Gransnet forums

News & politics

We must have our say

(59 Posts)
Whitewavemark2 Thu 18-Jul-19 18:06:46

With the latest figures from the government when Brexit takes place,, we must be allowed our say. None of us knew how much it was going to affect us.

Every fair minded person must recognise this.

Urmstongran Sun 21-Jul-19 11:36:19

Maybe we should all just stop opining about Brexit. Views are entrenched now. The same supporters in each camp posting news or views that back up ‘our’ stance? Is it boring 3 years on or is it grist for the mill?

varian Sun 21-Jul-19 11:49:04

According to ug- "Remain voters are ramping up their rhetoric now that we are certain to be Leaving."

Nothing is certain.

Urmstongran Sun 21-Jul-19 11:57:20

We are leaving. Better get used to it varian
Either via Boris or Nigel.

5 EU countries are now in talks with Boris. No Deal is focusing minds. It should never have been voted off the table.

Mind you I am beginning to wonder how many Prime Ministers we are going to have to go through before Brexit happens as the remainer MPs are already plotting the downfall of the next PM even before he takes up the position. Let us hope that at the next GE they are all wiped out.

Jabberwok Sun 21-Jul-19 12:23:16

D.C did not ask the nations advice! He made it quite clear that whatever the nation decided would be adhered to, first past the post! A leaflet was sent to every household, again making it crystal clear that the result of the 'once in a lifetime ' referendum would be respected and upheld! Guess what? 80% of parliament agreed and signed up for article 50!! It was YOU choose, and we will do it!

GracesGranMK3 Sun 21-Jul-19 12:46:16

With one post you say "views are very entrenched now" as if you are making a reasonable point UG and in the next you declare, in the most entrenched (and rudest) of voices "We are leaving. Better get used to it varian".

Leaving with no deal is only wanted by a third of the country and yet, to make his own reputation a cynical Boris may indeed deny parliamentary democracy and decided to crash our economy and burn our democracy. On the other hand he may find it useful to take an extension.

The only thing that anyone knows is that no one can see the future and that those who see this as the greatest event in our country since the war will go on making their arguments on both sides. I do not want to become a dependency of the USA and nor do I want to live in a country ruled by the far right so perhaps UG you "need to accept" that you may not be able to completely change our country by just making one vote which wasn't legally binding.

lemongrove Sun 21-Jul-19 16:06:22

Yes Urmston I read today that various countries have been putting out feelers ready to talk to Johnson about a deal,
And some have actively been talking to him behind the scenes.
I think we we see a better deal for the UK now ( no deal isn’t what Johnson wants but he is prepared to use it.)
Pity that May didn’t stand down last year.

Jabberwok Sun 21-Jul-19 18:42:26

By signing up to article.50, 80% of MP's endorsed and put into law our exit from the EU.

GracesGranMK3 Sun 21-Jul-19 20:31:14

So what Jabberwok? Parliament is allowed to change its mind when circumstances change. So many know so much more than they did three years ago. At that time Johnson believed when we had left we could still have a place at the EU table. If that was the knowledge guiding the man who had possibly the greatest sway on the referendum we can, parliament can, change its mind.