Gransnet forums

News & politics

Protest marches

(87 Posts)
Lindylou51 Tue 04-Jun-19 14:00:22

Why has it become fashionable at protests to have young children or toddlers in pushchairs holding up banners/cards. It doesn't feel right to me to involve young children in what could be quite a frightening experience with mass chanting and crowds. I do understand that some parents are unable to get babysitters or perhaps they feel it gives more oomph to their cause.

MaizieD Wed 05-Jun-19 08:42:33

She should have been arrested along with plenty other left wing loonies

Why are you making the assumption, gilly, that the anti-Trump protestors were leftwing?

EllanVannin Wed 05-Jun-19 09:03:19

Gillybob, I've worked for years in the NHS and it was just latterly that I'd noticed bullying creeping in and sadly it was reported in our local rag that bullying is rife in our hospital and the powers that be are trying to clamp down on it. One nurse wrote in that she dreaded going to work and was tearful. This is just lately.
The militancy among some staff is explosive, they'd strike at the drop of a hat.

gillybob Wed 05-Jun-19 09:03:25

They were there to see the messiah MazieD which is a bit of a give away . Also since when did not being left wing make anyone “Nazi Scum” ?

EllanVannin Wed 05-Jun-19 09:06:17

Protesters do tend to be left-wing !!
___________running for cover.

Anniebach Wed 05-Jun-19 09:25:42

I use to go on protest marches, they were always carried out
with dignity

MaizieD Wed 05-Jun-19 09:26:55

Don't be ridiculous, gilly. They were on an anti-Trump demonstration. There will have been people of all shades of political opinion there because Trump violates all sorts of people's principles. Had I lived closer to London I think I would have been there.

I have seen the video of that dreadful woman. I hope she is arrested and prosecuted for hate speech. Apologising on facebook is meaningless.

Also since when did not being left wing make anyone “Nazi Scum” ?

Since you let your imagination run away with you gilly

Urmstongran Wed 05-Jun-19 09:26:58

Much food is eaten where the source is not known. Schools, hospitals, restaurants, airlines etc. If you wish to eat meat that you know the source of then it rules out many of these places I suppose.

Those of us who can afford to will buy chicken labelled from a trusted source.

Eaters of Buckets of fried chicken probably don’t mind anyway. They eat it in Florida on holiday all the time without knowing probably.

Just on the tv now - Trump says he understands the NHS is not up for part of a trade deal. In the short term, okay. Long term? He won’t always be POTUS. That said surely it’ll be up to our crack team of negotiators to say ‘on yer bike’!

Reality? It’s creaking. Someone said to me once the Tory party underfund it to demonstrate its not fit for purpose then private investors move in to show how it should be done .....

I don’t trust any of them really. Politicians would sell their own grandmothers if it had personal gain.

As someone said upthread, look at the wheeze Labour brought in with PFI. It is still costing the country a fortune in repayments, even now.

MaizieD Wed 05-Jun-19 09:32:45

Someone said to me once the Tory party underfund it to demonstrate its not fit for purpose then private investors move in to show how it should be done .....

I said that on a thread only yesterday. Do you mean to say that I'm not the only person who recognises this fact?

I don’t trust any of them really. Politicians would sell their own grandmothers if it had personal gain.

Oh dear, Ug. Isn't the Blessed Nige a politician...? In at the trough with the best of them... hmm

Urmstongran Wed 05-Jun-19 09:41:58

You’re right of course MD but we have to vote for one of the snakes!

Being politically aware is a minefield. No wonder some people don’t bother and just say ‘they’re all the same’.

Walking round with a big daft grin on my face, not reading political articles or watching the news is tempting sometimes ....
?

MaizieD Wed 05-Jun-19 09:49:05

Much food is eaten where the source is not known. Schools, hospitals, restaurants, airlines etc. If you wish to eat meat that you know the source of then it rules out many of these places I suppose.

The source in the UK is producers who are supposed to conform to the EU standards which, if they come from outside the UK, have to be conformed with as part of our trade deals with them. We can eat our meat with confidence that it conforms to those standards and that, if any rogue producers are traced they can be sanctioned for nonconformity to the standards. The US are asking , no, demanding, that these standards to be dropped as part of any trade deal with them.

Will the penny never drop?

Those of us who can afford to will buy chicken labelled from a trusted source.

I'm sure you don't mean to sound smug, Ug, but this does come over rather badly...

Urmstongran Wed 05-Jun-19 09:53:03

I don’t mean to sound smug, truly. I apologise if I do. I just probably haven’t expressed myself well.

On further thinking about this topic (ouch, my brain is hurting!) is it American healthcare or the American healthcare system?

As long as healthcare remains free at the point of use, I'm not particuarly bothered which healthcare professionals provide it.

And already our NHS hires non-Brits, buys foreign manufactured medicines and medical equipment, and already outsources services to private firms, such as Virgin.

If a US-based company can provide a service at a lower rate, why wouldn't you want the NHS to save money - taxpayers money,at the end of the day - and do so?

By the same token, UK companies will have more open access to the US health market!

gillybob Wed 05-Jun-19 09:57:01

My imagination is not "running away with me" at all mazieD but I do think you are in denial if you cannot see that these protesters (or rent a thugs) were there to worship at the alter that is Jeremy Corbyn. you say "if you had lived closer to London you might have been there" Really? Have you even watched the horrific footage ?

Its p

gillybob Wed 05-Jun-19 09:58:20

Not sure where the "Its p" came from ? confused

gillybob Wed 05-Jun-19 10:00:40

Sadly there wasn't one ounce of dignity at those protests yesterday Annie .

Barmeyoldbat Wed 05-Jun-19 10:10:48

I have been on marches and the last one I took my young gd. I see nothing wrong with it, I regard it as a way of teaching children how to be aware of whats going on and take action if they don't agree, lately we have seen children making a protest about plastic. Its their future and world and they need to learn how to handle it without fighting. And bh the way, I was working.

Grandad1943 Wed 05-Jun-19 10:12:38

Urmstongran, we have witnessed private companies who supply health care to the NHS under contract fail time and time again, especially in mental care, aged person care and nursing home care etc.

Bringing to justice and correcting the failings of those that only see health care as "money making" can be difficult enough when those companies and persons are based in Britain or the European Union. However, bringing to justice or recovering money from those persons and organisations based in the United States, which has totally different court and justice system to Britain and the EU would be nothing short of a nightmare.

Anniebach Wed 05-Jun-19 10:13:36

There wasn’t gilly and considering there were so many reasons for people marching, Environment, Stop The War,
Nuclear Disarmament, LGBT, Anti Trump, and more, there were very few for so many different protests.

Then Corbyn waffles on about everything except ingrowing
toenails

Dunmiedin Wed 05-Jun-19 10:15:05

I often wonder that myself!

counterpoint Wed 05-Jun-19 10:18:20

It’s naive to suppose big US healthcare firms will do things cheaper. Of course they can mobilise enough money to undercut NHS bidders until they have taken over the market. Then it is payback time and the prices go up. Will free at the point of delivery survive that? Apart from that, part of the motivation of many NHS staff is providing a public service. Working to make the maximum profit for a US company isn’t the same. So, no, free at the point of delivery isn’t the only criterion for a successful NHS.

Rowantree Wed 05-Jun-19 10:20:19

It definitely isn't new.
My parents took all of their children on CND marches in the early 60s. Sometimes we carried placards. I went on a Children's March to ban H-bomb tests when I was around 8 and was interviewed by some media tv person (don't think it was ever aired though!) I think it's admirable that many families include their children and bring them up to recognise they can make choices and that it's our responsibility to question the decisions of those in power if we believe them to be wrong. All power to them. Long may it continue - and it's now essential that many more join them.

gillybob Wed 05-Jun-19 10:21:01

My dad (a life long Labour party member) has just christened JC "Jeremy the garden grabber" confused.

I wasn't sure what on earth he was talking about.

Nanny41 Wed 05-Jun-19 10:24:34

Marches if they are respectfullu organised ,but this latest thing about going on strike at School, thanks to little "pigtail Thunberg", is beyond me, arent you supposed by law to be at School, to learn, not to starve your self for some cause.Rant over,ready to be hanged.

Grandad1943 Wed 05-Jun-19 10:25:57

Anniebach, few people were marching because it was a weekday when all the children where at school and the majority of others working, and was in all probability why the match was much smaller than of a weekend.

Those of those that heard Corbyns speech in full thought it was excellent I am tols, and once again demonstrated his strength in "on street campaining".

A taste of what may be to come if a General Election is called in the Autumn.

PamGeo Wed 05-Jun-19 10:27:57

A mature nurse I worked with in a hospice in Bristol was a Quaker and went on lots of protests and had done all her adult life. She was a lovely caring quiet women and a very good nurse.

gillybob Wed 05-Jun-19 10:28:22

You definitely can't be hanged for having an opinion Nanny41 .

My DGD's secondary school would be "down like a ton of bricks" on any children taking time out of school to protest. Yes by law they should be at school on school days.