Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tory Leadership race

(428 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 11-Jun-19 13:03:21

As far as I can see not one of the contenders has a clear plan with regard to Brexit.

Without a plan we can’t move on.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Jun-19 11:53:16

Johnson

No apologise for racist and islamaphobia remarks.

No plan for either Brexit, or anything else.

Lots of flowery rhetoric and bluster, empty of anything.

Urmstongran Wed 12-Jun-19 12:00:41

6 posts on the bounce from you Whitewavemark2 !!
Is this a record?
Or just a stuck one?
?

humptydumpty Wed 12-Jun-19 12:03:42

Ug do you have something constructive to add to this conversation? - or merely sniping?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Jun-19 12:07:05

People really haven’t taken on board that I don’t respond to bitchiness of any kind. That way lies the type of communication that is both unpleasant and sterile.

Urmstongran Wed 12-Jun-19 12:13:51

A mere observation ladies.
?

varian Wed 12-Jun-19 12:16:28

According to George Monboit, "Anyone who wants to be prime minister should have a course of therapy first"

www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/12/prime-minister-therapy

He's got a point!

Urmstongran Wed 12-Jun-19 12:17:48

Just had a giggle here ...
“.... keen Leavers without a dealers ...”

The cocaine ones?
?

Esmerelda Wed 12-Jun-19 12:23:36

Varian I read that article too. I thought the paragraph below was very telling:

"A few years ago, the psychologist Michelle Roya Rad listed the characteristics of good leadership. Among them were fairness and objectivity; a desire to serve society rather than just yourself; a lack of interest in fame and attention; and resistance to the temptation to hide the truth or make impossible promises. Conversely, a paper in the Journal of Public Management and Social Policy has listed the characteristics of leaders with psychopathic, narcissistic or Machiavellian personalities. These include: a tendency to manipulate others; a preparedness to lie and deceive to achieve your ends; a lack of remorse and sensitivity; and a desire for admiration, attention, prestige and status. Which of these lists, do you think, best describes the people vying to lead the Conservative party?"

Food for thought, eh?

Grany Wed 12-Jun-19 12:32:56

Rory Stewart will 'almost certainly' support Labour-initiated cross party motion to prevent parliament being suspended to force through no deal.
Rory will not back the motion.

Tory Rory.

Urmstongran Wed 12-Jun-19 12:33:34

It was unfortunate that I only caught the tail-end of her presentation, but on the BBC this morning, discussing Boris Johnson and Brexit, I heard Laura Kuenssberg sum up in a nutshell the problem any future Tory leader is going to be faced with.

She pointed out that the parliamentary majority in favour of Remain (two-thirds of the Conservatives and almost all of Labour) are going to 'move Heaven and Earth' to stop us leaving the EU.

It's the first time I've heard any major broadcaster spell it out. Changing the Tory leader is only so much window-dressing. The Titanic is already well down by the bow. I only hope the ensuing catfights will strengthen Nigel Farage's voter base.
?

Grany Wed 12-Jun-19 12:35:14

Varian

All of them

JenniferEccles Wed 12-Jun-19 12:49:21

I heard that comment from Laura too Urmstongran

So depressing isn't it?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Jun-19 13:13:07

I think that what LK said was that parliament will move heaven and hell to prevent a no deal not remain.

Anniebach Wed 12-Jun-19 13:18:45

Yes, she said ‘to prevent a no deal’

humptydumpty Wed 12-Jun-19 14:21:01

Thanks for those corrections - what Ug posted was obviously the famous fake news...

MawBroonsback Wed 12-Jun-19 14:29:29

A quick reference to 4 of the main candidates gringrin

Grandad1943 Wed 12-Jun-19 14:30:55

It would seem that several of the candidates for Tory Party leader are admitting to "snorting cocaine" in their past.

Therefore, perhaps the answers to the Brexit debacle they all played a hand in creating will be revealed to the winner of this race by "one good long snort" bringing about a clear graphical Brexit departure picture to be seen in the following Cannabis cloud.

The answer to all our Brexit problems. grin

M0nica Wed 12-Jun-19 15:34:12

Other legislations have fancy all singing dancing legislative chambers with alternative seating arrangements. From the number of times we see pictures in the news of them fighting each other, shouting at each other and generally acting as if it was a bear garden, I cannot see that it would make any difference at all to how Parliament conducted or seated itself.

Has anyone been listening to the Reith lectures? Jonathon Sumption has been talking about the relationship between law and politics. The talks have titles like 'In praise of politics' and 'Law's expanding empire' www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00729d9/episodes/player and the lectures are truly relevant to the dismal state of politics at present, Brexit and the current leadership election.

I think you would find them very interesting Grandad1943

Callistemon Wed 12-Jun-19 16:00:05

She pointed out that the parliamentary majority in favour of Remain (two-thirds of the Conservatives and almost all of Labour) are going to 'move Heaven and Earth' to stop us leaving the EU.
So why on earth did they vote in favour of triggering Article 50?

confused

Callistemon Wed 12-Jun-19 16:02:26

www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/world-35524966/house-of-shame-parliament-brawls-around-the-world

Here are a few brawls, Grandad43 - I wonder how their chambers are designed.
At least with ours they can shout but it's not so easy to climb over the benches for a full-on fisticuffs!

M0nica Wed 12-Jun-19 16:09:09

Thank you for that Callistemon. I was interested to note that the women in these clips were as willing as the men to lay into all and sundry, rather puts a different view on the idea that more women in politics will give us kinder less confrontational politics.

Davidhs Wed 12-Jun-19 16:13:36

Article 50 was triggered because the referendum said so and nobody had the faintest idea what was involved in opening that can of worms.
As for choosing a new PM to push for a no deal exit, parliament is never going to agree to it, he or she will be told to go and get a better deal and probably fail. Followed closely by a vote of no confidence by which time it will be New Year again.
Does Boris and others really believe we will be out by Oct 31st, that’s just election bluster.

crystaltipps Wed 12-Jun-19 16:18:05

Parliament won’t agree to a no deal Brexit, not that it will prevent Brexit. It’s the pro Brexiteers who’ve prevented it so far.

crystaltipps Wed 12-Jun-19 16:19:05

Doris wants to spent £350 million a week giving tax cuts to the wealthy. Let’s see that on the side of a bus.

Grandad1943 Wed 12-Jun-19 16:38:25

Callistemon, in regard to your post @ 16:02 today, the video you use to demonstrate "fights are common" in Parliaments worldwide is made up of countries that in the main have only obtained a democratic system in recent years and therefore no long experience in that as the British Parliament has.

South Africa, Spain, Japan were three of the countries featured, and all have escaped from the yoke of extream right-wing regimes in the not too distant past, while another country featured only emerged as a nation on the collapse of the Soviet Union.

Therefore in the light of the number of Parliaments there are in existence worldwide, and the relatively short history those displayed have, I believe that the UK Parliament remains in "a poor light" for its behaviour between members of the House of Commons.

Further In the above, many see the British Parliament as the "Mother of Democracy." Therefore this country should be setting an example of how reasoned debate can be carried out under a democratic system but sadly that has not been the case in recent times with Parliaments MPs engaged in continuous poor behaviour.