Gransnet forums

News & politics

Preparing for No Deal

(195 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Wed 12-Jun-19 17:39:03

Well it seems that this is firmly back on the table, which will thrill some and horrify others.

What does no deal mean though?

It means leaving on the 31 October and beginning at ground zero. We will immediately enter WTO rules in all our trading activities throughout the world which means we will have to comply with our WTO schedule listing the tariffs with which we must comply.
We have said that we wouldn’t charge tariffs on most goods coming from the EU, but I am unclear how we could apply that rule to just the EU as surely we must comply with the most favoured nation, which means we must apply the same standards to every country?
However, our businesses who export will have tariffs imposed on their products making them less competitive than other businesses who trade under various trade agreements. Many farmers are expected to go out of business and where possible other businesses will move to the EU. We are seeing this process already.
The EU will of course immediately set up checks at the border.

varian Thu 20-Jun-19 19:52:34

Chancellor Philip Hammond: No-deal Brexit could break up the UK

news.sky.com/story/chancellor-philip-hammond-no-deal-brexit-could-break-up-the-uk-11745269

Labaik Sat 15-Jun-19 20:27:57

If your life is pretty rubbish and you have a choice between eating an apple or a Mars bar you choose the Mars bar [I know I would...].

Elvive Sat 15-Jun-19 20:13:48

Those of you who pop to Waitrose or call in at your local Farm shop obviously know nothing of life on limited means.

How dare you preach about obesity and home cooked meals?
Clearly you have no idea of the lives of many many people.Decent people in sink estates, miles away from shops, poor local transport,depression, no hope, no nothing. God it's so sad.

Nico97 Sat 15-Jun-19 19:52:36

Healthy food isn't more expensive. It just requires more time and effort in the preparation of it - which a lot of lazy people aren't prepared to do. It's much easier to buy ready made/fast food, which is invariably more expensive and nowhere near as tasty !

GabriellaG54 Sat 15-Jun-19 19:37:11

DillytheGardener
It's total nonsense to say that healthy food is more expensive.
Vegetables, fruit and fish (tinned or fresh fish) pasta, mince made into a chilli meal, spinach and feta pie, Spanish omelette, baked potatoes with chilli mince and grated cheese or tuna mayo filling.
Most supermarkets have own make pasta and sauces which can be served with a side salad, if liked.
Fish fingers, peas carrots and potato wedges can be easily made (the wedges)
Home made burgers in toasted buns with a sliced tomato, onion and cheese.
I can't believe that unhealthy food is cheaper.

Elvive Sat 15-Jun-19 18:09:30

Yes, I quite understand about the blue threads. Luckily you can google it yourself.

Probably Francesca question Time, will get you to it.

Have a look, anyhow I have enjoyed your jolly jape because nobody could actually believed that nonsense.

Firecracker123 Sat 15-Jun-19 12:32:49

Elvive I don't click on any blue threads (or whatever they are called) in case they contain viruses.

I'm sorry ladies my observations when out and about is that people are getting fatter. The UK is the fattish nation in Europe.

As for children going to school hungry that's down to the parents how much does a bowl of cornflakes cost or toast and jam, just excuses because they can't be bothered.

As for my views being responsible for all the ills in Parliament don't be rediculous I have one vote the same as you.

Elvive Sat 15-Jun-19 11:49:11

www.facebook.com/leftbible/videos/2282399825308855/UzpfSTUwMDgxODk3NToxMDE1ODQ5MjMyMjU3ODk3Ng/?comment_id=10158494030138976¬if_id=1560582988141285¬if_

Firecracker, I see now you are having a little joke with us all. You don't really believe that do you!! Tee hee, how naughty you are winding us all up. Just incase , I am posting something for you...

Gonegirl Sat 15-Jun-19 11:39:03

Tuppence that post was tongue in cheek. Didn't you realise? hmm

Tuppence15 Sat 15-Jun-19 11:09:13

Well Gonegirl, clearly you do not live in Northern
Ireland. They are not an item to be given back to the Irish. They are part of the U.K. They are already ignored by the government and now treated as a problem by the rest of the U.K. over Brexit. They have already been told that extra car insurance paperwork will be needed just to visit family a few miles down the road and if their are border controls presumably will need a passport as well.

Alexa Sat 15-Jun-19 10:56:31

Personally, apart from the dog's food, I am preparing to be vegetarian and have already cut out animal muscle tissue. Dairy is more difficult, but I have adopted oat drink to substitute for cow milk.

GillT57 Sat 15-Jun-19 10:50:04

firecracker. You and your views are why we face the prospect of a selfish liar for PM. You have no understanding no empathy no comprehension. What a smug selfish little world you live in.

Magsymoo Sat 15-Jun-19 10:47:46

What an ignorant thing to say. So people go to food banks for a day out do they? Teachers are feeding hungry children when they arrive at school. Some people only see what they want to see.

Firecracker123 Sat 15-Jun-19 10:06:19

I meant every word I posted I was replying to Elvive's post about people going hungry. My observations are people are fatter than ever so how can they be hungry, food is food whether its healthy or not a McDonald's will fill you up just as much as a fillet steak from a posh restaurant.

DillytheGardener Sat 15-Jun-19 09:50:13

Also I voted Brexit, but some of the nasty, racist, classist views that have been aired by Brexit supporters have totally put me off. I’m not sure i’d vote the same way given another vote.

DillytheGardener Sat 15-Jun-19 09:48:15

Firecracker what an awful thing to say. I hope you don’t actually mean that. And also we all know that poverty presents itself in a different way than it did a hundred years ago. Healthy food is expensive, and unhealthy food high in calories is cheap, so please don’t use weight to define poverty. I’m slim but I don’t judge others on their weight. Would you say this in real life? Or only behind the safety of your keyboard? Please remember there are grans from all different weights and backgrounds on this site.

Firecracker123 Sat 15-Jun-19 09:30:10

Well when I've been out and about all the people I see look well fed to me, too well fed, more overweight people than thin ones especially youngish women.

Elvive Fri 14-Jun-19 18:58:40

Agreed. You can only keep people broke and hungry for so long.

Magsymoo Fri 14-Jun-19 18:53:59

Don't be so quick to write off project fear - we've not left yet. Since June 2016 this country has not been governed. Everything has revolved around Brexit even though nothing has been achieved. In the meantime education, health, social care, crime, prisons, probation, housing, homelessness, everything is being ignored. That seems pretty fearful to me already.

Urmstongran Fri 14-Jun-19 18:41:53

Nope. I didn’t say it was sensible not to plan for No Deal.
I’m just very surprised businesses haven’t done so. Seems weird. Then again parliament took No Deal off the table for a few months and it’s back on now. Preparations will be stepped up accordingly I imagine.

crystaltipps Fri 14-Jun-19 18:21:37

Ok so you are now saying it’s sensible not to do anything as no deal is going to be so marvellous. So why are the government spending millions trying to persuade businesses to make plans?

Urmstongran Fri 14-Jun-19 18:14:26

I agree Firecracker123

We will be up to DEFCON.1 before you know it!

Firecracker123 Fri 14-Jun-19 18:07:05

Project Fear stepped upto high alert I see will be upto critical by the end of next week. The smears the dire warnings we've heard it all before and take no notice now, well the sensible ones among us don't.

Urmstongran Fri 14-Jun-19 18:05:13

I don’t regard it as ‘the worst’ varian

Business does - which is why I’m surprised that they’re not preparing for it.

varian Fri 14-Jun-19 18:03:22

Why UG? are you admitting that a no-deal brexit is "the worst"?

Most of the UK population have understood for a long time now that the best possible outcome is to stop brexit.