Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tory Leadership race

(428 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 11-Jun-19 13:03:21

As far as I can see not one of the contenders has a clear plan with regard to Brexit.

Without a plan we can’t move on.

Riverwalk Tue 25-Jun-19 21:56:42

Indeed Lemon, to eat with the red wine to free up the crates!

Seriously, I'm surprised at how bumbling and incoherent he is - suppose I haven't in the past paid much attention to what he's been saying, and now actually trying to concentrate on what he has to say.

M0nica Tue 25-Jun-19 22:02:49

He thought long and hard and blustered with lots of half sentences etc, before he came up with his crate bus. It was clearly a creation of the moment. I expect he might just once have done something similar when one of his children was small - but I bet he never finished it.

Jane10 Tue 25-Jun-19 22:05:41

He'd be a sort of bomb dropped into this whole brexit situation. He'd make something happen, just not sure what!

Callistemon Tue 25-Jun-19 22:48:46

Surely he was winding up the interviewer!
Of course he was taking the proverbial

Johnson and painted buses have history.

Apricity Tue 25-Jun-19 23:25:52

A fairy tale for our times.
Little B was very sad so he climbed into the cardboard bus that he had made with Nanny but it didn't move because the wheels had fallen off - yet again! How else will he get to his new house at No 10? The one with the shiny front door and it's very own policemen to look after him. What can Little B do? Run away and join the circus? He tried that before but they wouldn't have him - his juggling skills, balancing act and backflips were just not up to standard. He even spilt the wine while he was juggling and made his friend cry. Poor Little B. Where is Nanny when he needs her?

Impartialandeducated Wed 26-Jun-19 01:22:08

Is it not rather strange that there is a paucity of people on this site who focus solely on one person in the leadership race. I obviously mistakenly believed that we started with 10 and are now down to 2. Anyone reading this site would assume that there has forever been only 1. I have not seen clarity of policy set out by Mr Hunt yet his campaign goes without mention. Can it be the presence of some sort of personality, the hairstyle, the shirt that seems to hang out assiduously or evev more prejudicial to national security, the fact thst he may have had an argument with his partner! What a shallow lot you are! Apricity, your fairy tale actually goes back decades when the EU (or whatever deflective name was then being used) was sold as a common market for goods and services rather than a dictatorial undemocratic tyranny.

Impartialandeducated Wed 26-Jun-19 03:07:24

Correction: who do not focus........

crystaltipps Wed 26-Jun-19 06:46:09

impartial. I suggest instead of paucity you use the word plethora. The reason why the discussion has focussed on BJ is obvious, he is the one who has been the leader in the polls and in the party, and the media has therefore focused on him. I think you’ll find there was quite a discussion on the merits of Stewart, Gove etc early on before they got knocked out. Hunt is the Ken doll with the air steward look that in many ways is the perfect Tory. Anyone who has worked in the health service hates him, he forgot his wife’s nationality, he is very wealthy etc, other than that he is mr bland. If Hunt was the front runner he’d get more of the gossip. This is not being shallow, it is a reaction to the information we have. Most of us aren’t voting for either of them anyway, so it’s only a discussion of the merits or otherwise of the person who looks likely to be our next pm whether we like it or not.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 26-Jun-19 07:13:34

99.07% don’t get to vote for the next Prime Minister.

0.03% get to vote - who are 70% male 100% white and mostly over the age of 57. I won’t even go into their economic status.

Democratic? I think not.

Callistemon Wed 26-Jun-19 14:58:43

Although the BBC keeps interviewing young females and Asian members of the Tory party for their views on Boris
hmm

Callistemon Wed 26-Jun-19 14:59:19

I have no idea of their economic status either.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 26-Jun-19 16:02:00

Remain 18 points ahead

Drum1234 Wed 26-Jun-19 18:27:16

Jeremy Vine's story about Boris Johnson makes for interesting reading. Shows BJ up for the lazy charlatan he is. reaction.life/jeremy-vine-my-boris-story/

varian Wed 26-Jun-19 18:37:29

Jeremy Vine was quite impressed with BJ's performance on the first occasion, but after the second occasion, he realised the man was a total fraud.

jura2 Wed 26-Jun-19 18:49:59

Thanks for that Drum - wow, how abysmal and incredible sad

Drum1234 Wed 26-Jun-19 18:50:44

Exactly - it shows that the bumbling idiot routine is actually as carefully crafted as any comedian's routine. Off script he has nothing.

travelsafar Wed 26-Jun-19 19:01:51

8Drum1234* this is so funny if it was not so important right now!!!

Callistemon Wed 26-Jun-19 20:47:32

Drum1234 thank you so much for that link! I was laughing all the way through; lazy charlatan yes, but also a genius as JV says:
I realise that I am in the presence of genius.
and
Is this guy for real?

Yes and no.
Hilarious but perhaps we don't want a PM who makes it up as he goes along!

Callistemon Wed 26-Jun-19 20:48:40

or, as that old joke goes:
He should be on the stage, it leaves in half an hour.

Ginny42 Wed 26-Jun-19 21:26:47

Can't see that routine going down well in Brussels. He's certainly real; a real charlatan.

Thank you for the link Drum1234. Can there possibly any more surprises about this man?

Fennel Wed 26-Jun-19 21:46:28

I vaguely remember another thread about him a few years ago. Some people were convinced that he's intellectually brilliant, others disagreed.
He's so childish in many ways - like a self-centred 3 year old in a man's body.
God Help Us!

Impartialandeducated Wed 26-Jun-19 22:35:10

Whitewavemark2...have you been delving into the fairy tales ofApricity. The latest poll of polls from the National Centre for Research polled between 16 and 22 June show a 52/48 split in favour of remain. My maths makes this 4% !!!!!

suziewoozie Wed 26-Jun-19 23:53:20

Has anyone seen the interview with Hunt by Peston where he tries to ambush him by bringing up the death of his sister? Apparently Hunt was 2 when she died and I think she was younger - but whatever I found it a pretty low thing to do and I was impressed with how Hunt handled it. I’m just increasingly horrified at the depths we are sinking to

Grandad1943 Thu 27-Jun-19 08:27:00

Impartialandeducated Quote [What a shallow lot you are! Apricity, your fairy tale actually goes back decades when the EU (or whatever deflective name was then being used) was sold as a common market for goods and services rather than a dictatorial undemocratic tyranny.] End Quote

So, the European Union is a "dictatorial undemocratic tyranny" Impartialandeducated. However just as the rest of this nation, you had an opportunity to vote in the recent European Parliament Elections, so was that ballot dictatorial, undemocratic and tyrannical in your view.

Callistemon Thu 27-Jun-19 11:41:14

Drum will he try that same routine on the EU negotiators?
shock