Gransnet forums

News & politics

Turkeys voting for Christmas

(29 Posts)
trisher Wed 03-Jul-19 11:15:16

The North East voted mostly for Brexit. They are set to lose EU funding and the government has not yet given any indication of what will replace the money -apart from a name the Shared Prosperity Fund how much it will be and how much we will get is undecided.
£726 million of European funding will be lost.
Have we really been Turkeys voting for Christmas?

varian Fri 05-Jul-19 14:34:46

A leaked government paper shows brexit would devastate the economy of the NE.

www.chroniclelive.co.uk/

Day6 Fri 05-Jul-19 14:21:25

Whitewave

I patiently tell her where I got the information

Reads as "I patronise and belittle her at every opportunity because I know better."

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Jul-19 14:04:27

They have just announced that this venture will provide 2,500 new jobs.

GrannyGravy13 Fri 05-Jul-19 12:59:08

Jaguar Land Rover have announced that they are going to manufacture several new models of Electric Cars at Castle Bromwich, East Midlands.

MaizieD Fri 05-Jul-19 12:21:28

Indeed they were, maddy. They were fined for illegal overspending.
Who said anything about lying? I didn't.

It's the illegality which caused the referendum result to be corrupted, not the lies.

maddyone Fri 05-Jul-19 11:55:03

I had understood that Maizie, that Leave were fined for over spending, not for lying. But I apologise if I am incorrect.

MaizieD Fri 05-Jul-19 11:29:58

No idea what you think you mean by your last post. Lies are not illegalities. Leave campaigns were fined the maximum fine the Electoral Commission are permitted to impose for illegal conduct. They work to standards of proof required by criminal law. The offenders have been referred to the police and we're awaiting the outcome of police investigations.

Nobody is fined for 'lies' (though they really should be...)

maddyone Fri 05-Jul-19 11:24:07

Were there any charges? No! Why not?

A lie is a lie.

MaizieD Fri 05-Jul-19 11:18:45

Unfortunately both sides lied, so are equally reprehensible.

maddyone, can you not understand that there is a difference between lying and illegality?

maddyone Fri 05-Jul-19 11:15:01

Unfortunately both sides lied, so are equally reprehensible.
But the people voted as they voted, you only need to watch tv news or political programmes to see that the public are aware of the lies perpetuated by both sides, but still chose to vote as they did, just as we all did.

MaizieD Fri 05-Jul-19 11:12:02

Rightly or wrongly I think many people blame immigration for this.

I've always found that really ironic, gillybob, because the NE has one of the lowest immigration rates in Britain!

GrandmaKT Fri 05-Jul-19 11:07:50

What will happen to the fishing quotas if we go out with no deal?

MaizieD Fri 05-Jul-19 11:07:21

Was it not undemocratic of this country not to have accepted the final total back in 2016 ?

For a start, EV, whether or not individuals accepted it is neither here nor there. The current government accepted it and tried to implement it.

However, it is the democratic right of people to oppose a decision they disagree with; it's even enshrined in our constitution as 'Her Majesty's loyal Opposition'.

It is also held that democracy involves 'free and fair' voting. The referendum fulfilled the first requirement 'free' but signally failed to fulfil the second, 'fair'. Blindly respecting the result of a corrupted process is not democratic in my, and thousands of others, eyes.

Whitewavemark2 Fri 05-Jul-19 10:58:45

gilly we have loads of Eu immigrants in our part if the world, but no problem with high unemployment or low wages, unless you consider a lot of skilled work is undervalued.

No your problem is lack of investment in your area. Nothing more than that.

EllanVannin Fri 05-Jul-19 10:54:45

If we had some decent politicians and economists etc. we wouldn't need bolstering by anyone else. What our lot are doing now is" crying over spilt milk" concerning something which was created by them !

Was it not undemocratic of this country not to have accepted the final total back in 2016 ?

maddyone Fri 05-Jul-19 10:32:48

I think many people voted to leave because they see/saw the EU as fundamentally undemocratic, and because of the EU’s ambition to pursue ‘ever closer union.’

gillybob Thu 04-Jul-19 12:46:08

Many people were just looking for somewhere to lay the blame for the lack of overall investment in their area. We have the highest unemployment in the country here where I live and the lowest paid jobs. Rightly or wrongly I think many people blame immigration for this.

trisher Thu 04-Jul-19 12:39:42

Dinahmo I think possibly Hull still holds distrust for the EU as a legacy of the fishing industry. Fish quotas and regulations have always been seen as ruining the fishing business. Even the huge investment and City of Culture haven't managed to wipe that out.

Dinahmo Thu 04-Jul-19 12:29:51

I remember at the time of the referendum seeing a news item on Hull and the regeneration of the Old Town. Over the last 5 years Hull has received £52 million from the EU for projects which created many jobs. Yet despite that 67.6% voted to leave. Now Hull Old Town is described as a hidden treasure and is a tourist destination.

Turkeys or what?

trisher Thu 04-Jul-19 11:33:07

I wondered if any Brexiteers would come on and explain how the £726million didn't matter, but it seems no one really thinks that. Newcastle voted to remain but most of the NE wanted to leave. I can't help thinking things are going to really get worse.

EllanVannin Wed 03-Jul-19 15:41:30

A GE would be interesting ! I wouldn't be voting for either---if at all ! Johnson's pushing Brexit in the hope that people will vote for him in a GE, as is Farage who thinks he can knock out the Lib Dems.

I've never come across such a bunch of shysters in all my life. They've created hostilities all over the place at home and abroad. Shame on the lot of them.

EllanVannin Wed 03-Jul-19 15:33:39

A vote for Brexit was criminal. I'm disappointed to say the least that folk didn't think before putting their X's.

Both Farage and Johnson have been known for their racist remarks and both vote for Brexit------strange that. Does that speak for all Brexiteers ? Why vote for them ??

Whitewavemark2 Wed 03-Jul-19 13:12:36

eazybee follows me around saying that gilly?

eazy I am quoting Philip Hammond. All except the last sentence.

I patiently tell her where I got the information?

gillybob Wed 03-Jul-19 13:09:37

Isn't that what the OP asked for ? confused

eazybee Wed 03-Jul-19 13:07:29

Once again, your opinion.