Gransnet forums

News & politics

Rights to stay in UK for EU nationals...

(10 Posts)
Dinahmo Thu 04-Jul-19 12:00:41

The examples given all mention people who have been employed in the UK. Given that HMRC have supposedly sophisticated computer systems which should have the individual's employment records shouldn't that be sufficient?

After all records are kept of our pension contributions so that they can work out the amount of pension to pay.

The same applies to the Windrush people.

EllanVannin Tue 02-Jul-19 19:58:02

It gives a whole new meaning to " fallen off the back of a lorry ".

EllanVannin Tue 02-Jul-19 19:56:39

It seems to be the ones who are already registered and traceable that the Home Office are keen to repatriate------instead of getting off their backsides tracking those who've no right to be here. There must be nigh on a million illegals that they can't be bothered seeking out.

paddyann Tue 02-Jul-19 19:31:53

My daughters friend a well respected GP who works in out out of hours service has also had issues with her residency,she's been here over 20 years and has a husband and children all born in Scotland.She has to travel to London every time they come up with something else she has to answer or sign and quite frankly its disgraceful.
She has an online petition for support ,frankly if I were her I'd take my family and head off somewhere where the government appreciates its workforce/taxpayers .Time Scotland had control over its own immigration ,westminster is a waste of space

Callistemon Tue 02-Jul-19 19:15:08

Well, she has either completed the application wrongly (which seems strange) or there is something else in her background which we are not party to.

GillT57 Tue 02-Jul-19 18:36:44

The mood has certainly changed Greta and despite the quick and easy process which many are undertaking to enable them to stay here with their jobs/families/homes etc., they shouldn't have to do this. It is ungracious at the very least to make people go through hoops, however easy, to stay where they have paid taxes and been legal citizens. The more this business of Brexit unfolds, the more ashamed I am of this country.

Greta Tue 02-Jul-19 18:31:51

EU nationals are not one homogenous group. For some the registration process will be pretty straight forward, for others it will not.

It is not the registration as such that is of importance to EU nationals. It is how they will be treated. No ”You re welcome to stay” promise from the government will help if they are experiencing a hostile environment.

I have several friends who have now achieved settled status. One 80 year old lady who has been here for 60 years was recently told to ”go back where you came from.Why should we be paying your pension?” It seems some people feel the referendum has given them legitimacy to voice their hostile attitudes. The mood has changed.

dragonfly46 Tue 02-Jul-19 11:51:32

There is always more to these stories than meets the eye. I think the true facts should be revealed before judging.

GrannyGravy13 Tue 02-Jul-19 11:48:57

jura2 my European DIL filled in the form on line paid £65 it literally took a few minutes. She has since had her money refunded as there is no longer a charge for permanent residency.

My best friend who is also from the EU, been here 40 years has done this, no problems whatsoever.

Obviously something has gone wrong in your OP application, they should appeal with all the necessary information to hand.

jura2 Tue 02-Jul-19 11:40:49

yes, they were given all sorts of promises- told they would just have to register. But real life stories are emerging every day that this is NOT the case.

French teacher, 27 years fulltime permanent residence, 26 years home owner, 20 years at same address, tax payer of course, NI number active since 92 - refused to stay as insufficient evidence sad