Gransnet forums

News & politics

Tory Islamophobia

(67 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Tue 25-Jun-19 17:08:57

I believe that they intend to have an independent enquiry into this

t.co/IxjHmb2bJR

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Jul-19 12:11:28

Who is likely to benefit from not holding an enquiry?

Boris Johnson

Micheal Gove

Zak Goldsmith

eazybee Tue 02-Jul-19 13:05:01

In your opinion.
And only Conservative politicians swear?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Jul-19 13:16:02

The MCB has called for an independent enquiry, this call has been backed up by George Osborne, Baron Mohammed Sheikh and Mohamed Amin.

The allegations against the three above were made by the MCB and many other organisations eazybee. I do not make those sort of allegations without evidence.

Baroness Warsi stated that Islamaphobia in the Tory party is poisonous.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Jul-19 14:10:17

Ilamophobia seems to back decades in the Tory party. You could argue that it is endemic within the party.

Former Prime minister Thatcher was accused of Islamophobia by Saki Badawi the chairman of the Mosque Council after her remarks over the 2001 bombings.

M0nica Tue 02-Jul-19 14:31:07

Talking about pots calling the kettle black. Talk to many rank and file Labour members and they are as Islamophobic as any Conservative.

The reason all Nigel Farage's parties get so many votes from across the political spectrum, apart from supporting Brexit, is the essentially fascist, racist and Islamophobic ideas that ride behind it. This has never been more clear than in the crumbling of UKIP and the speed with which, after Farage left, the extreme right policies of so many of its members came to the fore.

Labour and Conservative voters have left to follow these parties because they long to be white supremacists again.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Jul-19 14:39:01

monica I’m a wee bit puzzled by your statement about pot calling the kettle black, who do you mean?

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Jul-19 15:30:03

When Johnson was running for mayor he was advised by Lyton Crosby a Tory party activist.

Crosby told Johnson to ignore the “fucking Muslims” in his campaign.

Whitewavemark2 Tue 02-Jul-19 19:44:10

Johnson remark about letterboxes and bank robbers, prompted a number of anti-Muslim remarks on his Facebook page made by Tory members and councillors.

Johnson anti Muslim sentiments were also linked to the far right in Europe, and the MCB accused Johnson of pandering to the far right.

Fabricant also tweeted a cartoon character of Sadiq Khan having sex with a pig. Despite huge representation and concern over the matter nothing was ever done and Fabricant simply walked away from the disgusting tweet.

M0nica Tue 02-Jul-19 21:04:57

Labour and Conservatives slagging each other off .Like children in a play ground
'You're more anti-semitic than me-e'
'You're more Islamaphobic than me-e'

Pots calling kettles black anyway round you want it, if you are worried about the black, take any other colour of your choice in its place. The saying will sound daft, but we will let that rest.

Anyway, to quote Shakespeare - 'a plague on both their house'. They are both as bad as each other.

Grandad1943 Wed 03-Jul-19 07:09:00

As has been stated, racism is all around us in the society we live in, and at times within each and every one of us. However, it is how individuals and organisations deal with those thoughts and challenges that determine what they are in terms of controlling racism, and the respect (or not) that they command.

Of course, some will only see racism where they wish to find it, and in that deny it exists where they do not wish to find it. Those persons in their attitudes are the most destructive to any society, as that can be highly divisive as history has so often shown us.

Both our leading political parties have those who hold racist bigotry within their membership and all those in executive positions should make every effort to eradicate those persons from membership of the party.

For the Labour Party/movement that is an enormous challenge due to the sheer size of its membership. However, in the Conservative Party with a much smaller number, we witness persons being expelled due to their outright Islamophobic statements and then re-admitted just days or weeks later.

We also have in the Tory Party the potential future Prime Minister of our society stating that Muslim women wearing their religions headdress as looking like "letterboxes."

The above is hardly a discouragement to others in that party to curb their racist views.

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jul-19 07:52:15

monica thank you for your explanation. And yes I see your point entirely which is why I have largely held off from the debate. However, the thread relating to the Labour Party has been running now in its various guises for 2 years and I thought it was time to try to bring some balance.

I can quite easily with examples from as far back as 1834 to the present day give miriad examples of Tory anti-Semitism as well as undoubtedly a thread giving examples of Labour islamaphobia.

But what is needed is balance. Obsessing on one area simply doesn’t do that, and it seems unfair and gives an entirely false picture of the true state of racism in the UK today.

Johno Wed 03-Jul-19 11:51:00

Great. I might vote Tory.

jura2 Wed 03-Jul-19 12:39:21

Do you mean that you are openly Islamophobic Johno?

BTW, we all base part of our opinion on our own experiences- and of course, those are not necessarily reflective of the reality out there. But, here goes- I don't personally know of a single Labour supporter who is anti-semitic. All the Conservatives I know personally are, to a small or very large extent, Islamophobic.

M0nica Wed 03-Jul-19 14:19:14

I do not think I know the political allegiance of a single one of my friends, although I might hazard a guess.

jura2 Wed 03-Jul-19 14:41:49

who is talking about political allegiance here?

Surely your friends make comments- not necessarily political mais on people, TV presenters, life situations ...

GrannyGravy13 Wed 03-Jul-19 14:54:24

I have not got a problem with Muslims.

I have a problem with the likes of Daesh, the radical Imams and the terrorists who blow up children at pop concerts, drive cars into tourists on a bridge in London and who go after people on a night out in and around Borough Market. These Terrorists were all followers of what I can only describe as Radical Islam.

Does that make me Islamaphobic?

EllanVannin Wed 03-Jul-19 16:42:57

In 2017 there were 3,000 terrorists/extremists on our streets. Mainly British. To say nothing of the hundreds who've returned from Syria.

M0nica Wed 03-Jul-19 16:45:02

Ellen does that include all Irish and extreme right wing terrorists?

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jul-19 16:45:50

No of course not gg13

Neither does having a problem with Israeli expansionist policies and their treatment if Palestinians make me anti Semitic

Grandad1943 Wed 03-Jul-19 19:38:01

GrannyGravy13 Quote [I have not got a problem with Muslims.

I have a problem with the likes of Daesh, the radical Imams and the terrorists who blow up children at pop concerts, drive cars into tourists on a bridge in London and who go after people on a night out in and around Borough Market. These Terrorists were all followers of what I can only describe as Radical Islam.

Does that make me Islamaphobic?] End Quote.

GrannyGravy13, those you speak on above are criminals in the same bracket as the street gangs who attack and knife others for nothing more than "drug sale turf".

Those so-called Muslims, through their warped minds kill and maim in the name of religion, while street gangs kill and maim in the name of territory and money.

Neither of the above groups is in any way representative of their ethnic backgrounds or the British population in general. For as stated, they are criminals that hide behind a facade that allows them in their warped minds to carry out what they do in a senseless front of legitimacy.

To hate the above people is not to be Islamophobic, but it is to hate the criminals who carry out the above actions, which is a normal reaction in many British people. However, no one should allow that hate to encompass the whole Muslim population of Britain.

EllanVannin Wed 03-Jul-19 20:01:08

It could do M0nica, after all a terrorist is a terrorist and I did say British.

EllanVannin Wed 03-Jul-19 20:04:04

The foreign ones will be in jail, of course ! Discrimination do you think ?

jura2 Wed 03-Jul-19 21:56:11

Great post Grandad- exactly.

And it would be easy to change the words around to apply to some radical Jews who are currently stealing the land and destroying the lives of the Palestinians. I have a big problem with them, and I am NOT anti-semitic.

Whitewavemark2 Thu 04-Jul-19 08:26:12

A dossier has been received by ITV which lists some seriously racial statements by Tory party members.

Some are so disgusting that they can’t possibly be quoted.

M0nica Thu 04-Jul-19 15:43:02

During the height of the Irish troubles I had Irish work colleagues who were abused because they were Irish (their accents gave them away) on the basis that all Irish people were, at the very,least, closet terrorists.

It is much the same with Islamaphobia. There will always be an ignorant contingent of the general public who blame a group for the actions of a few of that group.

Look how the Brexit vote has been used to encourage inter generational hostility. Young people are told that old people as a group voted Brexit and ruined their future. In truth many didn't. In my neck of the woods, where most people voted to remain, so did most of the older people.