Gransnet forums

News & politics

The answer is clear

(93 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-May-19 06:11:37

35% Brexit

40% remain parties

However Farage spins it he DID NOT win the vote and people have indicated that a no deal is not what the country desires. They have no wish to see the U.K. to be ruined by this ideology being spouted by the hard right.

We are a people of moderation.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-May-19 06:22:22

To just make it quite clear. That result is just counting greens chuk and libs that doesn’t count in any of labour, which if you are very conservative you could only include say 50% so remain has romped it

So Farage get back into your revolting little shell.

Labour sooooo needs to change its policy to remain.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-May-19 06:25:57

Europe as a whole is turning green, they understand what is ahead of us and what we need to do. The U.K. certainly gave more votes to the greens than its ever done, but we are still busy studying our navels.

Time to grow up and recognise that the existential threat of climate change can only be tackled by countries working together. Climate change does not recognise artificial constructs like borders.

Alima Mon 27-May-19 06:59:55

Good morning Whitewave. (Felt I should say something as you appear to be talking to yourself).
Vive le Nige!

Anja Mon 27-May-19 07:06:04

Whitewave your logic is spot on. Nigel is a plonker.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-May-19 07:16:14

However it is spun, Farage has not the runaway victory that was anticipated.

Leavers should be disappointed because the underlying trend is clearly towards remain. As we have known for months.

Urmstongran Mon 27-May-19 07:21:03

Are you in an echo chamber WW ?
?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-May-19 07:26:24

Yes and really enjoying it.

The message can’t be said too often.

The U.K. has rejected the hard right message if Farage

GracesGranMK3 Mon 27-May-19 07:31:11

Sorry to say Whitewave, the psephologist is saying that it was 35% Leave, 35% remain so we are back in the position that on one day (with lies and illegality) Leave might win, and on another Remain might.

What I believe it did show is that the parties with a clear message got the votes. I hope the LP is about to hold an extraordinary meeting or whatever they do. Certainly, the Tories have a death wish if they try to out-Farage Farage. But on the other hand, Farage will never be allowed to negotiate - although perhaps that would show him up for the puff of smoke he actually is.

It seems that the rest of Europe is pretty split too, but about the direction of Europe, not on leave/remain.

Liz46 Mon 27-May-19 07:32:08

We had a democratic vote and the majority voted to leave the EU. Remainers have caused this chaos and this recent vote reaffirms that the majority want to leave.

kittylester Mon 27-May-19 07:33:43

Not terribly decisively though! The country is divided. If you add all the remain parties together, they had a majority - or so someone said on the beeb.

We need a second referendum with 3 options.

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-May-19 07:34:17

gg ? stopped in my tracks?

Whitewavemark2 Mon 27-May-19 07:35:28

kitty ? that’s what I think.

dragonfly46 Mon 27-May-19 07:37:55

According to commentary in the press Liz it is not so clear cut. As kitty says more people in fact voted to remain but the vote was split between the parties.

mcem Mon 27-May-19 07:46:13

53% remain 47% leave,according to Sir John Curtice. Absolute reversal of referendum result.
The only way forward is a decisive vote by the people.
Well done LibDems, Greens, Plaid and SNP. Work together and we'll Remain.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 27-May-19 07:48:03

We had a democratic vote and the majority voted to leave the EU. (Mon 27-May-19 07:32:08)

Your problem lies with the word "democratic" Liz46. Although the little man thinks he is being clever by quoting "For a civilised democracy to work, you need the losers' consent", he seems only to understand the quote from a dictators point of view. He seems to believe, as dictators do, that the loser must consent. It looks as if you may agree with that too. The quote really doesn't mean that. It means that you must enable the loser to consent. To do that the referendum needed to have democratic legitimacy and it patently didn't.

Get rid of the lies, law-breaking and partisan press and you might have a chance of people actually believing in a vote.

GracesGranMK3 Mon 27-May-19 07:51:46

We need a second referendum with 3 options.

A second referendum will only clarify anything if the proposals are actionable. Simply "leave" is not; everyone could decide what it meant to them.

Urmstongran Mon 27-May-19 07:56:29

Armed with your remainer calculators could you do my tax returns for me??

??

mumofmadboys Mon 27-May-19 08:03:03

I agree we need a second referendum. We are all now better informed what the consequences of leaving the EU mean. When we voted the majority of us did not understand the dire consequences leaving would bring about and we were also told a lot of untruths .Democracy neens to be a dynamic process.

BlueBelle Mon 27-May-19 08:09:12

Liz46 if I hear this democratic vote thing rolled out one more time I will scream so loudly you ll all Jim
DEMOCRACY CANNOT BE BUILT ON LIES AND CRIMINAL ACTIVITY
phew got that off my chest for the millionth time

BlueBelle Mon 27-May-19 08:09:49

Jump not Jim I don’t know where he came from ?

Liz46 Mon 27-May-19 08:11:17

How is acceptable to add the votes for all the other parties together? I've not heard that one before.

maryeliza54 Mon 27-May-19 08:11:42

Let’s face it - we are as completely f***ed this morning as a country as we were yesterday morning. I think today I will simply listen to music and eat cake.

Liz46 Mon 27-May-19 08:24:01

Best idea maryliza54. I just wonder if the Loony party was still going, would the Remainers have claimed their votes as well?

Witzend Mon 27-May-19 08:40:04

The combined share of the definitely pro Remain parties' votes was 40.4%.
The share of the only definitely pro Brexit party was 34.9%. (Beeb figures)

Given that both Lab and Con shares of the vote have plummeted so drastically, it would seem pretty obvious that many of their disaffected/just plain pissed off with them voters have decamped to LD, Greens, Change, PC, etc.
This is particularly obvious in London, where many staunch Labour areas have gone LibDem.

Our area is always a toss up between Con and LD, Labour come nowhere. This time the LD vote has increased hugely, so evidently a lot of habitual Con voters have decamped to LD to make their Brexit feelings clear.

Anyone thinking this is a straight win for Farage, or that habitual Con voters are automatically pro Brexit, is IMO deluding themselves.