Gransnet forums

News & politics

Chuka Umunna

(125 Posts)
Anniebach Thu 13-Jun-19 22:12:59

Is joining the Liberal Party

Jane10 Fri 14-Jun-19 14:50:52

I agree. The Labour Party left a lot of people!

pinkquartz Fri 14-Jun-19 14:51:15

GG13 thank you.......I should have realised

Desdemona Fri 14-Jun-19 14:56:12

I don't know too much about him. I remember he was running for Labour Party leadership then dropped out for personal reasons, joined Change Uk and now the Liberals. He seems rather quick to jump ship.

Anniebach Fri 14-Jun-19 15:12:28

He was a Labour MP for 9 years , then left the party, hardly quick to jump .

Loislovesstewie Fri 14-Jun-19 15:44:27

He's shot himself in the foot. I don't think he will be elected as a LibDem in a safe Labour seat. I wonder where he will go then?

Anniebach Fri 14-Jun-19 15:50:21

could anyone take a safe labour seat ?

Day6 Fri 14-Jun-19 15:57:18

I imagine the LIb Dems will become the new home for Remainer MPs, Ummuna being the first to move parties. I expect the awful Anna Soubry, despite all her positive clap-trap regarding Change UK will end up there. Heidi Allen next? hmm

They are all covering their backs (surprise, surprise) as they stand no chance in the next GE as independents or Change party politicians.

quizqueen Fri 14-Jun-19 15:59:40

Chuka needs to do the decent thing and resign his seat and stand as a candidate in a by-election for whatever party he fancies being in that week. He was elected as a Labour MP, not as an Independent or for Change UK and certainly not for the Liberal party.

Day6 Fri 14-Jun-19 16:05:20

In the above, where are the principles, where is the belief, where is any strength of character? For me, Chuka TheMoaner typifies everything that is wrong in British political circles

I am with you on that Grandad

I see Ummuna as being one who is looking after his own interests. I do not vote Labour any longer, but I have always preferred people with the courage of their convictions, bot blow with the wind type politiciaans who cannot be trusted. (Sadly, Corbyn has ditched his long held beliefs over the EU. I find that strange. I'd have liked him more and perhaps even admired him, if he'd remained true to his Eurosceptic self.)

Umanna has proved to be a self-serving disappointment too.

M0nica Fri 14-Jun-19 16:17:04

But Chuka Ummuna has had the courage of his convictions. That is why he has ceased to be the poster boy for the Labour Party, singled out as a possible future Prime Minister and has left that party and now joined the Lib Dems

How joining the Lib Dems can be described as looking after his own interests perhaps Day6 could explain. As I pointed out in a previous post If he was really -ambitious-^looking after his own interests ^he would now be a fully committed Corbynista, brown nosing Len McLuskey for everything he could get

EllanVannin Fri 14-Jun-19 16:20:46

He hasn't written that, it's been doctored !!

Urmstongran Fri 14-Jun-19 16:24:59

Vince Cable said Chukka can stand in his constituency (safe LibDem) as he himself is stepping down for retirement in a few weeks.

EllanVannin Fri 14-Jun-19 16:29:43

It would never have got past the eagle-eyed media if he'd written that and there'd have been a big hue and cry over it like there is with everything that appears, especially from those in the public eye.

It's easy to superimpose/ enhance something when you know how.

M0nica Fri 14-Jun-19 16:31:11

Who hasn't written what?

Irishlady Fri 14-Jun-19 16:32:04

If I were a life long labour voter from Streatham I would feel so angry with this man. I would have been voting for the labour party in an election not the man. This is the second time he has changed parties without thinking how this effects his constituents who are now represented by a Liberal Democratic. All I can say is bring on the next general election. Who knows though, by then he may have decided to join the Greens or even the Tories.

M0nica Fri 14-Jun-19 16:41:57

*Irish lady, I would never vote for a party without considering the candidate himself.

All political parties are what they call broad churches, or should be. They encompass a wide variety of opinions but all linked by a shared political philosophy. I would not vote for a candidate whose views were antithetic to mine just because he/she waved a specifically coloured rosette. It horrifies me that so many people vote so unthinkingly.

Ilovecheese Fri 14-Jun-19 16:42:50

Changeuk has never been called Change.org and is not called that now. Change.org is a separate organisation altogether who did not like the Tigs for appropriating the name.

EllanVannin Fri 14-Jun-19 18:06:20

Probably some nerd on Twitter,Monica. The writing would depict so.

EllanVannin Fri 14-Jun-19 18:08:17

12.59 post, Monica posted by GrannyGravy.

Grandad1943 Fri 14-Jun-19 18:55:56

Callistemon Quote [Grandad perhaps the Labour party left him, rather than he left the party. It has happened to so many other people, unfortunately.]End Quote.

Callistemon, there is I feel much truth in what you state above. What many people do not realise is that the Labour Party of today is very different in its organisational structure from the time when Tony Blair headed the then all powerful Parliamentary Labour party, with the broader Labour movement being totally ignored and forgotten.

In the above, it was the lay activists within that broader Labour movement that resolved following the loss of the General Election in 2010 that their primary efforts would be placed into bringing the Parliamentary Labour Party back into the broader movement and answerable to it. Many of those lay activists were (and still are) trade union Branch Secretaries, chairman and workplace union or safety reps with branch funding at their disposal.

In places, those persons directly stepped up their activities within the constituency, regional and district Labour parties, while in other areas they became the first roots nationally of Momentum by way of the Unite Union Community Branches. Their efforts took a number of years to bring about real change, but in 2015 following the election of Jeremy Corbyn he along with others brought forward rule changes that allowed the Broader Labour movement much better representation within the Labour party. That change gave those lay activists Elected Seats on the National Executive Committee and far greater representation at the Annual Party Conference.

I have often met trade union activists such as the above while tutoring on workplace Safety Courses at Unite and GMB offices around the Country. They are people who fight battles every week while representing members in workplaces nationally, and in that very often losing, but always picking themselves up and moving on to the next fight. Those people have no time for career politicians such as the likes of Chuka Umunna and other "moaners" in the Parliamentary Party.

In their eyes of all the above, the changes in the movement have been democratically voted through and should be accepted by all. Those who do not like those changes can if they wish constitutionally fight their corner from within the movement/party, but just "standing on the sidelines moaning" will never be acceptable to them, and it is their opinions that matter in the Labour Party of today.

So, when the Labour Party constitutionally and structurally changed Chuka TheMoaner would not consider changing with it, or remaining to fight those changes. That turned out to be poor judgment on his part. However, he now seems to have made a habit of making "poor judgments" since resigning from the Labour Movement.

Anniebach Fri 14-Jun-19 20:04:35

Governments since 1945

Labour. - 1945. 1951

Tory. 1951. 1964

Labour. 1964. 1970

Tory. 1970. 1974

Labour. 1974. 1979

Tory. 1979. 1997

Labour. 1997. 2010

Tory. 2010. ?

Note the 70’s. When the unions ruled the Labour Party.

This is what Corbyn, McClusky , granddad1943 wants to
return to

M0nica Fri 14-Jun-19 20:14:04

I have always assumed it was McClusky held the whip handle and Corbyn is his tool, or should I say glove puppet because McCluskeys hand is up........ No, no,no, no, how could I think something like that. shock

Anniebach Fri 14-Jun-19 20:33:32

MOnica. Corbyn will give the same powers ,pre 1979,
back to the unions , but I doubt this is what McClusky wants,
surely not. ?

Grandad1943 Fri 14-Jun-19 21:11:04

Anniebach, in regard to your post @ 20:04 today (14/06/19) then I feel you should read my post @ 18:55 today thoroughly before you comment on it.

I was in that post outlining to Callistemon and others how I believe the Labour party has changed structurally and constitutionally since 2010 and nowhere in that post did I state if I personally agreed with those changes or not.

Therefore your statement that I wish to witness the Parliamentary Labour Party return to a historical position and structure of any previous period certainly cannot be drawn from that posting.

The only time I gave any personal comment anywhere in that post was in the last paragraph where I commented on Chuka TheMoaner resigning from the Labour movement. grin

jura2 Fri 14-Jun-19 21:29:29

Grandad, ChukaTheMoaner - really - you don't usually fly that low ...

He, like 1000s of Labour Voters who see Brexit has a massive damaging blow to the UK, and to the poorest individuals, and the already hardest hit communities - feel that JC's sitting on that fence and anti EU stance - feel bereft and politically orphaned. He had no choice but to go to fight for remain, as he understands that there is no deal out there that will allow the UK to (yes, I know, I am repeating it again) to have our cake and eat it, with unicorns- and without FMOP and other responsibilities.

Should they sit and watch until JC supports the Tories, actively or passively, chuck us all into No Deal. Really?

Is that what you really want?