Gransnet forums

News & politics

Good vibes around here

(26 Posts)
Caledonai14 Tue 28-May-19 09:30:02

There's a good, positive feeling in this wee part of Scotland today. A lot of concern about the effects of Brexit has toned down for the moment as we see that the democratic will of the Scottish people - to stay in the EU - has a slightly greater chance of being taken into account of in the general rush to plunge over the cliff at Halloween.

However, we must take account of the Scots minority who voted for Brexit and not forget how awful being told to "shut up and get over it" has been for the past 3 years.

Let's think of positive ways to achieve self government while keeping close ties and a meaningful relationship with our nearest neighbours and market.

Britain has shown, in other parts of the world, it can be a positive force as a former colonial power, even if its recent attitude to Ireland has made no sense.

Message to Boris and pals: Let us go, but work towards staying friends and show the world we Brits still know how to do democracy, diplomacy and common sense.

Mycatisahacker Tue 28-May-19 10:34:41

I hope you don’t take this personally as it’s not meant that way but as an English person I really couldn’t have given a flying duck if you had voted to stay or leave.

It wasn’t the English or the welsh who had the vote it was Scotland who voted to stay.

By all means have another ref.

Why not that’s the fashion isn’t it? If the loud lot loose a vote they want another one to get the result they wanted. grin

Mycatisahacker Tue 28-May-19 10:53:57

Btw if you do go can you send us Ruth Davidson as she’s fab. You can keep Nicola grin

Caledonai14 Tue 28-May-19 11:41:16

So much for any hope of a reasonable, polite, civilised solution to the current messes we are in then. sad

Mycatisahacker Tue 28-May-19 11:48:12

How was that not polite.

I was stating a fact. If Scotland wanted to go I think that’s perfectly acceptable as I am a democrat. You didn’t vote to go you voted to stay. If you want another ref great have one.

How is that not resiectful?

Mycatisahacker Tue 28-May-19 11:48:23

Respectful? Sorry

Mycatisahacker Tue 28-May-19 11:53:00

And I think I was polite I said my views are not personal I have many Scots mates who I love very much including my sil.

Jabberwok Tue 28-May-19 12:03:39

I absolutely agree Mycat! Unlike the EU, this country isn't in the business of keeping people against their will, so as far as I can see if the people of Scotland want to leave the union that's absolutely fine, and it would be very wrong to make it so difficult as to make it impossible. Same goes for Wales and NI. Surely you Scots who are desperate to leave the Union can understand that this is how some of us feel about leaving the EU?!

srn63 Tue 28-May-19 12:11:34

Totally agree, if the Scots want to leave the UK then leave, but be very aware that the EU might not want you without the rest of the United Kingdom and if they do it might take years to join.

GabriellaG54 Tue 28-May-19 12:13:55

I agree that it would be irresponsible and unfair and indeed hypocritical to put obstacles in the way, if Scotland (or Wales or NI) wanted to leave the UK.
There is nothing to be lost by them trying, therefore it cannot be held against us if they fail to secure the freedom from WM which they crave.
Good luck.

Mycatisahacker Tue 28-May-19 12:25:41

I know a poster wants independence! I support that if that majority do but that makes me impolite, uncivilised and unreasonable!

Baffling!

srn63 Tue 28-May-19 12:28:40

I don't want to appear stupid, but what does WM mean?

Mycatisahacker Tue 28-May-19 12:30:15

Westminster

Caledonai14 Tue 28-May-19 12:32:44

I can only speak for myself but no I am not "desperate" to leave the UK. When asked to vote on the issue, five years ago, I was told leaving the UK would mean leaving the EU and was duped by Project Fear.

The UK could have left the EU on March 29 if all of the Tories and their pals the DUP had agreed to do so. They had 3 years to plan and prepare to do this, but seemed to make a bit of a mess of it, including requesting the inclusion of a NI backstop which they've spent a lot of money and time trying to wriggle out of, while blaming everyone else for their own doo doo.

The situation has changed for all of us, In any other era, we'd have had a general election by now. Under any other government, there would have been a confirmatory referendum on the deal once it became obvious it was having problems getting passed at Westminster.

Once out of the EU, all Scotland's agreements will go through Westminster before being selectively returned to Holyrood at the whim of, probably, the ruling Conservatives or Labour, neither of whom have shown any sign of caring two whits for Scotland.

As most Scottish laws are aligned with those of the EU, this will be a major, unwelcome change for us.

Not desperate to leave the omnishambles as I keep hoping common sense will prevail. However, I'd like another say now we are aware how close we'll have to get with the Saudis and Trump and now we know whose hands will be on the UK tiller.

Oh....wait a minute....?

srn63 Tue 28-May-19 12:33:59

Mycatisahacker - thank you

Mycatisahacker Tue 28-May-19 12:42:15

So how was my post so offensive!

We all had project fear! You fell for it and we didn’t.

Why were you so defensive about my post supporting you Leaving If the majority wants to go??

Can you explain that please as I am
Very puzzled

Mycatisahacker Tue 28-May-19 12:44:10

srn63

grin and were you an SRN? If so cheers me too. Much better than RGN grin

Callistemon Tue 28-May-19 12:52:22

Same goes for Wales and NI.
Please don't tar the Welsh with the same brush, those posters who have included them with the Scots.

Why would you do that? confused

Jane10 Tue 28-May-19 12:56:19

If Scotland wanted to leave the UK! But it doesn't. That was clearly demonstrated in 2014 and in the polls ever since. The Braveheart brigade make a lot of noise but the silent majority quietly get on with life as part of the United Kingdom.

srn63 Tue 28-May-19 12:58:36

Mycatisahacker - yes I was, srn are also my initials, I think it was meant to be.

Mycatisahacker Tue 28-May-19 13:20:38

srn63

Ah the good old days of nursing school, scary sister tutors, matrons and getting your stripes on your hat! It was clearly meant to be. grin

Op I have never met another poster who posts, gets an agreement to that posts and then strops.

Again what was unreasonable impolite and uncivilised about my reply.

Still baffled

Callistemon Tue 28-May-19 14:05:52

I should have said 'certain Scots Nationalists' Jane10 - apologies.
My Scottish friends do not want independence.

GabriellaG54 Tue 28-May-19 14:56:03

Calistemon

For my part, I mentioned that if Wales or NI wanted independence (and some do) then they should be afforded the right to do so, like Scotland.
That is not 'tarring with the same brush' which has a different meaning.

Mycatisahacker Tue 28-May-19 15:06:28

Still can’t see why my post so offended you Calondenail

Callistemon Tue 28-May-19 19:52:27

I think about 5% of people in Wales want independence, Gabriella!
Compared to less than 45% in Scotland.