telling us you have proof but never link.

Today you have proof the BBC are biased.

You do realise that you saying it’s actually proof!

Nonnie Mon 27-May-19 11:32:23

Yes, especially those who have no proof or evidence. Easy to throw out comments and then refuse to back them up.

Mycatisahacker Mon 27-May-19 11:11:07

Funny thing proof!

Mycatisahacker Mon 27-May-19 11:08:58

Nonnie

The bbc is accused of bias by all sides so it’s clearly doing a good job.

Btw I see a man has been charged with criminal damage and common assault on Farrage.

Nonnie Mon 27-May-19 11:06:50

Proof that the BBC is biased - just heard R4 news and LibDems were not even mentioned!

mycat you said "Laura K is not biased. Such nonsense." where is your evidence?

Mycatisahacker Mon 27-May-19 11:01:58

38% of Scots voted leave in the ref.

If labour ditches Corbyn it would win a GE but he’s a dithering idiot who can’t make up his mind on Brexit so they got a well deserved kick up the arias.

Gonegirl Mon 27-May-19 10:58:08

As EV said further up/down the thread, these were just protest votes. When a General Election eventually comes, people will go back to voting for the party they usually back.

It could be seen as a fuss over nothing, given that the new lot of EU mps will not take their seats until 1st Novemeber. A day after we leave on 31st October.

Urmstongran Mon 27-May-19 10:57:55

Scotland gained an extra MEP making 3 in total.

The Brexit Party polled 16% of the vote in Scotland (so not all for Remain then) and got one MEP.

Mycatisahacker Mon 27-May-19 10:49:46

Laura K is not biased. Such nonsense.

Nonnie Mon 27-May-19 10:45:04

quiz I cannot agree about the BBC 'spins for remain' I think it is quite the opposite. Laura K is getting a lot of stick on Twitter for her clear bias towards Brexit.

Some interesting posts on here, also some very immature posts. I assume most of us know which is which.

We have been told over recent weeks that this vote was effectively a second referendum so it is quite clear that the remain parties won by a bigger majority than leavers won in 2016. However, it is a small majority in both cases.

How can we heal the country? If a 'no deal' PM gets power they will alienate half the country and lose the next GE. If Labour stay on the fence they could also lose and we would be back to some sort of coalition. Surely the only fair thing to do is see what sort of deal the government can agree with the EU (probably just what is already on offer) and then ask the electorate whether they want to accept that or keep the status quo. Anything else will leave the country very divided.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-May-19 10:30:32

Alistair Campbell

“Farage will not be very happy today, whatever he may say, he only got a third of a third of the votes cast. Only 1 in 10 voted for BP”

EllanVannin Mon 27-May-19 10:25:04

Says it all when the Brexit party is anti-immigration !! You can't have independence AND anti-immigration.

EllanVannin Mon 27-May-19 10:20:22

God help this country if it ends up " independent !!" They should have thought about all that before " opening the gates ".

Paddyann I hope the results for Scotland and NI are favourable enough to turn the English votes on their head !

Framilode Mon 27-May-19 10:19:53

Sky also put Remain in the lead.

Mycatisahacker Mon 27-May-19 10:19:41

Wonder how long Corbyn has

quizqueen Mon 27-May-19 10:16:35

The BBC will always spin the votes in praise of Remain; if there's one thing you can rely on, it's that! You can not add up all the others and set them just against the Brexit Party. Did the BBC add in the UKIP vote, the English Democratic/BNP, some independents, some Labour voters who will never vote anything else, no matter what, but are Leavers, a lot of Tory Leavers. Some of those voting Green were maybe just protesting against climate change and I know lots of people who voted Leave in the Referendum who didn't vote this time because they didn't think that it should be happening.

GillT57 Mon 27-May-19 10:16:19

Even Farage is not trumpeting this as a great victory. Anyone seen an interview with a UKIP member yet?

Mycatisahacker Mon 27-May-19 10:12:10

the answer is clear

That’s the funniest line I have heard so far wink

BlueBelle Mon 27-May-19 10:05:56

You need to look beyond the headlines though don’t you Just been looking at the ‘WHITEWASH’ results that some have posted about
I think we can all agree Brexit is the new UKIP and the leave group whereas Lib Dem’s and Green are the main remainers with Conservative and labour so effed up they are almost non existent
UKIP lost all 23 seats so Brexit just gained back UKIPs lost seats plus 5 whilst Lib Dem gained 14 seats and greens 4 which means Remain gained 18 seats and Leave gained 5

Luckygirl Mon 27-May-19 09:50:53

The results reflect the confusion that our governance is in. And indeed the EU itself which bizarrely has seen a rise in anti-EU MEPs, which seems a bit of a contradiction in terms.

I have always been a bit on the fence as regards the EU, which has brought obvious benefits to some of the members, but has serious flaws, which are becoming more obvious and fuelling a backlash, not just in the UK. I find the whole scenario very worrying indeed.

I feel that the EU needs to wake up its listening skills and be more adaptable or the right wing hardliners will start to win the day, to the benefit of no-one at all.

One of my reservations about the EU from the beginning has been the old adage that the worst acts of violence occur within families rather than outside - trying to contain squabbling among 28 nations is a huge ask; whereas maintaining cordial but slightly distant relationships is sometimes easier.

I do not know what the answer is; but I am clear that it is not as simple as some would have us believe.

paddyann Mon 27-May-19 09:44:25

Scotland Wales and likley NI (no result yet) voted REMAIN parties only ENGLAND wants to leave ..why should the rest of us be dragged out against our will? Of course its how it always was Westminster the bully thinks it owns us ..but times and people change .WE WANT OUR VOICES HEARD .

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-May-19 09:38:44

Farage agreed that remain got the most votes

EllanVannin Mon 27-May-19 09:28:22

These were protest votes and the whole thing was a farce IMHO. A GE will sort it out.

jura2 Mon 27-May-19 09:22:56

The only thing that is clear, is that the country is more divided than ever- and that whatever happens - almost half are going to be totally disenfranchised to the point of being angry.

The other clear thing is that, the only way to ensure that the proportions become 60+ to 40- is for all remain parties to form a strong alliance and ensure they strategically boost the vote for remain - and for LP to convince Corbyn to either go, or to look at the current situation and come off the fence and make a very strong case for PV, explaining what we know now, about the Irish border, about WTO, about the clear fact that it is LP members and supporters who will be the biggest victims- and the tiny percentage and massive fraud and lies. With conviction and unity, the LP can make a really strong irrefutable case for changing direction.