Gransnet forums

News & politics

Hunt will continue dithering if he wins.

(44 Posts)
Day6 Wed 26-Jun-19 20:30:14

This, from the Spectator, regarding leaving the EU on Oct 31st.

blogs.spectator.co.uk/2019/06/the-flaw-in-jeremy-hunts-brexit-plan/?utm_source=Adestra&utm_medium=email&utm_content=Evening%20_Blend_20190626&utm_campaign=Evening_Blend

"Trying to force Brexit on that date, Hunt said, could lead to a general election, a Corbyn government, followed by no Brexit at all. If the government were close to cutting a deal, he has said, then we should extend the deadline. If there were no deal in sight, on the other hand, Hunt says he would take Britain out of the EU without a deal."

"But how much difference, in practice, is there between what Boris and Hunt are saying? Both, after all, are saying that they are prepared to leave without a deal – and the EU is adamant that it will not reopen negotiations."

"There is a strong likelihood, then, that we will end up leaving without a deal. All that Hunt’s approach would achieve is to prolong the day of reckoning yet further, put it off maybe another two, three months.

I don't think any of us could bear the dithering to go on.

I feel Brexit has to happen and if Boris Johnson is the MP who will take us out on Oct 31st, deal or no deal, he is the best man for the job. IMO.

I am not enamoured with either MP, but the one who is going to make it happen has to take the reins after Theresa May's futile attempts to get us out. I don't think the next PM will be in office long, but whether it is Johnson or Hunt, the man who pulls the plug on the EU will be remembered.

GabriellaG54 Tue 02-Jul-19 19:41:04

Anyone who talks about those in power being able to weather any storm following Brexit, is talking tommy rot.
No matter how much money one has, if there are no goods to buy or limits on how much of anything one can purchase, it will affect everyone regardless of income.
Only a fool would think that, in the process of leaving without a deal, they would somehow be exempt from any fallout.
They live here too.
Do you really suppose they'd hire a private plane to wherever, in order to buy goods, foodstuffs that you think will be unavailable after Brexit?
What nonsense

SirChenjin Tue 02-Jul-19 19:27:23

That is exactly what happens when you ask the electorate to vote yes/no without setting out exactly what it is they’re voting for. Our politicians have created this mess, you’re right - by not putting various options to the public vote. Yes/no is simply too vague.

Day6 Sun 30-Jun-19 09:34:58

BUT, our politicians have created the situation.

They acted without considering the electorate - those people who gave them their place in Parliament.

The negotiations ran and ran, parliament vetoed any progress or deal signing. Many people, whatever their views on Brexit have had enough of the games-playing.

The PM's determination to get a deal didn't work and I doubt if any further deal is on the cards. EU negotiators have been adamant about that. Take it or leave it.

So, two choices really, leave or stay. The next PM has to ensure we are out by Oct 31st. That is his mission.

SirChenjin Sat 29-Jun-19 19:43:53

No deal or Farage - is this really what U.K. politics has come to??

Day6 Sat 29-Jun-19 14:04:21

Parliament has already made it very clear that they will not sanction such a farce.

We'll see. The Farage effect might make those MPs who wanted to make it as difficult as possible rethink their voting choices.

Day6 Sat 29-Jun-19 14:01:38

The prospect of No Deal which was denied the negotiation team last time has, with consent of the HoC, been reinstated.

Yes, that was an interesting move by MPs. Again, self-serving and fearing for their jobs given the rise and rise of Farage and the Brexit Party.

It is amazing that such a newly formed party had such a powerful effect on those who had wanted to block Brexit. Voting for the Brexit Party was a protest vote, and I think the message was hammered home. Deliver Brexit or two major parties go to the wall. Look at those MPs keen to stay onside now.

Sadly, Boris is the strongest bet in this two horse race I think. What a choice, eh, but we do need a real Brexiteer to take the reins. If the Oct 31st deadline comes and goes and we are still in the EU, lots of MPs might as well start packing up their parliamentary offices - and they know it.

If Labour oppose and make it difficult the party is likely to be so unpopular it will collapse. I think the Conservative Party will also fold if Brexit is not delivered.

It's an interesting time in politics and no one can forget the Brexit Party is out there waiting and likely to step in if the two major parties cock up again.

I am hoping the government and the opposition can make it happen.

Urmstongran Sat 29-Jun-19 13:54:27

Boris was merely refuting claims that had been made about water. Now his comment has been taken out of context and the Remainers just love it.

SirChenjin Sat 29-Jun-19 13:42:18

Boris can commit to leaving without a deal all he likes - but it’s not within his power to offer that. Parliament has already made it very clear that they will not sanction such a farce.

As for the idea that Boris and his crack team can negotiate a better deal - ha! He’s an utter buffoon who caused so much offence as FS I can imagine the EU leaders are rubbing their hands in glee at the thought of getting hold of him and his team - it will be like cats playing with mice.

crystaltipps Sat 29-Jun-19 11:25:18

“Crack negotiators “ who are they?
Boris has also said we’ll still have drinking water on Oct 31st - so that’s ambition for you. Marvellous - makes it all worth it.

Urmstongran Sat 29-Jun-19 09:57:17

Boris will make a decent leader. He has more courage than Mrs May had.

Plus he will surround himself with a Brexiteer Cabinet and crack negotiators. No more Olly Robbins, yay! What a stitch up that WA was. Duplicitous finagling behind closed doors and presented to the Cabinet no less, at the 11th hour as a done deal ‘or resign and call a taxi home’.

Jeez.

The prospect of No Deal which was denied the negotiation team last time has, with consent of the HoC, been reinstated.

A whole new ball game with Boris and his team!

Watch this space, as in:

“ConHome: “Brexit and all that, do or die.
It must be the case, must it not, that every member of your Cabinet, when you appoint them, must be committed to leaving on 31st October, deal or no deal?”

Johnson: “Yes, that will be the policy of the Government.”
?

jura2 Sat 29-Jun-19 09:40:19

I shall make another prediction, if he tries to by-pass Parliament and prorogue- he will have a true REVOLUTION on his hands, and worse.

jura2 Sat 29-Jun-19 09:39:34

Do you really think bumbling BoJo will be able to get a magical, all singing, all dancing with unicorns on top deal? Just by bumbling and bullying and banging on the table? Really?

I am not a betting person, but ... He will last 2 minutes and will be shown for what he is, bumbling bully without a clue. He does not even understand the very basics of WTO!

GabriellaG54 Fri 28-Jun-19 22:59:31

Although aware of BJ's 'frailties', I think the milk-sop Hunt is not enough of a character to get done what needs to be done.
Ideally, we need a hybrid of Thatcher, Merkel and Putin. You don't mess with people like that.

jura2 Fri 28-Jun-19 22:15:04

He is intelligent, and he has studied the issues very carefully.

Not even God will be able to help us if Bojo comes and runs around like a bull in a china shop.

Mark my words - you aint' seen nothing yet.

Urmstongran Fri 28-Jun-19 22:11:31

Rory Stewart!!
God help us.
??

Brexit is coming.
I can feel it.
It’s taken a while but it’s within touching distance now!

jura2 Fri 28-Jun-19 21:26:42

And Rory Stewart explains this well, Johnson has not got a clue - he doesn't even begin to understand the basics of the situation we find ourselves in:

www.facebook.com/Channel4News/videos/467463947154190/

jura2 Fri 28-Jun-19 15:20:24

If you are about to push the country and its people down a cliff- perhaps dithering makes total sense !?!

Callistemon Thu 27-Jun-19 23:13:12

I dont trust Corbyn. As far as have seen Corbyn seems to have been an invisible man throughout this campaign.
confused
is he supposed to be campaigning?
For what? or rather, for whom?

jura2 Thu 27-Jun-19 21:11:40

You can see the invisible? LOL...

on the other hand, should Keir Starmer take over ...he was brilliant in the HoC today.

Resurgam123 Thu 27-Jun-19 20:32:36

I dont trust Corbyn. As far as have seen Corbyn seems to have been an invisible man throughout this campaign.

jura2 Thu 27-Jun-19 20:26:41

Agreed.

Dinahmo Thu 27-Jun-19 20:25:32

Re tuition fees - if the entrepreneurs had been to university and they made a lot of money, why shouldn't they pay back their fees. One assumes that they learned something that helped them in their business.

Callistemon Thu 27-Jun-19 19:36:00

Nor me!

Hunt's latest is that those who start up businesses and employing 10? people within 5 years will not have to pay back their tuition fees from university.

hmm
Now, where does that leave teachers, nurses, doctors, other professionals?

And, in many cases, those who set up entrepreneurial businesses are not necessarily those who went to university anyway - they may consider it a waste of 4 or so years when they could be getting on and setting up their businesses.

jura2 Thu 27-Jun-19 18:42:46

I'd guessed GG13 - and I am glad to see there is no-one on GN who would ;)

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-Jun-19 18:01:50

jura2 not me.