Gransnet forums

News & politics

I called it!

(26 Posts)
rosecarmel Tue 04-Jun-19 19:14:01

Dollar Tree announced that it will be ... wait for it ...

offering items worth more than a dollar! I'm so excited! I'm rarely ever right!

However ... I doubt attempting to sell items marked more than they are worth will work out- Dollar Tree opened several stores called Deals that carried junk items that cost more than a dollar and they all closed up shop in under a years time, I think-

This is exactly how I pictured the tariff thingy playing out- In fact, several months ago Dollar Tree began changing product packaging, for example 9volt batteries were 2 for a dollar and now they are one per-

I wonder if 5 Below will follow ..

Don't get me wrong, some stuff is worth a buck- But I dream of having options- Like clothing, for example- Clothing in the US is abysmal ... even what's offered at high end stores, you flip the price tag and are like whaa?? It even feels cheap-

I miss "real" Levi jeans ..

I hope this tariff thing brings back quality and craftsmanship ..

MawBroonsback Tue 04-Jun-19 19:30:01

confused
Translation please?

Gonegirl Tue 04-Jun-19 19:34:38

Are you on the wrong website rosecarmel? confused

Gonegirl Tue 04-Jun-19 19:35:43

Is it about US imposing tariffs on Chinese goods?

Gonegirl Tue 04-Jun-19 19:37:23

If people don't buy cheap Chinese, they might buy home-grown products? Which might be better quality?

Gonegirl Tue 04-Jun-19 19:37:52

Shall we all spend the evening working this out, or shall we watch 'enders?

kittylester Tue 04-Jun-19 20:21:11

I watched Stenders gone, it was good.

I have no idea what this is about though!

Gonegirl Tue 04-Jun-19 20:23:47

Sssh. I'm on Cas now.

Urmstongran Tue 04-Jun-19 20:24:58

Shower for me, a cuppa and ‘63’

Gonegirl Tue 04-Jun-19 20:25:42

Holby!!!!!!!!

Gonegirl Tue 04-Jun-19 20:26:07

Oh I forgot about that.

rosecarmel Tue 04-Jun-19 20:41:22

Ohhhhwha ..

Dollar Tree is a dollar store here that sells cheap stuff for one dollar- Five Below is another store that sells cheap stuff for 5 dollars-

Dollar Tree announced (news worthy here) that it is going to carry stuff that costs more than one dollar -- which is what I figured would happen with all the tariff stuff going on, and that I doubt their efforts to sell the junk for more than a dollar will prove successful-

Is it about US imposing tariffs on Chinese goods?

Yes -- I think! smile

rosecarmel Tue 04-Jun-19 20:43:22

We really are swamped here with stuff from China- I'd really like to see some variety ..

MiniMoon Tue 04-Jun-19 21:28:22

Oh, I see, it's like Poundland or our local pound shop. At least we aren't swamped with Chinese junk in our pound shop, it's all well known brands. I got 2 balls of pretty variegated yarn there recently, and crocheted a produce bag and a phone cosy.

crazyH Tue 04-Jun-19 21:33:36

Rosecarmel, now I've got it -
I'm watching 63 Up - really interesting if you followed it from the beginning. Rosecarmel, you won't know what I'm talking about it ?

MaizieD Tue 04-Jun-19 21:39:21

At least we aren't swamped with Chinese junk in our pound shop, it's all well known brands.

And how many of our 'well known brands' are made in China?

Whenever I go shopping it feels as though we're swamped with Chinese junk. Just try buying something that isn't made in China.

MawBroonsback Tue 04-Jun-19 21:56:08

Oh.

lemongrove Tue 04-Jun-19 22:39:17

The pound shop has some things that cost more than a pound....

MawBroonsback Tue 04-Jun-19 22:53:25

True lemongrove
#strangesubjectforathread

Callistemon Tue 04-Jun-19 23:32:46

confused

Shall we all spend the evening working this out, or shall we watch 'enders?
Nah, I watched Brian Cox

The yarn in our £ shop is more than £1
Is it made in China?
or Turkey?

MiniMoon Tue 04-Jun-19 23:53:36

The yarn in ours is £1 but doesn't state on the label where it is manufactured. It just has a UK address.

rosecarmel Wed 05-Jun-19 05:20:31

#strangesubjectforathread

What's the subject MawBroon?

rosecarmel Wed 05-Jun-19 05:20:46

smile

MawBroonsback Wed 05-Jun-19 06:27:44

I did wonder Rosecarmel.

BlueBelle Wed 05-Jun-19 06:55:56

?
Haven’t you always had dollar shops over there? we seem to have had pound shops for ever and I presumed they d come from you originally
I use them if they ve got what I want cheaper than a regular shop but I don’t use them that much
I think they started off as everything for a pound but now sell lots of things for more although not much more
Now back to important things like having a shower