Gransnet forums

News & politics

What is the matter with Merkel?

(75 Posts)
MawBroonsback Thu 27-Jun-19 11:11:57

German Chancellor Angela Merkel was seen trembling once again during a ceremony in Berlin on Thursday, eight days after a similar incident.
Video showed Mrs Merkel, 64, gripping her arms as her body was shaking on Thursday. After about two minutes, she looked steadier and shook hands with the new justice minister.
She was offered a glass of water, but did not drink it.
Mrs Merkel had blamed the previous incident on dehydration.
Her spokesman said she would set off for Japan as planned at lunchtime.
"All is going ahead as planned. The federal chancellor is fine," spokesman Steffen Seibert said.

Does anybody recognise these symptoms?
Panic attack perhaps?

suziewoozie Thu 27-Jun-19 17:45:18

And then there’s the people who think it’s something to joke about

POGS Thu 27-Jun-19 17:56:01

It could be so many things but who could not feel concern for her.

I wish Mutti Merkel good health, as I would anybody in her stressful position.

Slowcookervegan Thu 27-Jun-19 18:08:26

Poor woman to be in the worlds eye whilst unwell.

JenniferEccles Thu 27-Jun-19 18:17:38

Of course I wouldn’t wish illness on her and if it turns out she is ill then I would be sorry. However I haven’t liked her since her idiotic ‘all are welcome ‘ policy on immigration brought floods of migrants into Germany and Europe in general

GrannyGravy13 Thu 27-Jun-19 18:22:01

I do not like her politics but nevertheless I wish her well.

TerriBull Thu 27-Jun-19 18:31:24

She looked very uncomfortable and was no doubt aware of the eyes of the world on her. I wish her better and hope that whatever she is suffering from it isn't serious. If necessary I hope she is able to take herself off somewhere quiet out of the public gaze to recover.

Jabberwok Thu 27-Jun-19 18:33:25

I'm not that keen on Mrs Merkel's politics, but I certainly do not wish her to be ill or any other bad thing. I hope whatever it is, it is something not serious and easily resolved.
I wish her well.

GillT57 Thu 27-Jun-19 18:38:42

I wish her well and feel very sorry for her, having the eyes of the world and the press on you must be dreadful. She is one of the few politicians who acts with dignity, self control and respect ( and she makes Trump very uncomfortable indeed!).

suziewoozie Thu 27-Jun-19 18:39:07

There are many politicians whose policies I do not approve of to a greater or lesser extent but if they were clearly showing signs of illness whilst carrying out a formal engagement and trying to keep their dignity, I wouldn’t make a joke about it.

Lessismore Thu 27-Jun-19 19:18:48

She seems a decent and compassionate woman.

Jabberwok Thu 27-Jun-19 19:30:00

Who's made a joke about it?!

suziewoozie Thu 27-Jun-19 22:14:14

JenniferEccles

Urmstongran Thu 27-Jun-19 22:26:18

Never mind politics, this poor woman is ill, and having to try and hide the symptoms on whatever ails her, must be very distressing, as she is in the spotlight all of the time.

Get well soon Mutti.
warm wishes from one woman to another. x

Callistemon Thu 27-Jun-19 23:27:04

I would have thought by looking at her she was having rigors but that is usually part of an infection and it didn't look as if she is ill with a fever.

I am sure she is receiving the best of attention and hope it is nothing serious.

Jane10 Fri 28-Jun-19 10:18:49

How could anyone make a joke about this?! angry

Blinko Fri 28-Jun-19 10:23:05

I wonder if it could be to do with the extreme heat that mainland Europe is suffering at present.

MawBroonsback Fri 28-Jun-19 10:24:01

My initial thought was rigors too Callistemon , Paw used to get them frequently, rapidly followed by temperature spikes and IV antibiotics usually featured shortly thereafter. hmm

Callistemon Fri 28-Jun-19 19:55:37

I had rigors once, very frightening and I had no idea what was happening. It turned out to be sepsis.

Jane10 Fri 28-Jun-19 20:18:53

I had bad rigors as a reaction to anaesthetics. It was absolutely uncontrollable. Maybe she's on some some of medication? Lots of people her age (our age!) are.

GabriellaG54 Fri 28-Jun-19 22:54:38

Reports by the medical fraternity state that dehydration does not and cannot cause the shakes.
Going without food can, but Angela doesn't look an underfed Hausfrau.

MawBroonsback Thu 11-Jul-19 09:14:44

Acute dehydration can and does on occasion cause trembling or “rigors” as I have observed, confirmed by paramedics.
Bitchy remarks about an “underfed Hausfrau” could be taken as racist too of course. But be that as it may, although I might have expected a more considered observation.
Ketosis can manifest itself in those who are better covered and not only the skeletally thin.
However, it has now occurred a third time and suggestions of a psychosomatic response are almost as worrying as a physical problem. I have a lot of time for Merkel too and am concerned that her role is taking this toll on her health.
German privacy laws and a respect for the affairs of public figures mean there are very few leaks in national press. Did anybody know that previous German chancellors have successfully hidden health issues in the past?
Helmut Schmidt revealed in 2015 that he had fallen unconscious at least a hundred times during his chancellorship in the late Seventies and early Eighties due to a heart condition.

SirChenjin Thu 11-Jul-19 09:38:18

Look like an underfed Hausfrau??

Nasty.

Maggiemaybe Thu 11-Jul-19 09:39:31

Whatever the problem is, Mrs Merkel’s health is now going to be the subject of increased speculation, some of it mischievous and damaging. She’d probably be best advised just to come out and say what the issue is. As a very private person, this won’t come easy, but it would stop potentially hurtful and harmful rumours escalating.

SirChenjin Thu 11-Jul-19 10:10:42

Perhaps they don’t know, perhaps it’s a side effect of other medication that would give the media a field day, perhaps she and her family are trying to come to terms with it before they announce it to the world, perhaps they are still waiting for test results before they confirm things...could be any number of reasons why they haven’t announced it.

I think it’s really none of our business at this stage. There’s obviously something going on but she’s entitled to her privacy - it’s not affecting her ability to do her job, it’s just public nosiness.

EllanVannin Thu 11-Jul-19 10:39:14

Alcohol ?