Gransnet forums

News & politics

By Election

(104 Posts)
Anniebach Fri 21-Jun-19 22:21:28

Brecon and Radnor . The Tory MP out.

Be most jnteresting, always been Tory, Labour, Libs. This time Brexit Party too.

varian Fri 02-Aug-19 14:46:24

Tory MPs could cross the floor without joining Labour. They could join the Liberal Democrats or sit as independents. What matters is that could no longer be relied upon to support the Tory government.

Anniebach Fri 02-Aug-19 14:26:35

I doubt a Tory MP would cross the floor to join the far left.

POGS Fri 02-Aug-19 14:05:42

growstuff

"Sheffield Hallam is currently a Labour seat."
-

Jared O'Mara sits as an Independent as we was kicked out of Labour.

growstuff Fri 02-Aug-19 14:04:15

Nonnie, What I meant was that if the LDs win Sheffield Hallam from Labour, the Conservatives will still have a majority of one.

It's the way rebels from both Conservatives and Labour vote which will make a difference for the next few months.

POGS Fri 02-Aug-19 14:00:16

Congratulations to the Lib Dems and they will win the Sheffield Hallem by-election coming up due to the booted out of Labour MP Jared O'Mara resigning. To be fair it was a travesty the Lib Dems lost to him in the first place given his history.

I am however on records as saying I dislike the use of ' Pacts' and ' Tactical Voting ' irrespective of the political combination left/center/right.

How does the party/parties involved give their Core Voter / Member the opportunity to have their say if they do not stand?

How will PR help their Core Voter / Member if they do not stand?

If the one issue on the table is REMAIN why not form a Party of coalition to fight a General Election if the Brexit Referendum result has not been honoured?

Mind you Plaid Cymru is all about Welsh Independence and the Lib Dems (at the last time of speaking) were pro the Union, hence saying no (hypocritical) to Scotland having a 2nd Referendum

MaizieD Fri 02-Aug-19 12:39:34

There are plenty of rumours of one or more tory MPs being ready to cross the floor...

Anniebach Fri 02-Aug-19 12:37:51

Yes Maizie I changed my mind and voted Lib, for no other reason than I felt guilty not voting , I was voting against Corbyn, if Plaid had stood I would have voted Plaid.

MaizieD Fri 02-Aug-19 12:36:55

I have to agree with you, Jabberrwock shock that running Davis did seem to be a very silly move on the part of the tories.

Nonnie Fri 02-Aug-19 12:36:32

Growstuff of course it will make a difference to the Conservative majority. As of today they have a majority of 1, if they lose another seat they won't have a majority. I suspect that will be when a vote of no confidence is triggered. Unfortunately I doubt it will be before halloween.

MaizieD Fri 02-Aug-19 12:34:15

True, Annie, but this PM has taken on the role assuming/pretending that the whole country wants Brexit.

This result seems to indicate that he doesn't command as much of a following as he would like.

The more I think about it, the more inconclusive it seems. Though I'm very glad that Johnson has lost a parliamentary seat.

Did you vote. Annie? I know you said earlier that you didn't think you would.

Jabberwok Fri 02-Aug-19 12:30:58

Hardly surprising the Conservatives lost! Re-running Chris Davies was clearly ridiculous which has now been proved. You really do begin to wonder!!

Anniebach Fri 02-Aug-19 12:25:03

No PM had Brexit to deal with

varian Fri 02-Aug-19 12:10:09

No Prime Minister has lost a seat held by his party so soon after becoming PM since 1908!

Callistemon Fri 02-Aug-19 12:06:42

The message is not at all clear, whitewave.

If you add together the Conservative and Brexit votes they out-number the Lib Dem votes which may have included some from the Greens and Plaid.

It's all very interesting anyway.

Anniebach Fri 02-Aug-19 10:30:03

19% petitioned to recall Chris Davies, I thought it would have been higher so he did still have support

Callistemon Fri 02-Aug-19 10:15:35

I don't know why they did that confused

Anniebach Fri 02-Aug-19 10:08:23

If the conservatives had chosen a different candidate they may have won.

Callistemon Fri 02-Aug-19 09:54:22

Yes - two messages in fact.
The second message is that the Labour Party under Corbyn and his gang is a dead duck.

Or possibly three messages - the voters of Brecon do not want an MP who cheats on expenses.
It would have been a more interesting contest if the party had chosen a different candidate.

Grammaretto Fri 02-Aug-19 09:38:24

Wow!! That is some turn up for lib dems. Could they? Will they? Cancel BJ's tiny majority?
Roll on the next bi-election.
Well done to the new MP.
Democracy is alive and well in Wales at least.

Anniebach Fri 02-Aug-19 09:24:15

Labour didn’t even get the Ystradgynlais vote

annodomini Fri 02-Aug-19 09:16:20

A relief when I heard the news this morning. Surely Labour is going to get the message sooner rather than later that Corbyn's election was a big mistake and the subsequent euphoria an illusion.
Always by-election experts, let's hope the Lib Dems will have continued success in a general election.

varian Fri 02-Aug-19 08:56:49

This morning the Libdem win in the selection was the first item on the LBC news, but not on BBC.

You can be pretty sure that if the Conservatives or Brexit Party had won it would have been the top item on every news bulletin put out by the Brexit Broadcasting Corporation.

growstuff Fri 02-Aug-19 08:39:35

Sheffield Hallam is currently a Labour seat. The LDs stand a very good chance of regaining it, but it won't make any difference to the Tories' majority.

MaizieD Fri 02-Aug-19 08:39:05

Almost 60% turnout. Very good for a by-election.

Anniebach Fri 02-Aug-19 08:33:22

The conservative vote down 9.6

Labour vote. down. 12.4