Gransnet forums

News & politics

Channel 4 debate

(180 Posts)
Anja Mon 17-Jun-19 06:49:56

If that load of idiots is the best that’s in offer for the next PM then ‘We’re Doomed!’.

Fennel Wed 19-Jun-19 18:47:12

He sounds like he's started the apperos too early.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 19-Jun-19 18:42:14

maxcatt you are providing minutes of entertainment. ?? are you for real?

GillT57 Wed 19-Jun-19 18:33:20

When I read your ill supported, offensive rant maxdecatt I realised just why we are in the mess we are in. You are fueled with hatred, anger and extremely rude dismissal of anyone who doesn't (a) hero worship Farage and (b) wishes to see the country destroyed by Brexit. If you are so certain that this really is the answer, why are you so afraid of the question being asked again?

MaizieD Wed 19-Jun-19 18:27:32

Very unilluminating, maxdecatt.

Your rant says absolutely nothing.

Can you give us some examples, please?

maxdecatt Wed 19-Jun-19 18:03:30

MaizieD: The world would be a very bland place is we are all are forced to be PC on pain of prosecution, ostracised by the PC brigade, hounded from our jobs, shunned by all simp;ly because we have a brain of our own. With all the noise created by the anti-everything brigade the UK is pretty much that way already. It is called brainwashing...something beloved of dictatorships. Would you prefer to live in a dictatorship or be free to express your thoughts? Maybe you like your life to be run for you..... or is the truth actually that you like to run the lives of others and force them to think like you do.
In short, an enthusiastic supporter of fascism...... would that be your nirvana? Why do you think Eastern Europe threw off the shackles of communism? Did you cry tears of rage when people decided to think for themselves? Do tell us, we are all waiting to hear you declare your support and love for dictators.

MaizieD Wed 19-Jun-19 16:53:47

^ So it is logical that registration is proof of legality and therefore acceptability.^

Acceptability is another value judgement. Registration is purely proof that the 'party' is able to satisfy the legal requirements of the PPER Act.

I was, actually, supporting your statement to a certain extent. There's no point in trying to belittle the BP as 'merely a Limited company'. But there is also no point in trying to big it up with value laden terms such as 'legitimacy' and 'acceptability'.

Anyway, a number of us, are, I believe, agog to know what it is that NF says that is non PC and no-one else dares to say. Do tell us.

maxdecatt Wed 19-Jun-19 13:55:36

Dinahmo: The uncomfortable truth for remainers is that we live in our denocracy where (even one as wonky as ours is) the party that wins the most votes is the winner. So, to use your weasel words that drip with anger, "The fact is" the Brexit Party won hands down...and do remember that they won in a not first past the post election....the EU election was by proportional representation. Something the LibDems have wanted for years. For that reason the LibDems did quite well in the number of seats they won....but nowhere near as many as the Brexit Party that, as a party, polled the largest number of votes by far....and thus won the largest number of seats as legally awarded under PA voting. Proving the point that in UK parliamentary elections (if run on the PA system) they would trounce all the others and Farage would be Prime Minister. I imagine the LibDems will not be so insistent on PA voting once they digest that fact. I fully expect some replies will argue the toss, but to them I say, "You cannot have your cake and eat it".

Dinahmo Wed 19-Jun-19 12:30:33

Here we go again - millions of people supported the Brexit Party; beating every other party etc etc. The fact is that the pro Remain parties out performed Brexit and UKIP.

varian Wed 19-Jun-19 12:26:00

At last Maxd you've posted something I can agree with

Fennel Wed 19-Jun-19 12:06:26

From what I've heard of it, it was more of a shouting match than a debate.

humptydumpty Wed 19-Jun-19 11:53:51

Can I re-direct posters to the thread specifically about last night's debate? or important points on both will not be read:

'BBC the next prime minister'

Alexa Wed 19-Jun-19 11:26:28

Emily Maittlis certainly had a difficult job to do. I did wonder why the stage was set with these inelegant bar stools. They favoured Rory the only contender with nice long legs.

maxdecatt Wed 19-Jun-19 10:58:49

VARIAN. The Brexit Broadacasting Corporation is guilty of many things, but impartial;ity is not one of them.
The debaye on BBC 1 last night was a prime example. Emily Mathis (?) was supposed to moderate, but all she did was interrupt and steer the so-called debate in the direction she wanted. Why did the candidate meekly sit on those bar stools. Any politician that knows how to address an audience would have stood up and used his full range of gestures and stance. Instead of which they sat like naughty children while Aunbt Emily berated them.

maxdecatt Wed 19-Jun-19 10:52:11

MaizieD: Cut it any way you like. To be registererd as a political party is a legal requirement. So it is logical that registration is proof of legality and therefore acceptability.

Urmstongran Wed 19-Jun-19 10:32:43

I liked this:

“Catnip to Twitter millennials, Rory is paraquat to Tory members.”

MaizieD Wed 19-Jun-19 10:31:32

you need to understand that the Electoral Commission recognises that the Brexit Party is a legitimate political party....

In order to register as a political party the applicants have to comply with certain regulations, set out here in the Political Parties, Elections and Referendums Act 2000.

www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2000/41/part/II/crossheading/preliminary-requirements

They look perfectly simple to comply with. Registration is not a 'seal of approval' or evidence of the applicant's suitability to 'be' a political party. It's just a legal process.

It certainly is not evidence of a party's 'legitimacy'. That is a value judgement. The Electoral Commission does not make value judgements, it merely ensures that parties comply with the law, both when they register and in their subsequent actions as a political party.

I have to say that it's not worth pushing the 'it's just a Limited Company' angle in debate. I believe that other parties have Limited Companies, too.

varian Wed 19-Jun-19 10:30:34

The fraudulent referendum was a corruption of democracy for many reasons. It was ill-concieved and won by lies and cheating. It is true that about 17m out of a population of 66m voted leave but many believed what we now know to be lies and regret being fooled.

Three years later we have learned a great deal and leaving has not been the "will of the people" for a very long time.

Far too many politicians interviewed by the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation are allowed to get away with telling lies like "everyone just wants us to deliver brexit". We don't. We just want to stop brexit before any more damage is done to our country.

Isn't it strange that those who are so sure that they know what the "will of the people" is are so afraid of another vote?

maxdecatt Wed 19-Jun-19 10:02:50

Eleothan: You ask about policies of the Brexit Party. The party was set up in a hurry to fight the unexpected EU elections. They did that very effectively..... beating EVERY other party..... all of which had "policies" that they change on the hoof if they see a shift in the wind. This time they were asleep at the helm and suffered the consequences. Do you really want any of them at the helm as we steer away from the EU? If so you have a death wish. For general elections political groups publish manifestos, a cobbled together list of small lies, outright lies, white lies and plain old porkies.. Not worth the paper they are written on, but enough to fool the gullible voting sheep. Remember that Tory and Labour swore blind we would leave the EU on 29th March....and then failed to deliver. Was that not a policy? The policy of the LibDems is clear ..... and totally undemocratic. ""Stop Brexit" is their strident cry....never mind that they call themselves the LiberalDEMOCRATIC party. How can you call yourself democratic and then declare publicly that you will not respect the democratic vote of the electorate? Remember the GDR? (The German DEMOCRATIC Republic of East Germany) A prime example of using a mantle of democracy to force uopn the people the complete opposite. It is a fact that those that protest their democratic credentials are the least likely to be democratic.

maxdecatt Wed 19-Jun-19 09:36:36

Varian. What would you prefer....that Farage remained UKIP and was tainted with policies he disagreed with....or leave and startt something fresh? To go from zero to top of the votes in about three months must tell you something.... the Brexit Party is the future. As to the "private companyt" jibe, you need to understand that the Electoral Commission recognises that the Brexit Party is a legitimate political party....not a front for those with the intention of reducing te UK to a state called "Venezulean". I guess you can work out which party is wanting that.

Eloethan Wed 19-Jun-19 09:24:53

He got out only recently - when UKIP began to be associated with Tommy Robinson. He's canny enough to know that associating with a convicted football hooligan and criminal doesn't set quite the right tone for the majority of the population.

He may have a "clear sighted vision" in respect of getting out of the EU but a party that appears to have only one objective - and no policies with regard to what happens after such aim is achieved - doesn't seem to be a sensible choice, even if you like the man, which I don't. Previous comments from him with regard to the NHS and privatisation might give some indication as to the sort of vision he has for the future and, in my opinion, it's not a good one.

Elvive Wed 19-Jun-19 09:14:32

I see where you are coming from mad.

Economic problems, the end of traditional industries, a widening gap between rich and poor, dissatisfaction and disillusionment with so called leaders......immigrants a handy scapegoat and up pops NF, man of the people/tells it how it is, organises rallies, seizes power from those too weak and stupid to see what's going on under their noses.....seems familiar.

varian Wed 19-Jun-19 08:44:17

The loons in UKIP were actually party members who were allowed to vote for policies, candidates, party leader as is normal in a democratic political party.

This did not suit liar Farage when he did not always get his own way so he left and set up the so called " Brexit Party" which is not a party but a private company which he controls,

The same loons paid money to become "supporters" who have no say. How stupid would you have to be?????

maxdecatt Wed 19-Jun-19 00:13:06

Yes, UKIP was home to some loons, a lot of loons. Farage saw the way it was going and got out. He only started the Brexit Party because he saw how the parliamentarians were messing about with no intention of delivering Brexit. At least Farage has a clear-sighted vision .....and millions of voters aupported him last month. The Tories, Labour, et al are running scared. The cosy club of "you scratch my back and I scratch your back" sees the writing on the wall. Boris is angling for an electoral pact with the Brexit Party and Farage has said no. The clock is ticking.....on the countdown to the premiership of Farage.

Eloethan Tue 18-Jun-19 23:46:43

maxdecatt Your analysis of where the "truly rabid" might be found is intriguing - Corbynistas, Momentum, Lib Dems, Greens, any National/Nationalistic movement.

I think you might find there are some pretty "rabid" admirers of Farage. I recall a "fly on the wall" documentary about UKIP a few years ago and some of his supporters made the most outrageously racist remarks whilst at the same time claiming "I'm not a racist".

We're already some way forward, and gathering speed, on the "headlong destruction of Britain" - and it wasn't caused by Labour.

Iam64 Tue 18-Jun-19 22:07:40

Ok maybe we should have a thread on “what I want to say but I’m stopped by the pc brigade”. Honestly, give us a break