Gransnet forums

News & politics

BBC licence fee update

(245 Posts)
GabriellaG54 Mon 10-Jun-19 15:01:05

The BBC have decided that free tv licences will only be available to over 75s who receive pension credit.
This will take effect from June 2020.
Everyone else will pay the full amount.

KatyK Mon 10-Jun-19 16:26:13

It would be a shame if they took the bus passes. I love mine and use it a lot but I could manage without it. I know there are people who would not get to go anywhere if they didn't have their passes.

kittylester Mon 10-Jun-19 16:43:08

Katy, would you pay, say, £20 to get a bus pass?

Labaik Mon 10-Jun-19 16:49:12

Maybe it's better for the environment if some of us can get on a bus sometimes instead of using the car?

Kittye Mon 10-Jun-19 16:55:09

I’d be happy to pay £20 for my bus pass. Not reached the age for free tv licence yet. I’d be happy not to get the £10 Christmas present. As long as pensioners who need it get the benefits it’s ok with me.

Niobe Mon 10-Jun-19 17:01:11

Tv licence works out about £3 a week so not too bad. We just qualified last month so will have about one year free.

suziewoozie Mon 10-Jun-19 17:01:19

One consolation, I think you can pay monthly by dd for the licence without any extra charge.

Labaik Mon 10-Jun-19 17:23:54

Are you sure it doesn't cost more; I thought it did?

Labaik Mon 10-Jun-19 17:29:23

..only costs more if paid quarterly. Thanks suzie; may switch to monthly...

Jane43 Mon 10-Jun-19 17:38:20

We have received one year but won’t complain when we lose it. I do feel the winter fuel allowance should also be only for those on pension credit but if bus passes go it will be a retrograde step as many pensioners depend on their bus pass to get out regularly.

PamelaJ1 Mon 10-Jun-19 17:49:29

Fine

GabriellaG54 Mon 10-Jun-19 17:54:47

I agree about the WFA and can't really understand why the £10 Christmas 'bonus' gets paid either.
I'd gladly pay £20-30 for an annual bus pass.

EllanVannin Mon 10-Jun-19 18:24:05

Apparently it'll be means-tested, so I'm hoping that the £ 200 winter fuel payment is too ! It's only fair.

EllanVannin Mon 10-Jun-19 18:32:07

Do married couples get £200 each ? No wonder the country's drained.

Niobe Mon 10-Jun-19 18:50:23

No, when one person of a couple qualifies he/she gets £200 and when both qualify they get £100 each so still £200.

Alima Mon 10-Jun-19 19:03:40

At least the pensioners in greatest need will still have a free TV licence. It is only recently I realised that they were free for people over 75. They used to be free for blind people didn’t they?
If they stop our bus passes I will stamp my feet and squeem and squeem! We use our bus passes loads, the only option since we got rid of the car. Yes, I would willingly pay£20-£30 for a senior bus card. I have just renewed our friends and family railcard.

Cherrytree59 Mon 10-Jun-19 19:05:01

If you are a waspi
No pension
No bus pass
No free tv like licence to look forward to.
Just work till you drop, if you don't fall off your perch first and save the government
even more money sad

Grammaretto Mon 10-Jun-19 19:20:19

Are we discussing all benefits or just the over 75 tv licence? My in-laws are in their 90s and watch a lot of tv. Its one of their few pleasures. They can no longer use buses so it will hit them very hard.
Whenever benefits are removed it is depressing.

KatyK Mon 10-Jun-19 19:26:16

Yes I would kitty. Willingly.

EllanVannin Mon 10-Jun-19 19:39:41

The £10 should be transferred towards a yearly cost for the buses, for what use it is.

blondenana Mon 10-Jun-19 19:49:45

I agree with this, there are lots of people who can afford a TV licence, ans those who have a car don;t usually use bus passes anyway
The winter fuel allowance had already been cut once,it was the first thing David Cameron did,
All these wealthy people who don;t need child benefit should refuse it,I believe Phillip Schofield refused it
Apparently not everyone who are entitled to pension credit is getting it,so worth looking into

Caledonai14 Mon 10-Jun-19 20:07:33

In answer to a question earlier on, paying the TV licence monthly by direct debit doesn't cost more but they way they work it, you are always well in credit and I seem to remember that meant a large payment when I started (too long ago now to remember exactly).

In other words, I am currently payingby direct debit for the licence six months ahead, so that if I suddenly decide to stop paying, the BBC will still receive the money for what I've watched so far and it gives them six months to check whether I really have no telly. It's illegal to receive a signal without a licence (remember the old detector vans?).

This whole problem started when the Government decided not to fund the licence fee rebate and put the onus on the BBC. As usual, we are the soft targets and I agree that it's another injustice for Waspis and that the BBC should look at cutting some of its massive top salaries before picking on those who are facing very real income restrictions at the time when we may need to heat our homes more and can't get out as much, especially in winter. I know some elderly people for whom the television is a Godsend.

If you have ever had to apply for means tested benefits - or helped someone else do it - you will know how hard - verging on impossible - it is unless you really know how to work the system...and most of us don't.

GabriellaG54 Mon 10-Jun-19 20:14:32

IMV, anyone in sheltered accommodation should have pension credit explained to them and help given to apply.
Every older person who has AC or close relatives should be asked by them if they are getting all their entitlements and it should be clearly explained that it isn't charity or something to be ashamed of or embarassed about claiming.
The only people to fall through the gap are older single people who have no close family or relatives.
Perhaps local authorities could support talks in day centres and Hoppa buses could ferry the less able to the venues where tea and biscuits could be offered and a qualified benefits assessor could answer any questions and take the details of people who qualify.
I'm going to suggest that tomorrow when I ring my local council.

grannysyb Mon 10-Jun-19 20:16:47

Means testing is a really bad way of working out who should qualify for benefits. Just make all these a taxable benefit.

moggie57 Mon 10-Jun-19 20:20:08

i doint have a tv anyway. yes i have a tv set ,but no digital ouput etc. i am not paying the fee with all the c**p thats on it. any programme i want to see my brother puts on dvd and i see it a few days later .spring watch live cam is now on youtube.had tv people around my house many times to see that i only have a dvd player.i really dont miss it at all .i like the usa crime programmes but they been put on dvd.

Ginny42 Mon 10-Jun-19 21:10:19

An email arrived today from Tony Hall explaining the BBC made the decision. It explains that if they don't, several channels will have to go. The Government left it to the BBC to decide.

As someone mentioned already, they could cut some of the ludicrously high salaries of some presenters. It's a bigger loss to single people than those with two incomes.

I think it confuses the issue to refer to travel concessions. I don't have any of those because there is no public service where I live.